ADVERTISEMENT

Is Kakert still on Petrus Island?

Bigger issue is OL, IMO.
Agree but it’s hard to change OL play at this point, they could try the younger guys but don’t see OL improving much right now.

But a change in the QB is a lot easier to do and experiment with; what I don’t get is why does Petras have the golden ticket to be the unquestionable starter at this point? A little competition and QB controversy may bring out the best in him, who knows, but another look with AP, JB or CM couldn’t hurt anything, it literally can’t get any worse than it is right now.

Sure there is a QB controversy amongst the fans, but sure as hell doesn’t seem to be in the coaches mind.

We will need the OL to block somebody, anybody, to have any hope on offense. Otherwise if the OL continues to perform like they did on Saturday I would hope Kirk is smart enough to punt on 1st down like Hayden did to save field position.
You could do 3 hands to Pottebaum and then punt.

His little brother was there Saturday. Looks to be maybe sophomorish in high school in age and holy heck is that a big kid. I would hate to have that grocery bill.

The concensus among people who watch practice, both players and coaches, is that Petras is head and shoulders above everyone. So Tom could be on Petras island from the standpoint of thinking he’s the best option of what we have.

Anyone who’s ever watched a down or football know that he’s incapable of playing P5 QB which is a condemnation of KF staff inability to recruit and develop QB talent.
Petras might be the best we have , but that is an indictment of our QB recruiting and coaching.

Reactions: mlb1399
I didn't expect perfect but he was really bad, like open door bad.
I didn't expect him to be great but not bad. What was more surprising was others who weren't in their first games at a new position looking as bad as he did.

Reactions: MVPFAN
Agree but it’s hard to change OL play at this point, they could try the younger guys but don’t see OL improving much right now.

But a change in the QB is a lot easier to do and experiment with; what I don’t get is why does Petras have the golden ticket to be the unquestionable starter at this point? A little competition and QB controversy may bring out the best in him, who knows, but another look with AP, JB or CM couldn’t hurt anything, it literally can’t get any worse than it is right now.

Sure there is a QB controversy amongst the fans, but sure as hell doesn’t seem to be in the coaches mind.
I'm with you.
The either it's the qb or the line approach to both evaluation of the problem and thoughts on solution is incorrect. There's good evidence that they are both highly problematic.
The question then is why is the line the only place to look for a solution. Any number of o-line combinations can, and probably will, be tried. But the qb is exempt from this?
I'd go further than just putting Padilla or Labas in for a few series. Why not run some wildcat? DeJean would be a great one to try that with.

True. But, someone with escapability can hide some of those issues. That screen pass was an all-time shit play by a qb who isn't comfortable under pressure.

For a week or two, until they get injured... Quality mobile quarterbacks don't last long, average mobile quarterbacks don't last at all.

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
Yeah it would be nice to have this ready when the "but 10 wins..." crowd throws that out every time they get butthurt that fans might have the audacity to suggest that it's long past time the offense carries its weight in this program. Again, nobody expects elite offense but something close to average should be an attainable expectation
How many good teams did we beat in that 10 win season, even PSU and Wisconsin had bad years by their standards.

The concensus among people who watch practice, both players and coaches, is that Petras is head and shoulders above everyone. So Tom could be on Petras island from the standpoint of thinking he’s the best option of what we have.

Anyone who’s ever watched a down or football know that he’s incapable of playing P5 QB which is a condemnation of KF staff inability to recruit and develop QB talent.
It just doesn't make sense for this to be true, BUT, if it is - the staff has missed on Petras, Deuce Hogan, Padilla, Labas, and May.

How pathetic is that. Ouch. Mayyyyyybe time for a change in approach to recruiting the position?? Just a thought.... good god.

I didn't expect him to be great but not bad. What was more surprising was others who weren't in their first games at a new position looking as bad as he did.
I didn't really pay attention, did anyone observe Plumb's performance? Was it mostly serviceable?

If the line can't block nobody can play the quarterback position....

He had several chances on Saturday without pressure. Yes, the line was bad. They looked totally unprepared to adjust to any stunt SDSU threw at them and the tackles got beaten off the edge more than once. Jones looked lost. Petras was worse than the O Line. The missed screen pass was worse than Stanley overthrowing Hockenson at PSU in 2018.

Reactions: J-Prof

Sounds like Petras is probably a practice scrimmage all American LOL. I remember when it Jake Rudock vs CJ Beathard, and I always got the impression from Kirk that CJ was not great in practice which is why he stuck with Rudock so long. So CJ is the polar opposite of Spencer, not great in practice but shows up and plays on game day.

Padilla started the first half against Nebraska last season and got yanked.
It was on the road, though. He had two scoring drives, one of which should've been a TD pass but the TE dropped it. Petras went on to have 0 TD passes as well.

But more to the point, has Padilla ever played an entire game and scored single digits? Petras has done that 4 times in his past 13 starts, twice at home. So why the short leash on Padilla?

Sounds like Petras is probably a practice scrimmage all American LOL. I remember when it Jake Rudock vs CJ Beathard, and I always got the impression from Kirk that CJ was not great in practice which is why he stuck with Rudock so long. So CJ is the polar opposite of Spencer, not great in practice but shows up and plays on game day.
No one has said he’s a practice all American. Just that he’s better than the other QB’s. Which tells you how crappy they are.

• Haha
Reactions: scotthawk1964
Petras might be the best we have , but that is an indictment of our QB recruiting and coaching.
100%. They also took 8 OL from 2018-2020 and completely whiffed on all but 2. And those 2 are injured. This mess comes down to really bad recruiting and lack of using the transfer portal to cover up these gaps.

Reactions: kcgolfer
No one has said he’s a practice all American. Just that he’s better than the other QB’s. Which tells you how crappy they are.
I wish people on here wouldn't call out our players as crappy. There are ways to express these things without insulting the players.

Reactions: Ree4

F*ck practice. Put in a football player. At least give them some damn live snaps in a game. Ferentz truly sucks at this point.

You know this how? We never get to see them play. Do you really trust Ferentz that much for his offensive genuis?
He's a horrible offensive coach.
Three posts in a row for me. That's enough.
Let's hope we see Spencer's lights come on this Saturday! I just keep thinking he could have an ephinany and it all comes together.

ADVERTISEMENT