ADVERTISEMENT

Is Mark Emmert crazy?

CP84

HR Heisman
Sep 10, 2013
In the MBB media poll, he ranked Iowa 12th in the conference, the lowest of all the media.

Fran meanwhile apparently believes he has a good team coming, given that he says he purposely scheduled a tough road. I could see Iowa ending up as low as #9 but I don't see how a team with Joe and Garza along with quality depth falls to 12.

In the MBB media poll, he ranked Iowa 12th in the conference, the lowest of all the media.

Fran meanwhile apparently believes he has a good team coming, given that he says he purposely scheduled a tough road. I could see Iowa ending up as low as #9 but I don't see how a team with Joe and Garza along with quality depth falls to 12.

We don't know how quality our depth is yet, especially at guard. Evelyn, Fredrick, Toussaint, etc. could be good, but who knows? We lost a lot of experience from last year's team: Moss would have been a RSr., and Bohannon and Cook were 3-year starters. Even Maishe Dailey would have been a senior. And now we have a brutal non-conference schedule on top of it--One that Fran scheduled BEFORE he lost all those players. So, Emmert isn't crazy. Pessimistic, but not crazy.

Before Bohannon was out, I had predicted Iowa would have a similar but more consistent and better overall year then last year.

To me, losing Bohannon is the big wild card and possibly the big hit. I’m not worried at all about losing Moss and while Cook was obviously talented and could do some things the other players on the team can’t, I’m of the belief they would have been more efficient going through Wieskamp and Garza as the 1-2 punch.

But losing Bohannon is losing the “gamer”, the cold blooded assasin, who was money at the FT line when holding a close lead. I still think Iowa will be an NCAA team (I think 12th is way too pessimistic with what they return) but the players filling the void for Bohannon need to step up big.

Emmett’s vote suggests his lack of confidence in Fran’s coaching. A lot of questions, but not as many for Fran as for the mayor, for instance.

I've seen Nunge and Fredrick in practice. I don't think we'll have any talent dropoff.

Keep in mind that Cook and Moss were rated relatively low on efficiency metrics. For win shares per 40 minutes, they were 5th and 8th among our regular rotation players.

For all the things they did well, they both had some real holes in their game. Moss was extremely streaky shooter with mediocre defense and ball control. Cook had limited shooting range, mediocre defense and turnover issues.

Our frontcourt depth will be deeper than last season if Pemsl plays. Last year we essentially had a 3 man frontcourt rotation. If one of them got into foul trouble then Till had to play. This year we'll have 4 deep plus Till as the emergency 5th.

The backcourt, even without Bohannon, could be improved. You have a more experienced Joe W and Connor, add a good on the ball defender in Toussaint, and Bakari is an improvement over Dailey. CJ will be a better all around player than Moss. He's already a better shooter and ball handler. Nunge will be a better fit for Fran's offense than Cook, as he can set screens at the top of the key and actually be a threat to knock down those jumpers.

I see no way this team finishes below 9th.

Last edited:
I've seen Nunge and Fredrick in practice. I don't think we'll have any talent dropoff.

Keep in mind that Cook and Moss were rated relatively low on efficiency metrics. For win shares per 40 minutes, they were 5th and 8th among our regular rotation players.

For all the things they did well, they both had some real holes in their game. Moss was extremely streaky shooter with mediocre defense and ball control. Cook had limited shooting range, mediocre defense and turnover issues.

Our frontcourt depth will be deeper than last season if Pemsl plays. Last year we essentially had a 3 man frontcourt rotation. If one of them got into foul trouble the Till had to play. This year we'll have 4 deep plus Till as the emergency 5th.

The backcourt, even without Bohannon, could be improved. You have a more experienced Joe W and Connor, add a good on the ball defender in Toussaint, and Bakari is an improvement over Dailey. CJ will be a better all around player than Moss. He's already a better shooter and ball handler. Nunge will be a better fit for Fran's offense than Cook, as he can set screens at the top of the key and actually be a threat to knock down those jumpers.

Good stuff....because of my sickness (addiction to Iowa basketball) I would love to read some in depth comments about what you have seen in practice, particularly about CJ and Nunge. Please...

Good stuff....because of my sickness (addiction to Iowa basketball) I would love to read some in depth comments about what you have seen in practice, particularly about CJ and Nunge. Please...

Nunge looks more like the player we saw back in Primetime league. Remember that he initially started over Garza and Kriener as a freshman. The talent is there. He's noticeably bigger than he was and more comfortable handling the ball than Kriener or Garza. I believe he'll be a 10 ppg scorer if not more. He's definitely more assertive than he looked during games as a freshman.

CJ is hard to compare to. The posters who tried to say Brady Ellingson or Oglesby are just dead wrong. Those were catch and shoot guys. CJ can create his own shot. Really hard to compare to any current or past player. I guess if I had to then I'd say Jeff Horner.

I think I would rank us quite low and make them prove they should be higher. Lost a lot of key players.

I think I would rank us quite low and make them prove they should be higher. Lost a lot of key players.

A lot of teams lose key players. Look at Michigan.

The job of the media isn't to make some teams "earn it." It's to make a reasonable projection of where they believe they'll land. Emmert is an outlier. The average has Iowa at 8. He has them at 12.

Reactions: owenhawk
Nunge looks more like the player we saw back in Primetime league. Remember that he initially started over Garza and Kriener as a freshman. The talent is there. He's noticeably bigger than he was and more comfortable handling the ball than Kriener or Garza. I believe he'll be a 10 ppg scorer if not more. He's definitely more assertive than he looked during games as a freshman.

CJ is hard to compare to. The posters who tried to say Brady Ellingson or Oglesby are just dead wrong. Those were catch and shoot guys. CJ can create his own shot. Really hard to compare to any current or past player. I guess if I had to then I'd say Jeff Horner.

Awesome stuff....thank you.

The job of the media isn't to make some teams "earn it." It's to make a reasonable projection of where they believe they'll land. Emmert is an outlier. The average has Iowa at 8. He has them at 12.

To be fair, Iowa has a lot of question marks that, if few work out, could cause Iowa to really not be good.

Will JBo play? If he does, is he 100%?
Is Evelyn recovered from his ankle issues at Valpo?
Toussaint?
CJF? (he and JT are both complete unknowns to most people)
Will Nunge be who we hope, or what he was his Fr year?
Can PMac do what Baer did for the last 3 years?
Will CMac be improved?

I mean, the only real knowns are Garza, JW and Kriener are the only real knowns at this point. Everyone else, besides Connor, either is/was hurt, a FR, a transfer or a RS. I think they'll be fine, and if most of the above ends up good (even without JBo playing) they could have a good season. But I absolutely understand why an outsider would be hesitant.

I think a coach that convinces a player to take a non-first year or medical RS is going to be inclined to get him into the starting lineup the next year

Emmert also picked NW to win the west in the B1G this year. I get that Fitz is a good coach, but c’mon.

Not that I think you're wrong comparing Fredrick to Jeff Horner but I would have probably compared him more to Adam Haluska instead.
Also Iowa improves immensely at the free throw line with the addition of Fredrick, Pat McMac, and Nunge compared to Cook or Baer. In fact Cook, Baer, and Dailey were all below average free throw shooters.

Reactions: NI hawk

The next time I'm impressed with him will be the first time.

I don't think it is crazy because you have no idea what you are going to get in terms of guard play and that is what rules in college basketball.

Have you seen Joe Cool #2 (Touissant) in practice as well? Would love to hear your impression of him as well. I have heard some things that give me hope he can positively impact the squad this year, but would love to hear your view of it.

If you are relying on Toussaint and CJ for significant contributions, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

This is the Big Ten. Experience counts for a lot.

Joe W. will be better. Connor? Color me skeptical.

I see no way in heck that this backcourt will be “improved” over last season.

We’ll see...

If you are relying on Toussaint and CJ for significant contributions, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

This is the Big Ten. Experience counts for a lot.

Joe W. will be better. Connor? Color me skeptical.

I see no way in heck that this backcourt will be “improved” over last season.

We’ll see...

I think you're going to be proven very wrong here.

I'm very excited about the upcoming college basketball season. However one thing I have learned about Iowa Basketball is if there are a lot of questions going into the season many on here are very optimistic when a much more pessimistic outcome actually happens. I'm expecting Iowa to finish between 7th-9th in the B1G this season. The B1G won't be all that strong this year but there is a glut of teams in the B1G this year that are mid level caliber teams (teams rated 26th- 50th). I think Iowa can fall somewhere in there.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
To be fair, Iowa has a lot of question marks that, if few work out, could cause Iowa to really not be good.

Will JBo play? If he does, is he 100%?
Is Evelyn recovered from his ankle issues at Valpo?
Toussaint?
CJF? (he and JT are both complete unknowns to most people)
Will Nunge be who we hope, or what he was his Fr year?
Can PMac do what Baer did for the last 3 years?
Will CMac be improved?

I mean, the only real knowns are Garza, JW and Kriener are the only real knowns at this point. Everyone else, besides Connor, either is/was hurt, a FR, a transfer or a RS. I think they'll be fine, and if most of the above ends up good (even without JBo playing) they could have a good season. But I absolutely understand why an outsider would be hesitant.

If Kriener is a known that's not a good thing IMO. The known up to this point is he has potential as a shooter (to 3), rebounder, and defender, but doesn't produce a lot in the way of game stats. Will his Sr year be realized potential? I think I have a better feel for what we'll get out of C-Mac and Nunge than Kriener.

If Kriener is a known that's not a good thing IMO. The known up to this point is he has potential as a shooter (to 3), rebounder, and defender, but doesn't produce a lot in the way of game stats. Will his Sr year be realized potential? I think I have a better feel for what we'll get out of C-Mac and Nunge than Kriener.

A lot of teams would love to have an experienced Senior post man coming off the bench like Kriener. He is a little inconsistent but he brings a lot of positives and most teams don’t have that kind of experienced and skilled big man who can play C and PF.

I'm not saying he's good or bad, just that we know what we're going to get from him.

I feel like the additions of Pemsl and Nunge to the frontcourt, along with another year of improvement from Garza will negate the loss of Tyler quite a bit. Bacari is Moss 2.0. Weiskamp is only going to get better, and adding in Pmac to fill the 3 to move Joe down to the 2 when needed! Quick fast PG. Man, I'm excited for this year.

Reactions: Jonnymungo
I think this team will be fun to watch. I like the pieces in place and the new guys coming in. I see us hovering around 8th or so ... We have talented players with experience ... Anything is possible once the season starts ... I am excited to see CJ and the grad transfer and Touissant (spelling?)

I was speaking for myself, not the media.

I will add in Kriener’s defense that he averaged 6.0 points per game and over 3 rebounds while playing 14 minutes/game in Big Ten play. Big Ten play is where the rubber hits the road. He has a versatile offensive skill set that allows him to score in different ways. His defensive box score was second to Baer. Each year in college he has shot in the mid 50% range while taking a fair number of mid range and last year a number of three point shots. Last year he shot 37% in big ten play from 3 and started to develop off the dribble. I can still remember the road Penn State game where he attacked the basket off the dribble several times. Kriener is a excellent passer and has reduced his turnovers during his career. Go back and look at C-Macs stats last year in the Big Ten and then maybe rethink your statement. I think CMac will be a good player but he got a lot more opportunities then Kriener and Kriener showed himself very well in his limited opportunities.

We may have lost some flashier elements of last year's squad in TC and Moss, however, they were offensive players and some of our weakest link on D. I believe our team will be better defensively. Even JBo, who can be a huge offensive weapon is one of the more challenged defensive players.

Reactions: HoustonHawkeye
Don't get me wrong. I'm glad Kriener is a Hawkeye, but IMO he's never come close to playing to his potential. He's got decent speed, that doesn't seem to translate to quickness. With his reach he should be more than a fair rebounder. His play isn't natural or smooth. Instead of reacting he does too much thinking, and when he's a step slow he uses his hands to play defense. Next to Moss, I thought he was our most inconsistent player, and a bad start usually meant mediocre play. Good Kriener didn't show up often enough for me.

Even with Cook gone, I don't see his minutes going up unless he finds more consistency and productivity. We add Nunge and Pemsl back in the mix, plus 3 freshman and a transfer that could make us more guard heavy than last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT