ADVERTISEMENT

Is Popeye's the worst run food chain in America?

Tenacious E

HB Legend
Dec 4, 2001
We have a Popeye's in Ankeny. Pretty new, but not so new that they shouldn't have kinks worked out. My kids like it so I stop by once every other week or so to pick up some chicken. 3 out of the last 5 times, the person at the drive through said that they had no chicken. Not 9-pm-we-have-to-drop-chicken, but 5:30 pm during a main dinner hour. When asked how long it would be, they said 15 minutes. The first two times were weeknights and I just left. The last time was this past Saturday, and it was a lazy night so I said fine. It was actually about 20 minutes. While waiting, I would say 1/2 of the cars which pulled up to the drive through ordering speaker left after they said it was a wait. What kind of clown show operation runs out of chicken on a consistent basis during the dinner hour? One that I won't be going to anymore.

Apparently, I'm not the only one!

We have a Popeye's in Ankeny. Pretty new, but not so new that they shouldn't have kinks worked out. My kids like it so I stop by once every other week or so to pick up some chicken. 3 out of the last 5 times, the person at the drive through said that they had no chicken. Not 9-pm-we-have-to-drop-chicken, but 5:30 pm during a main dinner hour. When asked how long it would be, they said 15 minutes. The first two times were weeknights and I just left. The last time was this past Saturday, and it was a lazy night so I said fine. It was actually about 20 minutes. While waiting, I would say 1/2 of the cars which pulled up to the drive through ordering speaker left after they said it was a wait. What kind of clown show operation runs out of chicken on a consistent basis during the dinner hour? One that I won't be going to anymore.

Apparently, I'm not the only one!

Seems a little racist don’t ya think?

I will let you in on a secret I have known since going to Popeyes since mid 80s, the least efficient ones that are super slow and give zero ****s on customer service also make their best fried chicken.
It tastes great because it is piping hot with just-in-time production. However, they should have enough data by now to make chicken that is still hot and good, but waiting to be distributed to paying customers.

Reactions: noleclone2
A company that promotes black communities in their businesses. 20% of popeye business are owned by blacks. Guessing other fast food chains aren’t the same.

I’m mainly giving you shit though.

I've never had a problem with a Popeye's, but in my old town in VA, we did have a Taco Bell/KFC that was so bad that it finally closed down. Not from a lack of potential revenue but because they just couldn't get it together. At first I'd get home before finding out there was a problem, then I would go through the drive through and immediately park to go inside because I figured there'd be an issue, and then at the end I'd go inside to order, so I was already in there when I had to have them fix something.

Reactions: ParkerHawk
What kind of clown show operation runs out of chicken on a consistent basis during the dinner hour? One that I won't be going to anymore.

I say the following with the caveat that my restaurant career back in the 70's to early 90's was never in fast food.

I'm assuming nowadays, a restaurant is going to have some sort of system in place where they have an anticipated amount of product they're going to need to have ready to go at certain times of the day. Called it a PAR level if my memory is good. This assumes they (Popeye's) have a pretty good idea when they're going to need a shitload of chicken to sell (and when not to).

For example, they'd need X amount of chicken ready to go at 11am to 1pm, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, etc. This also assumes that they are staffed with competent management, employees, etc...to adjust if demand is higher or lower than those PAR levels. But what you really want to avoid if at all possible is to have too much made at any particular time because once food is cooked, the proverbial clock is ticking as to how long you can keep it in good enough shape quality-wise to sell.

You might have simply gotten there at a time where (just before you got there) higher demand than usual drained what they had on hand, and the powers that be were slow to react.

I know that sounds like Captain Obvious type stuff - but it is sort of a dance a place that sells for example fried chicken (a type of food you just can't cook an entire evening rush's worth of chicken at 4pm and never drop another basket the rest of the night) have to be really good at to get it right, always.

Think of a drive-thru chicken place versus a mostly buffet place like Pizza Ranch. At a PR, all you have to do is see how many people are in your dining room/buffet and check out the register line to guesstimate when the next basket drop needs to occur. The "ranch hand" watching the buffet goes out, sees the buffet pan half full yet the dining room is rocking...boom, drop 2 more baskets.

At a Popeye's though...not as easy to do that. And given your average basket of chicken probably takes anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes to fry...yeah, 15 minutes (or even 20 to get it actually into your hands) - not really surprising.

Not apologizing for them - but to me, fried chicken is probably something that is more prone to things like this more than most drive-thru foods.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I say the following with the caveat that my restaurant career back in the 70's to early 90's was never in fast food.

I'm assuming nowadays, a restaurant is going to have some sort of system in place where they have an anticipated amount of product they're going to need to have ready to go at certain times of the day. Called it a PAR level if my memory is good. This assumes they (Popeye's) have a pretty good idea when they're going to need a shitload of chicken to sell (and when not to).

For example, they'd need X amount of chicken ready to go at 11am to 1pm, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, etc. This also assumes that they are staffed with competent management, employees, etc...to adjust if demand is higher or lower than those PAR levels. But what you really want to avoid if at all possible is to have too much made at any particular time because once food is cooked, the proverbial clock is ticking as to how long you can keep it in good enough shape quality-wise to sell.

You might have simply gotten there at a time where (just before you got there) higher demand than usual drained what they had on hand, and the powers that be were slow to react.

I know that sounds like Captain Obvious type stuff - but it is sort of a dance a place that sells for example fried chicken (a type of food you just can't cook an entire evening rush's worth of chicken at 4pm and never drop another basket the rest of the night) have to be really good at to get it right, always.

Think of a drive-thru chicken place versus a mostly buffet place like Pizza Ranch. At a PR, all you have to do is see how many people are in your dining room/buffet and check out the register line to guesstimate when the next basket drop needs to occur. The "ranch hand" watching the buffet goes out, sees the buffet pan half full yet the dining room is rocking...boom, drop 2 more baskets.

At a Popeye's though...not as easy to do that. And given your average basket of chicken probably takes anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes to fry...yeah, 15 minutes (or even 20 to get it actually into your hands) - not really surprising.

Not apologizing for them - but to me, fried chicken is probably something that is more prone to things like this more than most drive-thru foods.
I understand that it takes 15 minutes to fry, but this was 3 out of the last 5 times during a regular dinner time and it wasn't slammed. It is just poor management.

Back when I used to eat fast food way more often, I'd stop at the Popeyes on Blairs Ferry because it was just a few minutes from where I lived. I'd always get the 5 piece spicy chicken tenders. They would almost always give me 7-8 pieces/csb

Reactions: noleclone2
Never had a problem at the one I go to, but I go there maybe like once a year when I really want a chicken sandwich.

Back when I used to eat fast food way more often, I'd stop at the Popeyes on Blairs Ferry because it was just a few minutes from where I lived. I'd always get the 5 piece spicy chicken tenders. They would almost always give me 7-8 pieces/csb
that's bc they knew you are a little chicken slut.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT