ADVERTISEMENT

Is Perk the second best player on this team?

HawkNorth

HR All-State
Nov 24, 2003
TP continues to shine. He’s never the biggest, fastest or best shooter. All he does is make plays all over the court. What a stat line from the Illinois game: 12 pts, 12 rebs (incl 4 offensive), 5 assists and only one TO in 34 minutes. In a game where Ill played very physical and got away with a lot of contact, TP was fearless, going to the bucket and mixing it up underneath. Love this guy and can’t wait to see what he brings next year.

I was thinking about that too. He is definitely important and a key if Iowa is going to make any sort of run in the BTT or NCAA tournament. He's a two way player and we haven't had very many who can produce like that at both ends of the court.

Reactions: Stormn Norman
TP continues to shine. He’s never the biggest, fastest or best shooter. All he does is make plays all over the court. What a stat line from the Illinois game: 12 pts, 12 rebs (incl 4 offensive), 5 assists and only one TO in 34 minutes. In a game where Ill played very physical and got away with a lot of contact, TP was fearless, going to the bucket and mixing it up underneath. Love this guy and can’t wait to see what he brings next year.
Didn't realize he had 12 boards.

Thats impressive.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
Of the current 5 starters, against big boy teams, Perkins is clearly Iowa’s second best player. If Kris was a starter, Perk and Kris would be very close. if you want to go to the next level, you’ve got to play the players that give you the best chance of beating the best teams on your schedule.

He's a big, strong player and physically bullies opponents down low as well as having nice touch.

Reactions: F5n5
Of the current 5 starters, against big boy teams, Perkins is clearly Iowa’s second best player. If Kris was a starter, Perk and Kris would be very close. if you want to go to the next level, you’ve got to play the players that give you the best chance of beating the best teams on your schedule.
Yes. Iowa is not close in that game last night without him. If he's just a semblance of a threat making jump shots, which he has been recently, he is a very good player. As you say, against big boy teams you need Perkins' skill set.

I'd probably still go with Kris, but Perkins playing well makes Iowa a more dangerous team.
Pound for pound Tony is currently the 2nd best player for Iowa AINEC. He has proved that. He damn near took over the game against the B1G champs on their floor on their Senior day.

Reactions: F5n5
That play down the stretch where Perkins was like, "Oh, this Curebelo kid thinks he can guard me?"
He's getting his "big dog" swagger back that he had in HS. I love his aggressiveness. He was tge first of the Hawks to successfully take it at Kofi last night. Love the kid and that he is coming into his own at the right time for Iowa.

Now the rest of the team needs to get with the program. And make their damn free throws!

Last edited:
IF perkins 3ball shooting cooperates, he is moving towards All B1G caliber next year based on his rate of improvement. Kris is also capable of all B1G next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Kris is 6th man
this year in B1G.....Kris would start or get 25+ miin/game on every team in B1G except Iowa.

Fran knows best of course. so a starting lineup vs Illini with CMAC, JBO, Rebracca
must be the optimum.

The latest eye test says from best to worse based on last 8 games
Keegan, Kris, Perkins, CMAC, JBO, PMAC, JoeT, Rebraca, Ulis,Sandfort.

Sandfort is the 10th player---and yet he has elite 3pt shooting skills. Too bad his
hugely positive peformance vs Illini was not enough to get us over the top.

A couple of weeks ago I wrote that it's time for Perkins and Ulis to show why they were in the running for Mr. Basketball in their respective, highly talented states. Nice to see that Tony has decided to do so. If he continues to play like this, he will be the steal many of us thought he was when he signed on with the Hawks.

He’s been doing things that make my jaw drop.

And not because he wasn’t doing those things a year ago, and he wasn’t as much. But because they are freaking amazing. He reminds me of Dennis Rodman. I know Perkins is smaller, but just that kind of relentlessness. And the fact that he’s making big time shots with hands in his face and at critical moments of the game. He is clutch. And there have been times when he’s carried the entire team on his shoulders, and that is truly awesome.

Perkins has been outstanding and we need it. When 60% of our starting lineup is largely a no-show, we need production elsewhere. He’s tough on both ends of the floor.

He’s fearless. It’s nice to have a guard willing to go do the dirty work on the boards. Reminded me a bit of the Ayayi guard from Gonzaga who had 18 boards against the Hawks last year. Nice to have one of those on the team

Something else which shouldn’t be lost is that 2 of the 3 fouls drawn on Cockburn were drawn by Perkins, and he could easily have drawn a third on that play where Curbelo kicked him in the face but Tony scored anyways. His ability to get other players in foul trouble, along with the Murrays’ ability to get players in foul trouble, is going to be major come tournament time

Reactions: iabcuda

And not because he wasn’t doing those things a year ago, and he wasn’t as much. But because they are freaking a

e

And not because he wasn’t doing those things a year ago, and he wasn’t as much. But because they are freaking amazing. He reminds me of Dennis Rodman. I know Perkins is smaller, but just that kind of relentlessness. And the fact that he’s making big time shots with hands in his face and at critical moments of the game. He is clutch. And there have been times when he’s carried the entire team on his shoulders, and that is truly awesome.
Dennis Rodman? There are a lot of good comparisons but the greatest rebounder, and one of the top five defenders in NBA history that played a completely different position is not one of them in my opinion.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
I compared him to Rodman because of his relentlessness. As I said. I am well aware that they play different positions. And that one of them has a lot more tattoos than the other. And one of them is a lot closer to dictators than the other. Anyway, let’s carry-on.
The only reason I said anything, is there are a lot of guards that have offensive games that would be more accurate comps.

Didn't realize he had 12 boards.

Thats impressive.
Perkins is 6-3 and had 12 rebounds in 34 minutes. Kofi is 7-0/300 pounds and had 14 rebounds in 34 minutes. Kofi also never took a shot from more than, what, a foot from the basket? POY? LOL

Perkins also had 17 points, including 2-3 from three-point range, and played his usual tough defense. The kid is a player, and I would put him ahead of Kris right now as a key to Iowa's success.

Perkins is 6-3 and had 12 rebounds in 34 minutes. Kofi is 7-0/300 pounds and had 14 rebounds in 34 minutes. Kofi also never took a shot from more than, what, a foot from the basket? POY? LOL

Perkins also had 17 points, including 2-3 from three-point range, and played his usual tough defense. The kid is a player, and I would put him ahead of Kris right now as a key to Iowa's success.
I think Kris is more talented but I would agree as far as key to success for Perk over Kris at this point.

But him and Kris cost us the game last night!!!

Well at least according to many here...

Two things have me cautiously optimistic about Iowa's chances in the NCAA tournament, compared to last year.
1. Last year, Iowa entered the tournament with three hobbled guards, in Frederick, Connor McCaffery, and Bohannon; and with Nunge out for the rest of the season. This year, the team is complete and with the exception of PMac, seems to be healthy.

2. Last year, Iowa was near its ceiling in terms of ability early in the year. This year, Keegan has been great all year. But players like Kris Murray and Tony Perkins are really coming on, yet are still scratching the surface of their talent. Iowa is not close to its ceiling, in terms of the overall ability on this roster.

He’s fearless. It’s nice to have a guard willing to go do the dirty work on the boards. Reminded me a bit of the Ayayi guard from Gonzaga who had 18 boards against the Hawks last year. Nice to have one of those on the team

Something else which shouldn’t be lost is that 2 of the 3 fouls drawn on Cockburn were drawn by Perkins, and he could easily have drawn a third on that play where Curbelo kicked him in the face but Tony scored anyways. His ability to get other players in foul trouble, along with the Murrays’ ability to get players in foul trouble, is going to be major come tournament time
It's just a kick in the face, no big deal.

Its not like they're supposed to be watching for blows to the head or anything like that.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Two things have me cautiously optimistic about Iowa's chances in the NCAA tournament, compared to last year.
1. Last year, Iowa entered the tournament with three hobbled guards, in Frederick, Connor McCaffery, and Bohannon; and with Nunge out for the rest of the season. This year, the team is complete and with the exception of PMac, seems to be healthy.

2. Last year, Iowa was near its ceiling in terms of ability early in the year. This year, Keegan has been great all year. But players like Kris Murray and Tony Perkins are really coming on, yet are still scratching the surface of their talent. Iowa is not close to its ceiling, in terms of the overall ability on this roster.
Agree, right now this team is better than last years team at the same point in their seasons.

Reactions: jonesy5960
Tony's confidence has to be at all time high right now. His physical swagger was so apparent when he took Curbelo into the paint and buried him mercilessly.
As for a Hawk comp the one I thought of was Joey Range.
It's great to finally have a player with Tony's talents on the wing.
Course we are blessed to have a 1st team all-american for the 3rd year in a row also.
If Keegan stays his last two years he could push that number to 5 consecutive years of 1st team AA....at Iowa? Thanks Hawks!

Reactions: Ronman
Recently yes. The whole year no. He's been pretty mediocre overall IMO, but he has most definitely come on like gangbusters recently. Outstanding really, which makes me wonder what the hell took so long? It's crazy how good he's been, just keep it up kid.

Reactions: littlez
As for a Hawk comp the one I thought of was Joey Range.
Except for Tony's literacy, civility, work ethic and hygiene.

I see your comparison. At this point I think Tony has shown a much higher ceiling and much more athleticism. Like many sophs he's been up and down but the trendline is definitely up.

As others have noted, Tony get's his three ball down he will be pretty hard to stop, and he's already a bulldog on defense.

ADVERTISEMENT