ADVERTISEMENT

Is Mark Emmert crazy?

This team has A LOT of question marks. We could finish anywhere from 4th to 12th. If we can get to 6th or 7th it will be a satisfactory season.

Agreed. Not unreasonable to pick Iowa 12th. As you said, a lot of Ifs and question marks.

In the MBB media poll, he ranked Iowa 12th in the conference, the lowest of all the media.

Fran meanwhile apparently believes he has a good team coming, given that he says he purposely scheduled a tough road. I could see Iowa ending up as low as #9 but I don't see how a team with Joe and Garza along with quality depth falls to 12.
Chad Leisikow of the Register voted Iowa 10th.

Chad said on the Wed evening HawkCentral radio program (on KxNO w/ Ross Peterson & Mark Emmert) that he thinks voters voted thinking JBo would be playing this year. Right now, it does not look like he's playing.

So, that means, as others have mentioned, we have lost 4 of our top 6 players from last year.

Chad said that JBo won 4 conference games for Iowa last year with his unbelievable end of game clutch shooting and that our 10-10 record could have easily been 6-14. Yikes.

So many unknowns this year. What is known is that we only have 2 returning starters.

Mark Emmert also said that the NIT is the most likely destination for this year's team based on who is back, the many unknowns and the very tough schedule.

I would also like to add, that the loss of Baer seems larger than Moss IMO.

I got to agree with you here. Those Baer intangibles(sorry Fran) mostly cannot be measured. He will definitely be missed.

Isaiah too. But Moss is a loss that we can hopefully make up for. Too bad for him. He won't get to play in the NCAAs his senior year.

I got to agree with you here. Those Baer intangibles(sorry Fran) mostly cannot be measured. He will definitely be missed.

Isaiah too. But Moss is a loss that we can hopefully make up for. Too bad for him. He won't get to play in the NCAAs his senior year.
Ah yes, Iowa will be lacking the Baer necessities...

;)

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Yes. Iowa benefited from miraculous plays from JBo and Joe to pull out 3-4 games. That tends to even out over time.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps

We will miss Baer a lot. Not just because of intangibles like his hustle and energy, but because his size and skill set made him incredibly versatile. He could block shots, force steals, crash the offensive and defensive glass, be the front man in our press, hit threes, make smart passes, get to the rim... basically a swiss army knife. And because of that, he made the players around him better and covered up a lot of their weaknesses.

Patrick looks like a guy who can fill that Baer role this season because of his length and overall skill as a player, but we'll see how he actually performs.

We'll miss Moss, too, but he seems to be more easily replaced between CJF, Evelyn, and an increased role for Joe.

Guard play and team foot speed are two huge question marks. How well will the new guards play? Will we be handicapped into playing exclusively zone? Can we find a lineup that can play man to man effectively? I like that we have more guards on the roster now. We could be a solid team if they play well. If not, it could be a tough year.

Chad Leisikow of the Register voted Iowa 10th.

Chad said on the Wed evening HawkCentral radio program (on KxNO w/ Ross Peterson & Mark Emmert) that he thinks voters voted thinking JBo would be playing this year. Right now, it does not look like he's playing.

So, that means, as others have mentioned, we have lost 4 of our top 6 players from last year.

Chad said that JBo won 4 conference games for Iowa last year with his unbelievable end of game clutch shooting and that our 10-10 record could have easily been 6-14. Yikes.

So many unknowns this year. What is known is that we only have 2 returning starters.

Mark Emmert also said that the NIT is the most likely destination for this year's team based on who is back, the many unknowns and the very tough schedule.

Chad's take is very simplistic. Yes JaBo was clutch in several games but let's also not disregard the fact that his disappearance offensively in the first half of several of those and his generally poor defense were part of the reason we were in those situations to begin with. I like JaBo but if we're objective then we need to look at his weaknesses too.

Of the 3 starters we lose, they all had some major holes.

1. Bohannon - one of the worst rated defensive PGs in the conference.

2. Cook - no shooting ability, turnover prone and mediocre defense.

3. Moss - mediocre defense, turnover prone, streaky offense.

Win shares per 40 minutes is a reasonable efficiency indicator. Here is how our core players stacked up:

1. Garza - .166
2. Baer - .164
3. Wieskamp - .154
4. Kriener - .122
5. Cook - .121
6. Bohannon - .117
7. McCaffrey - .091
8. Moss - .090
9. Dailey - .035

For all the things Cook did well, his weaknesses caused him to be less efficient than Kriener.

Moss was actually less efficient than Connor, perhaps why he was benched at the end of games.

