ADVERTISEMENT

Is Settles actually good on TV?

CVHawkeye

Rookie
Apr 25, 2018
I was a huge Jess Settles fan during his first few years at Iowa but then when injuries derailed his career I got a little tired of him when he came back for his 6th season (I know that is unfair). For some reason, maybe it is the Bohannon legacy, I have done a complete 180 on Settles and now I find myself really enjoying him on the BTN broadcast. I find him entertaining and insightful, even if he is a homer. I was always a bit disappointed with Chuck Long when he would be on BTN but I think Jess has been really good. Am I alone on this one?

I also caught Settles on a pod yesterday and found him to be a lot more engaging that I previously had thought. Has Settles always been this way and I was just never giving him credit or has he loosened up in recent years?

Settles Podcast

I think he’s great and I’ve said that in another thread several weeks ago. He is well spoken and fair to both teams. It could be that I’m an Iowa homer and love all Iowa players but he seems like a great color commentator (he’s a color commentator, right, lol?!?!). Regardless he’s a great representation of our state.

He’s good if you are an Iowa fan, pretty bad if you arent.

Wrong, He's even worse. His continuous stories about him and Kenyon every game are really fuggin annoying. We get it Jess, you were teammates with Keegan and Kris's dad. Those old enough remember. We don't care every game.

Definitely gotten better over the years as he gained more experience.
Don't know if he ever does games where iowa isn't playing, but would be interested to see that. Have really liked it when he's in the studio for halftime/post-game when it's not Iowa playing. Just needs to tone down the ties to the Hawks.

I'm not really a fan. I think his close personal attachment to the program clouds his commentary to the point where he lacks credibility. If I was a non-Iowa fan watching the game I'd be shaking my head at some of the things he says. I think earlier in the year I heard him say that Cmac was a good shooter. Cmac is a lot of things but good shooter isn't one if them.

I think Jess does a really good job and enjoy it when he does the game. In fact, I like all the BTN analysts.

But, I think Robbie Hummel is the current gold standard for analysts.
Of the BTN color guys, I have to go with Bardo. I just like his style. Jess is OK but I find his commentary a bit on the obvious side, like most color guys.

I like that Jess is mostly complimentary of all players and coaches. He gives credit where it is due. Yes he is a little more effusive with the Iowa guys but he makes an effort to point out when another team is doing something well. I don't like analysts who constantly criticize.

Hummel is good.

Hes reminds me of Bilas before Jays ego got so big.

Did he do the SW Lou game maybe? I think he did ... but for sure he did one of the Hawkeye Cupcake games and I was very impressed with his knowledge of the earlier Hawks games he DIDN'T do. He obviously does his homework.

Great voice too.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Jess is a great Iowa homer. It would probably get old for the non-Iowa fans.
In comparison to other color commentators he's better than many. He's maybe a bit overly complimentary for my taste. I don't want to hear a constant negative stream about players but I definitely like the color guy to point out when a player missed something, made a poor decision and so forth. Particularly want to hear his thoughts on a coach's decisions.

In comparison to other color commentators he's better than many. He's maybe a bit overly complimentary for my taste. I don't want to hear a constant negative stream about players but I definitely like the color guy to point out when a player missed something, made a poor decision and so forth. Particularly want to hear his thoughts on a coach's decisions.
Agree, Jess needs to tone down the constant compliments twoards everyone he personally knows.

It comes off as being less than credible.

He compared Patrick to Kevin Durant just because he lead the break.

Thats just goofy.

I really enjoy Jess!!! With that being said my son played against Trent Meachum in the AAU circuit and I feel you can get involved with people you know or have a connection with! But Jess is really good imo!

I think he’s great and I’ve said that in another thread several weeks ago. He is well spoken and fair to both teams. It could be that I’m an Iowa homer and love all Iowa players but he seems like a great color commentator (he’s a color commentator, right, lol?!?!). Regardless he’s a great representation of our state.
He is very good. And very well informed on who is playing. I find Jess a good listen, and value his input

I don’t have a problem with Jess.

Don't know if he ever does games where iowa isn't playing, but would be interested to see that. Have really liked it when he's in the studio for halftime/post-game when it's not Iowa playing. Just needs to tone down the ties to the Hawks.

I know it's just one thing but something popped up on Twitter with Indiana fans being complementary of him.

We've all heard certain color guys make snide remarks about the Iowa program (I'm looking at you, Brust) so why not have one that's biased for Iowa?

Reactions: Speedway1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT