ADVERTISEMENT

Is Petras More Mobile than Stanley?

We should have run Nate more the last two seasons. When we were blocking for it he could power out some runs. From what I've heard Spencer is pretty fast and can get through holes when the play presents itself.

He may not have the power of Nate but I think Spencer will be a pretty accurate.

You know if you just read these threads, and never watched Iowa play you'd think Stanley was some scrub who played like crap and lost most of his games as a starter. Can't run, indecisive in the pocket, poor accuracy, on and on and on. For Christ sake the guy must have had some kind of game. Won an average of nine games per year in his three years as starter. Second most TD's 68, and yrds 8300+ in school history, in one less season as a starter then Long. As for Petras, I hope he's all that and a bag of chips. Throwing long balls up for grabs in high school isn't the same thing as doing it against BIG caliber DB's either. We'll find out next season what he's got. At this point I'd be happy if he's at least as good as his predecessor.

If the recent redshirt rule was in place when Stanley was a Freshman, He would be completely rewriting the record book next year.

If the recent redshirt rule was in place when Stanley was a Freshman, He would be completely rewriting the record book next year.
I totally agree, thats why I think a lot of this criticism of him is ridiculous. Yes, he has some weak areas, but you read all these posts and you'd think he was terrible or something. I know I'm constantly slaying the sacred cow, but he is twice the athlete that Long was, (and yes I saw every game he played), and I know for a fact that had this site been around then folks would have been ripping on him for much of his time at Iowa as well. Just the nature of the beast, but if you go back and look objectively at Stanleys career, he was a very good player and leader for this team for the last three years.

I totally agree, thats why I think a lot of this criticism of him is ridiculous. Yes, he has some weak areas, but you read all these posts and you'd think he was terrible or something. I know I'm constantly slaying the sacred cow, but he is twice the athlete that Long was, (and yes I saw every game he played), and I know for a fact that had this site been around then folks would have been ripping on him for much of his time at Iowa as well. Just the nature of the beast, but if you go back and look objectively at Stanleys career, he was a very good player and leader for this team for the last three years.

Based on his three year average, Stanley would have finished with nearly 11,000 yards passing and 90 TD's with another year. That's just based on average.

He also dropped quite a few dimes as well. I guess it matters if you are always focusing on the negatives.
Reality isn't always negative. I'm not alone in this thought on Stanley. Read his NFL evaluation. Anyway, I posted what I did not as a slight to Stanley but as something that Iowa can possibly improve on with Petras.

yeah..one bad day like all QBs have. You may be disappointed...
Spencer HS stats

Senior: 4157 yds, 50 TDs, 2 int, 64% passing

Rushed 223 yds for 9 TDs

Junior: 3346 yds, 40 TDs passing, 310 yds for 7 TDs rushing

never saw numbers like that for any senior.
As in the Athletic Article recently....this was against stiff regional competition.
Hey ...happy with any of our QBs we currently have.
Just pointing out other “data”.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
yeah..one bad day like all QBs have. You may be disappointed...
Spencer HS stats

Senior: 4157 yds, 50 TDs, 2 int, 64% passing

Rushed 223 yds for 9 TDs

Junior: 3346 yds, 40 TDs passing, 310 yds for 7 TDs rushing

never saw numbers like that for any senior.
As in the Athletic Article recently....this was against stiff regional competition.
Hey ...happy with any of our QBs we currently have.
Just pointing out other “data”.

I was commenting on his speed...nothing else. Which is what was in my link.

Yeah..good point as above.
Compare the one off day stat from high school to the two year
cumulative stats for all of junior and senior year in high school.
Time will tell. Lots to look forward to with the QBs in house now.
Don’t count out Padilla...you may be surprised at what he can do!

I'd be pretty happy if Petra's arm and legs and accuracy were as good as Stanley's.
This is not Nate Stanley-bashing but we should all hope for a more accurate quarterback moving forward.

I don't expect too many folks to be content if Petras' arm, legs, and accuracy are "as good as Stanley's." A lot of room for improvement.

This is not Nate Stanley-bashing but we should all hope for a more accurate quarterback moving forward.

I don't expect too many folks to be content if Petras' arm, legs, and accuracy are "as good as Stanley's." A lot of room for improvement.

I sometimes question my judgement for responding to posters such as you and phenomfran but....... The QB at ISU Purdy was much more accurate than Stanley 66% vs 60% and more mobile to but I wouldn't have traded Stanley for Purdy for anything. What kind of lunacy will we have to put up with next year if God forbid Petra's doesn't lead the BIG in passing accuracy or doesn't care to scramble out of the pocket? You and your ilk will do your best to run rough shod over him. Stanley was a winner he didn't win them all but any normal college football fan would say that a QB in the BIG that went 10-3 with a crushing bowl win over USC was a pretty darn good QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: mariner67

if petras also matches Nate's 10-3, I'd be very happy.

ADVERTISEMENT