ADVERTISEMENT

Is Kakert still on Petrus Island?

Iza

HR Legend
Feb 17, 2003
Love the podcast, and I get that Tom is so close to this team he really can't be overly critical or take a 'negative' stand, but I was shocked when he said he was still on Petrus Island.

Good gravy! Fine work as always by the fellas, but I'm probably the 100,000,000th Hawkeye fan to also ask when enough is enough.

I don’t know how anyone could defend what we witnessed Saturday. I was really curious to see how KF would defend it but he was never really asked to. I’m genuinely curious what still gives KF confidence in Petras but no one from the Iowa media asked him.

The concensus among people who watch practice, both players and coaches, is that Petras is head and shoulders above everyone. So Tom could be on Petras island from the standpoint of thinking he’s the best option of what we have.

Anyone who’s ever watched a down or football know that he’s incapable of playing P5 QB which is a condemnation of KF staff inability to recruit and develop QB talent.

The concensus among people who watch practice, both players and coaches, is that Petras is head and shoulders above everyone. So Tom could be on Petras island from the standpoint of thinking he’s the best option of what we have.

Anyone who’s ever watched a down or football know that he’s incapable of playing P5 QB which is a condemnation of KF staff inability to recruit and develop QB talent.
I heard that he practices well. LOL

Me to a bottle of hand lotion: WE PRACTICE WELL! :)

How bad do the rest of the QB's have to be if this is the case? And if they are, who was responsible for bringing them into the program?

I don’t know how anyone could defend what we witnessed Saturday. I was really curious to see how KF would defend it but he was never really asked to. I’m genuinely curious what still gives KF confidence in Petras but no one from the Iowa media asked him.
I don't think anyone defends what happened, and I certainly haven't seen Kakert defending it. The only thing he did was say the issues are bigger than QB. And in re-watching the game, there are massive issues other than the QB (most notably the line). But the QB is definitely part of the overall problem. I know we as fans want instant things and the remedy has to be as easy as just switching QB's. My guess, and only a guess, is that Petras is given first shot on Saturday. And he may even get the whole game unless he gets hurt. But if the QB and offense continues to be awful, they will make a change. But the staff clearly thought he was the obvious QB1 coming out of camp. They aren't going to pull the plug after 1 game.

I get that the argument is that he's had 2+ years, not just 1 game. I think the obvious answer is that the staff doesn't think whoever is on the bench is better. That is not a great situation to be in.

Reactions: Ree4 and DogBoyRy
Offense doesn't get credit for that 3 points. The D stuffed SDSU and made them punt from their 10, with Iowa getting the ball at the 37, kicking the fg from the 31 after only gaining 5 yards and no first down.
I'm gonna track this just for shits and giggles.

Defense/St gets credit for points on a relative contributions basis. It takes a lot to go the length of the field and score, but when the offense takes over at the 20 and can't punch it in did they have anything to do with the field goal? In reality all they did was waste a red zone opportunity that was handed to them.

What if we tracked points like this. Defense/special teams gets credit for:
Every defensive score.
Every field goal where drives start on opponents side of the field.
Half of the points from TD's starting inside opponent's 35 yard line.

Saturday would have credited 7 points to the defense/special teams.

Reactions: blhawk
We think Harbaugh is batshit crazy, but he did start one QB last game and played both and is starting the other QB this coming weekend. That is one thing I don't know why we don't try that. If they know the plays and the system, either should be in there and capable.

How bad do the rest of the QB's have to be if this is the case? And if they are, who was responsible for bringing them into the program?
No doubt. If that is the case, then that is ultimately KF and staff's fault. They are responsible for recruiting, development, scheme and ultimately the results. If there is another bad offensive season this year, the focus should be solely on the staff and its shortcomings, not the players. One could argue that should have been the case this off-season, but the remedy was to have KOK retire, give the QB duties to BF, hire Abdul Hodge to coach TE's and fullbacks and bring in Budmayr as an analyst. If that doesn't work this year, there will be loud clamoring that the OC needs to go.

I think that these questions have already been answered.

Petras had the worst outing of any Iowa QB in many years and played the entire game. He will be starting the game this Saturday in light of that performance. That should be an indication of how the coaches feel about the current abilities of the other QB's on the roster to effectively lead the team.

QB is far and away the single most important position on the team and most vital to its success or lack thereof. As such no other position gets as much attention from the OC and head coach. Brian and Kirk own the Iowa offense and are directly responsible for the current state of the quarterback room. Given Brian's additional responsibilities as QB coach last winter there is no one else currently with direct involvement with that position.

Last edited:
Did anyone really believe that Ferentz truly had a QB evaluation? Was anyone surprised that Petras was named the starter? I love how Ferentz praises the Iowa fans, for good cause, by the way, but considers them outside noise if they aren't totally loyal to him and his vision of the team.

I'm gonna track this just for shits and giggles.

Defense/St gets credit for points on a relative contributions basis. It takes a lot to go the length of the field and score, but when the offense takes over at the 20 and can't punch it in did they have anything to do with the field goal? In reality all they did was waste a red zone opportunity that was handed to them.

What if we tracked points like this. Defense/special teams gets credit for:
Every defensive score.
Every field goal where drives start on opponents side of the field.
Half of the points from TD's starting inside opponent's 35 yard line.

Saturday would have credited 7 points to the defense/special teams.
People were doing this last year. There were 3 or 4 games where the D actually outscored the O with pick 6s and fumble recorvery TDs. Certainly 4 or 5 wins came directly from ST and D scoring.

Points gained from the offense taking over within fg range and failing to get gain a first down should absolutely count for the D.

Reactions: IAHUNTER and blhawk
The frankly relatively useless coachspeak phrase "He had a good week of practice" is highlighted nowhere better than this case. Unless it's in relation to rehabbing from an injury, how a senior player with a large body of in game snaps is performing in the controlled setting of practice is worth very little. Other than as a non-answer to a softball question.

Reactions: iowaflash and nu2u
The question Kirk needs to be asked if Spencer is so great in practice is, “At what point do the games matter?”

This. At this point… I don’t care if he looks like a Heisman Trophy winner in practice… he clearly cannot perform in the game.

We might as well take a look at some of those guys who don’t practice as well… Maybe one of them is a gamer. I mean… we can’t get much worse.

People were doing this last year. There were 3 or 4 games where the D actually outscored the O with pick 6s and fumble recorvery TDs. Certainly 4 or 5 wins came directly from ST and D scoring.

Points gained from the offense taking over within fg range and failing to get gain a first down should absolutely count for the D.
Yeah it would be nice to have this ready when the "but 10 wins..." crowd throws that out every time they get butthurt that fans might have the audacity to suggest that it's long past time the offense carries its weight in this program. Again, nobody expects elite offense but something close to average should be an attainable expectation

Reactions: oldnewkirk.0
I think that these questions have already been answered.

Petras had the worst outing of any Iowa QB in many years and played the entire game. He will be starting the game this Saturday in light of that performance. That should be an indication of how the coaches feel about the current abilities of the other QB's on the roster to effectively lead the team.

QB is far and away the single most important position on the team and most vital to its success or lack thereof. As such no other position gets as much attention from the OC and head coach. Brian and Kirk own the Iowa offense and are directly responsible for the current state of the quarterback room. Given Brian's additional responsibilities as QB coach last winter there is no one else currently with direct involvement with that position.
This reply sums it up for me as well…by all accounts any QB camp and/or QB consultant was just smoke and mirrors to give us fans hope for the season. Also a waste of money on someone’s part. I don’t think anyone is praising the performance of the OL, but it was painfully obvious that SP still locks in on the primary receiver, over throws all receivers when given time, and just might be the most immobile player on the team. So here we are. 😕

I get that the argument is that he's had 2+ years, not just 1 game. I think the obvious answer is that the staff doesn't think whoever is on the bench is better. That is not a great situation to be in.

Exactly!

And he had the entire off-season and fall camp to get Padilla (or Labas) ready ...but chose to believe his lying eyes and roll the dice one more time when it came to the D-III QB on the roster.

Reactions: iowaflash
We will need the OL to block somebody, anybody, to have any hope on offense. Otherwise if the OL continues to perform like they did on Saturday I would hope Kirk is smart enough to punt on 1st down like Hayden did to save field position.

ADVERTISEMENT