ADVERTISEMENT

Is Pakistan that much different from Iran?

Pepperman

HR Legend
Nov 4, 2002
Here's my thinking with nuclear weapons - the Pakistanis already have the bomb. True, India somewhat keeps them in check... but really, do we think Iranians are that much different from Pakis?

The unwritten rule of nuclear weapons is that if you use them on somebody, you will be obliterated yourself. If that logic holds, and I am pretty sure the US and Isreal would ensure it does, then doesn't everybody having nukes ensure peace?

Of course, we'd have to worry about who got a hold of what... but Russia hates us, and so far nobody's gotten a "dirty bomb" into the US or Israel.

I'm kind of throwing this out there for debate, obviously, so it is marginally tongue-in-cheek, but it is also a serious idea in my mind. If we play the prisoners game over and over, don't we all win?

Originally posted by Pepperman:

Here's my thinking with nuclear weapons - the Pakistanis already have the bomb. True, India somewhat keeps them in check... but really, do we think Iranians are that much different from Pakis?

The unwritten rule of nuclear weapons is that if you use them on somebody, you will be obliterated yourself. If that logic holds, and I am pretty sure the US and Isreal would ensure it does, then doesn't everybody having nukes ensure peace?

Of course, we'd have to worry about who got a hold of what... but Russia hates us, and so far nobody's gotten a "dirty bomb" into the US or Israel.

I'm kind of throwing this out there for debate, obviously, so it is marginally tongue-in-cheek, but it is also a serious idea in my mind. If we play the prisoners game over and over, don't we all win?
Well, in a way, yes everyone having nukes puts everyone on a level playing field, at least somewhat. As for how they relate to Pakistan, I'd say no, they aren't that much different.

Many terrorists have hidden in Pakistan. Supposedly Bin Laden himself was found there. We have drone bombed their people 'by accident', and we have created some chaos in there country. Truth is, Pakistan doesn't like us. But they DO have nukes and they accept money from us as well.

The reason we have such a hard on for Iran is that they have a #$# ton of oil. They also, are the only major Middle Eastern country not currently under some form of control by us, and the one that isn't playing to our tune. Many of the countries oppose us, but only Iran has an almost complete lack of US presence. If you notice all the countries we have bases in within the MIddle East, you'll notice something interesting.

iran-bases-2.jpg

I just hope that if there are kooks in either country that think they will get 40 virgins in heaven for incinerating the heathens, they don't have access to the launch codes.

Originally posted by h-hawk:
I just hope that if there are kooks in either country that think they will get 40 virgins in heaven for incinerating the heathens, they don't have access to the launch codes.
I can see this point - at least, I'm assuming you mean some people may be completely fine with mutual destruction because it furthers their religious beliefs. On the other hand, the people who are usually in power aren't the ones donning suicide vests and fighting on the front lines. They find "oppressed" individuals and convince them it is the enemy's fault.

I can also see the point that an accident is going to happen with some (admittedly low) probability, and the more countries that have nuclear capability, the better the chance that some accident does occur. Of course, on that topic, Fukushima might have been the worst nuclear disaster the world has ever faced, and while we might not know all of the consequences just yet, I'd posit that the planet moved on just fine.

Pakistan is more south Asian than Middle East. Their issues are historically with India, not America.

Reactions: GOHOX69
You see one head wrapped in a towel, you've pretty much seen them all right?...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT