ADVERTISEMENT

Is Petras More Mobile than Stanley?

TreyVega

Team MVP
Apr 23, 2019
I ask while watching the Natty game. Not a knock on Stanley, but certainly not a strength of his. Our last slippery QB was Tate. Last fast-ish QB was Banks. Stanzi is in there somewhere. Just curious what the next few years hold.

Every player can use their legs for straight-line running - the question refers to running around in "scramble" mode.

Improved pocket presence out of our next quarterback will be key.
Exactly this, yeah. It's not about 40 times. It's about avoiding pressure.

Now, I don't think he's much threat as a runner and I vaguely recall thinking he moved a little better (smoother) than Stanley in scrimmages, but I can't be sure. So, that gives us some parameters. The floor for my expectations of his ability to move is a little worse than Stanley and his ceiling is more in the Ricky Stanzi to Jake Rudock range. But, that's a pretty big window of possibilities.

But, more importantly, what you said. It's really going to be more about movement in the pocket - feel for pressure, footwork to avoid it, being able to do that and keep his eyes downfield, not panicking. And we won't know any of that until we see him play in games, or possibly even in games against good B1G defenses.

Is the question more so about fleetness of foot rather than being mobile? NS was mobile, just not overly allusive as it took a while to get that frame up to speed.

Idk Stanley looked pretty effing mobile at times.

Having decent straight line speed and being, "mobile" are two totally different things. Being able to make someone miss was not a strength of Stanley's when moving the pocket. I look at Lawerence's run verse Ohio State and think there is no way Stanley ever pulls that off. That's not a knock on Stanley, just think making teams respect the ability of the QB to move the pocket and pick up yards when needed is a huge bonus.

Reactions: nu2u
Stanley was not very slippery and somewhat jittery in the pocket.

I feel that Petras has to be an improvement in that area. Maybe not in 2020, but he will be in 2021 and 2022.

I hope Petras can match Stanley's upsides, which were pretty dang good.

Having decent straight line speed and being, "mobile" are two totally different things. Being able to make someone miss was not a strength of Stanley's when moving the pocket. I look at Lawerence's run verse Ohio State and think there is no way Stanley ever pulls that off. That's not a knock on Stanley, just think making teams respect the ability of the QB to move the pocket and pick up yards when needed is a huge bonus.

There is a major difference between linear speed and mobility/escapability.

It was a joke, guys. Wow. I'm sure you all are going to be disappointed in whichever QB's "mobility" they put out there next year anyway....

Reactions: FlickShagwell
I don't know, but we will sure miss Nate's quarterback sneak!
Best ever!
Qb sneaks in 2019 were super. Dramatic improvement from 2018. In 2018 we lost games because of total inability to get 1/2 - 1 yard on 3rd and 4th downs with the same qb. I think staff worked on this last summer.

Qb sneaks in 2019 were super. Dramatic improvement from 2018. In 2018 we lost games because of total inability to get 1/2 - 1 yard on 3rd and 4th downs with the same qb. I think staff worked on this last summer.
The problem was not QB sneaks it was the play calling. We continued to go with the FB lead on third and short which for the most part was highly unsuccessful.

Personally, I think Stanley’s biggest knock was his ability to deliver a good ball with pressure around him. Occasionally he would get spooked and deliver a bad ball at a crucial time. I can think of a couple instances. Fant in the flats in 2017 against Isu. PSU wide open Hock in 2018 . And Ragaini in 2019 against PSU on his pick.

I’m not knocking Nate at all, but I think successful sneaks will continue due to Linderbaum. His leverage and first step on sneaks were nasty. It wasn’t even fair.
Agree and disagree. Linderbaum is a beast and that won’t change, but watch Stanley’s 1st of 3 sneaks against USC, he was definitely strong and did a lot to help move the pile too.

Personally, I think Stanley’s biggest knock was his ability to deliver a good ball with pressure around him. Occasionally he would get spooked and deliver a bad ball at a crucial time. I can think of a couple instances. Fant in the flats in 2017 against Isu. PSU wide open Hock in 2018 . And Ragaini in 2019 against PSU on his pick.
Stanley’s long ball was also a weakness, which is a strength of Petras from what I’ve read.

if Stanley could have hit even 50% of those long balls, Iowa was a one loss team.

Stanley’s long ball was also a weakness, which is a strength of Petras from what I’ve read.

if Stanley could have hit even 50% of those long balls, Iowa was a one loss team.
You know if you just read these threads, and never watched Iowa play you'd think Stanley was some scrub who played like crap and lost most of his games as a starter. Can't run, indecisive in the pocket, poor accuracy, on and on and on. For Christ sake the guy must have had some kind of game. Won an average of nine games per year in his three years as starter. Second most TD's 68, and yrds 8300+ in school history, in one less season as a starter then Long. As for Petras, I hope he's all that and a bag of chips. Throwing long balls up for grabs in high school isn't the same thing as doing it against BIG caliber DB's either. We'll find out next season what he's got. At this point I'd be happy if he's at least as good as his predecessor.

ADVERTISEMENT