While Bohannon made big shots, his atrocious defense brings down his total.

Garza and Wieskamp are the two most well rounded starters from last year's team and both return and should be improved. Kriener is becoming a solid rotational post.

The key to a 20+ win season vs an NIT season will be the newcomers. Evelyn and CJ should have little trouble offsetting the poor efficiency of Moss/Dailey.

If Pemsl plays, he's a big upgrade as the 4th post over Till last year.

The major question will be how Nunge/Joe T/Pat offset Cook, Baer and Bohannon. But also never discount growth and development of returning players. I recall several prognosticators on this forum saying we would win 7 games this football season because our receivers couldn't offset Fant/Hockensen yards. Obviously that's being proven false.

Last edited:
JBos impact is overrated imo due to the bias of fans and stats to the offensive side...we weight offense like 70-30 over defense because it’s easier for a fan to see who is doing well.

JBo was a big liability on defense...too short to deter the deep 3, too weak to stop a determined drive, and mostly an orange cone on transition defense due to lack of size.

Our guards this season should be much better on that end while still being solid on offense where we already have several weapons.

Cook is similar in that way...not efficient on offense due to turnovers, missed dunks and bad face up shooting, and not great on defense other than rebounding.

What we will miss most is JBo with under 3 minutes left. Ball handling, free throw shooting, and balls of steel.

Tyler at least made the Nuggets camp roster.
Pretty good for a guy who was only the 5th best player on the Hawks last year.
I think these number lie when it comes assessing the value of a player to the team.
TC is going to be missed.
No other big on this team will get a serious look from the league. Very slow frontcourt.

Reactions: CarterHall
I think these number lie when it comes assessing the value of a player to the team.
No other big on this team will get a serious look from the league. Very slow frontcourt.

Meh... Garza totally outplayed Cook during the NCAA tournament. We beat Cincinnati in spite of Cook. Nunge will prove a lot of people wrong when they see how multidimensional he is and can expand the floor with his range.

The Cincinnati game was a good example of the future of this team. Wieskamp and Garza led the way combining for 39 points while Cook and Moss combined for 10.

Last edited:
Meh... Garza totally outplayed Cook during the NCAA tournament. We beat Cincinnati in spite of Cook. Nunge will prove a lot of people wrong when they see how multidimensional he is and can expand the floor with his range.

The Cincinnati game was a good example of the future of this team. Wieskamp and Garza led the way combining for 39 points while Cook and Moss combined for 10.

Don't you also think that Cincy probably key'd on Iowa's top scorer Cook , and our shooting guard Moss as key guys to control to win? Guessing Garza and Wieskamp are going to be the marked guys a lot this season.

Don't you also think that Cincy probably key'd on Iowa's top scorer Cook , and our shooting guard Moss as key guys to control to win? Guessing Garza and Wieskamp are going to be the marked guys a lot this season.

Moss averaged 9 ppg. Do you really think he was keyed on over Joe? Tyler Cook simply went 1/9.

I actually believe Garza will be better without Cook. Cook could be a black hole offensively and didn't really fit Iowa's style of play.

Look at the PSU game when Cook was out with his injury. Garza went up against Mike Watkins, one of the best post defenders in the conference, and scored 22 points and grabbed 12 boards.

Garza and Weiskamp = efficient and dependable.

Moss and Cook = inefficient and erratic.

Cook greatest strength was drawing fouls. The only problem was the second half of the season he couldn’t throw it in the ocean.

Kriener, Nunge and Pemsl will be fine and offset Cooks production.

Baer’s intangibles will be missed but some new kids may offset that.

Confident that more minutes by Weiskamp and emerging players will offset Moss play.

JBo’s magic, now that will be hard to replace, his defense will not.

Hope you are right and the Hawks will improve this year after losing 4 of top 6 players off of last years team.
That would mean we finally get that elusive Sweet Sixteen.
Replacing TC 15 pts 8 rbds (54 per cent shooting) NBA talent will be tougher than cherry picking some bad games. How did he do in that comeback vs Tenn?
Did Moss contribute vs Tenn?

Garza and Weiskamp = efficient and dependable.

Moss and Cook = inefficient and erratic.

Cook greatest strength was drawing fouls. The only problem was the second half of the season he couldn’t throw it in the ocean.

Kriener, Nunge and Pemsl will be fine and offset Cooks production.

Baer’s intangibles will be missed but some new kids may offset that.

Confident that more minutes by Weiskamp and emerging players will offset Moss play.

JBo’s magic, now that will be hard to replace, his defense will not.

