ADVERTISEMENT

Is Michael Lois (diving accident; neck injury) fully recovered?

Very encouraging! Would be awesome if he's able to play and reach his full potential... Please God, if he does play don't let him injure his spine/vertebrae somehow...

Reactions: Harbinger273
Toks had a big risk and said he wanted to play, still. After further deliberation I think he and his family made the right choice to NOT play football.

The difference is brain vs spine. Not all that different really.

I would not underestimate the young man. Maybe he comes out for a year to prove to himself that he overcame his accident, but after that ...? It isn’t a knee or ankle that can be repaired, it is his spine. Yikes!

Reactions: Pigskin48
I would not underestimate the young man. Maybe he comes out for a year to prove to himself that he overcame his accident, but after that ...? It isn’t a knee or ankle that can be repaired, it is his spine. Yikes!
I think the difference is that vertebrae, much like a knee or ankle, can heal and it won’t necessarily mean it’s weakened and more susceptible to another injury. At least I would think that’s why his physician and family aren’t set against him playing again. Someone with a medical degree can feel free to correct me on that.

Whereas with a brain/head issue, it only get worse with each violent on field contact. Thus the reason Toks gave up the sport.

I doubt it will be the coaches decision. I am sure UofI medical staff will review his medical status and either give approval or not. If they say no, then it won't matter what the coaches think If they say yes. then it would be up to the coaches to decide if they want to honor is athletic scholarship or not. It could be that the UofI clears him but if his playing ability hasn't progressed or has even regressed. the staff could always pass on him.

Very encouraging! Would be awesome if he's able to play and reach his full potential... Please God, if he does play don't let him injure his spine/vertebrae somehow...
Yes sir. I say he sit out the next season in high school and come to Iowa. Get a multi doctor evaluation from the UIHC and keep working back into playing shape if it's a go. Take a redshirt year and gain strength under Doyle. Could work out but the risk can't be denied.

All back injuries are different, but given my own experience at that age, I'd say he may eventually get back to the type of back health that could play football at a high level, but the time it takes may not be within his college window. Perhaps, but I'd think another year of rehab at minimum. We'll see--rooting for the kid.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Michael Lois continues amazing recovery

hbh77xmsmbah9bbk15wm

I don't frequent Holiday Inn Expresses, nor do I have a medical degree. But, is this too simple of an approach: he broke a bone, it healed, end of story? Was there more to it than that?

Toks had a big risk and said he wanted to play, still. After further deliberation I think he and his family made the right choice to NOT play football.

The difference is brain vs spine. Not all that different really.

I admire this young man a great deal , but I don't think he will ever be cleared to play football again. The risk is just too great.

The program that turns 2 and 3 stars into NFL draft picks has a dude coming in who should be paralyzed but is deadlifting weights?

God help anyone who tries to stand in this dude’s way. Don’t care if he ever steps on the field, he is going to be someone who goes through life with so much grit, appreciation and determination.

I don't frequent Holiday Inn Expresses, nor do I have a medical degree. But, is this too simple of an approach: he broke a bone, it healed, end of story? Was there more to it than that?
Yeah a bit oversimplified. Spinal fusion surgery is pretty serious. Sustaining contact on a regular basis with compromised vertebrae presents a real challenge and danger of reinjury. I would say he is not fully recovered, but has made huge strides.

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
Yeah a bit oversimplified. Spinal fusion surgery is pretty serious. Sustaining contact on a regular basis with compromised vertebrae presents a real challenge and danger of reinjury. I would say he is not fully recovered, but has made huge strides.
I have heard the term "fused" in regard to his repair. Does that mean rods and screws that will remain in place? Do those types of implements protect from future injury or increase the risk and severity of re-injury if he continues collision oriented sport?

I doubt it will be the coaches decision. I am sure UofI medical staff will review his medical status and either give approval or not. If they say no, then it won't matter what the coaches think If they say yes. then it would be up to the coaches to decide if they want to honor is athletic scholarship or not. It could be that the UofI clears him but if his playing ability hasn't progressed or has even regressed. the staff could always pass on him.

I doubt that Iowa will withdraw his scholarship even if it’s determined that playing football isn’t an option for him. They’ll probably find a way to keep him in the fold and involved in the program in some capacity if he wants to be.

I admire this young man a great deal , but I don't think he will ever be cleared to play football again. The risk is just too great.
You’re entitled to your opinion, but after reading that article I wouldn’t bet against him.

The human mind and indomitable spirit mixed with a strong spiritual faith can literally work miracles.

I have heard the term "fused" in regard to his repair. Does that mean rods and screws that will remain in place? Do those types of implements protect from future injury or increase the risk and severity of re-injury if he continues collision oriented sport?
Not sure. Definitely want it fully healed before playing is considered. Hard to say how it would hold up to repeated impacts in football.

That was my thought, but seeing those training pics he looks to be pretty strong and healed.

That's your medical analysis from looking at pictures on the internet?
Welp, if someone who flunked out of chiropractic school is convinced there is no risk of paralysis that's good enough for me, and I'm sure his family.

From an article posted last week: He isn't cleared for contact, the doctors want to see what 1 year of healing looks like. But they have lifted the weight restriction so he can train all he wants in the weight room and plans on going to camp for the non contact drills.

Also his scholarship will be honored no matter if he plays football or not.

Reactions: TKingpin
Seems like offensive line would be a better position in terms of head and neck safety. You would have to think tackling would be more risky than blocking.

ADVERTISEMENT