Yes, I would say that Garza/Nunge/Kriener/Pemsl is on par with if not potentially better than Garza/Cook/Kriener/Till.

Small forward should be comparable. We lose Baer but gain Pat and have a more experienced Wieskamp.

The real question will be if Toussaint/Evelyn/Fredrick/Connor can be comparable to Bohannon/Moss/Connor/Dailey.

Hope you are right and the Hawks will improve this year after losing 4 of top 6 players off of last years team.
That would mean we finally get that elusive Sweet Sixteen.
Replacing TC 15 pts 8 rbds (54 per cent shooting) NBA talent will be tougher than cherry picking some bad games. How did he do in that comeback vs Tenn?
Did Moss contribute vs Tenn?

Cook was 4/12 shooting with 2 rebs and 3 TOs in that game. Wow!

As far as Moss goes, he had a nice game until he cost us in OT. But speaking of cherry picking. Look at Moss for a whole season. For a guy whose only real attribute is shooting, he had far more single digit scoring games than double digit.

Reactions: HoustonHawkeye
Cook was 4/12 shooting with 2 rebs and 3 TOs in that game. Wow!

As far as Moss goes, he had a nice game until he cost us in OT. But speaking of cherry picking. Look at Moss for a whole season. For a guy whose only real attribute is shooting, he had far more single digit scoring games than double digit.

Moss scored in double digits 15 games.
Moss scored in single digits 20 games.

Far more.

Yes, I would say that Garza/Nunge/Kriener/Pemsl is on par with if not potentially better than Garza/Cook/Kriener/Till.

Small forward should be comparable. We lose Baer but gain Pat and have a more experienced Wieskamp.

The real question will be if Toussaint/Evelyn/Fredrick/Connor can be comparable to Bohannon/Moss/Connor/Dailey

The thing I like about our new backcourt is they have experience.

Bakari is a senior and coached by several different staffs. He'll bring that experience to our backcourt.

CJF does not have game experiences, but a redshirt year is huge both physically and mentally in preparing one to play at the next level. Plus he went up against Moss and others daily. There was something gained there for certain.

CMac has had an offseason to refine his shooting. Fingers crossed on this one. But we can count on his free throws.

Joe T played some hard-nosed ball in NYC. He went up against a lot players that are on a high level. He'll be ready for the challenges.

The key to me won't be replacing these 3 of 4 players. We should do equal or better...for 35 minutes of the game. But that last 5 minutes of JBo at the end of games will be something that is tough to replace...

Time will tell. But we will find out starting in 4 weeks! I am so ready!!

I’m not cherry picking games. It’s a fact that Tyler’s production dropped off significantly the second half of the season. Against Tennessee he made 4 big buckets in about a 3 minute span to start the second half. He played 36 minutes in that game. Went 0-8 the rest of the game outside of that little flurry. 3-6 from the free throw line. 2 rebounds in 36 minutes. Against Cincinnati he was 1-9. He had way more down performances then good ones the latter part of the year and it directly impacted our poor finish.

I’ll make a prediction on his NBA career. I think he will start out somewhat strong but as people figure out his game he will struggle. Bigger stronger bodies will take away his limited offensive game. In three years at Iowa he was given every chance to showcase his game and at the end of his career what did we see? I’m glad he was a Hawkeye and his highlight reel dunks were fun to watch.

This team may be better for the sole fact that now the game will be driven through Garza and Weiskamp. Add to that we may finally be able to play some defense at the point guard position.

Biggest unknown for this team is how we control the ball. If turnovers go down and we play defense at the top of the key we might surprise some people. Our offensive numbers may be down, but if we control the ball, get good possessions and play better defense it might be a better team in the long run. I guess we’ll know in a few months. If we can go 2-3 in our tough pre conference 5 game stretch and get the ones we’re supposed to we have a chance to make the tourney.

Reactions: HoustonHawkeye
Moss scored in double digits 15 games.
Moss scored in single digits 20 games.

Far more.

Oh boy, 15 games in double digits, two of which were throw away games against terrible opponents. Sounds like an irreplaceable player. In postseason play he had 1 of 4 games in double digits.

For a guy who supposedly was an offensive player, a PER of 14 (10th on the team) isn't anything to write home about.

Oh boy, 15 games in double digits, two of which were throw away games against terrible opponents. Sounds like an irreplaceable player. In postseason play he had 1 of 4 games in double digits.

For a guy who supposedly was an offensive player, a PER of 14 (10th on the team) isn't anything to write home about.

Translation: You were wrong.

Chad's take is very simplistic. Yes JaBo was clutch in several games but let's also not disregard the fact that his disappearance offensively in the first half of several of those and his generally poor defense were part of the reason we were in those situations to begin with. I like JaBo but if we're objective then we need to look at his weaknesses too.

Of the 3 starters we lose, they all had some major holes.

1. Bohannon - one of the worst rated defensive PGs in the conference.

2. Cook - no shooting ability, turnover prone and mediocre defense.

3. Moss - mediocre defense, turnover prone, streaky offense.

Win shares per 40 minutes is a reasonable efficiency indicator. Here is how our core players stacked up:

1. Garza - .166
2. Baer - .164
3. Wieskamp - .154
4. Kriener - .122
5. Cook - .121
6. Bohannon - .117
7. McCaffrey - .091
8. Moss - .090
9. Dailey - .035

For all the things Cook did well, his weaknesses caused him to be less efficient than Kriener.

Moss was actually less efficient than Connor, perhaps why he was benched at the end of games.

While Bohannon made big shots, his atrocious defense brings down his total.

Garza and Wieskamp are the two most well rounded starters from last year's team and both return and should be improved. Kriener is becoming a solid rotational post.

The key to a 20+ win season vs an NIT season will be the newcomers. Evelyn and CJ should have little trouble offsetting the poor efficiency of Moss/Dailey.

If Pemsl plays, he's a big upgrade as the 4th post over Till last year.

The major question will be how Nunge/Joe T/Pat offset Cook, Baer and Bohannon. But also never discount growth and development of returning players. I recall several prognosticators on this forum saying we would win 7 games this football season because our receivers couldn't offset Fant/Hockensen yards. Obviously that's being proven false.

Great post.

The problem with this is being an NBA player doesn't translate into whether a team or player is good in college. Yes, it can help. But as has been discussed many times on here, Cook has physical gifts and could do things that maybe no one on the team could do but that doesn't mean he was a consistent force in college. He is likely getting a chance in the NBA due to those physical gifts and potential (and because the NBA is a different game).

He might be missed somewhat but he is not irreplaceable - and it is possible the team will play better due to the people replacing him being a better fit for the team.

And I remember when you said there was no reason an Iowa basketball team wouldn't win 20 games and they finished with 14 wins.

Cook has made an NBA preseason team because of his athletic ability and nothing more. Some of you really think that NBA teams are excited about his shooting ability, or his awesome exploited at the free throw line, or his 7.6 rebounds per 31 minutes of play, or his defensive? Sorry, but he is a fringe NBA player that will end up overseas when his tryouts fizzle out.
As for Moss, he was here at Iowa for 4 years and contrary to popular meths, is not a player that can't be replaced, actually I'm looking forward to see what C.J. Fredrick, Bakari Evelyn, Joe Toussaint can do.
Nichlaus Baer, what can you say about a player that came to Iowa as a walk-on and became a legend in his own right. But then you half to remember, he was a walk-on not a top 100 recruit in the country. Yes, Patrick McCaffery is the coaches son but he is a 4 star recruit that is 2 inches taller and has a wing span much wider then Baers and should provide at the minimum better defense and offensive skills that Nichlaus provided.
I'll take the skills and experience that Jack Nunge and Cordell Pemsl brings to this team over what Maishe Dailey brought to the table everyday and on Sunday.
Iowa lost Baer, Moss, Cook, Dailey, and gained Nunge, Pemsl, Fredrick, Evelyn Patrick, and Toussaint. Better defense, better offense, better free throw shooting and as far as everyone knows Jordan Bohannan is still on this team and it looks like he wants to try and play this year. I'm ready to see this team kick a$$!

Last edited:
For you Fran historians, how do his teams perform/progress in the years there are more questions than answers?

lol...you are denying that???

I don't recall ever saying Iowa would never win less than 20. That would have been two years ago. I don't recall every statement I've made. Maybe you can source it.

Who said teams are excited about his shooting ability?
I know that in this post, I didn't!
Cooks an athletic freak and well, that's about it. No one can spin his college career any other way. He was a dunking highlight reel and nothing more, quite the legacy, but a well rounded NBA player, not in my world, but hey, I've been wrong many times before, just has everyone else has.
I still believe he'll end up in Europe and making a pretty good living, maybe not want he wants or dreams of but his life could be much worse.

I think you're going to be proven very wrong here.
I'm curious what you thought of Joe T. I've been told he's 'tough as nails' from a dad who's son played with Joe, but that was with HS kids. What do you think?

Iowa is a pretty big unknown right now. I wouldn't bet on them not to finish 12th. On the other hand, I would not bet on them to finish lower than sixth. The second bet seems an easier one to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT