ADVERTISEMENT

Is the Big 12 outstanding in 2021?

cidsports

HB King
Oklahoma last won a BCS title in 2000. Let's not even talk about Texas today, since the Vince Young era is over. He was an outstanding college QB.

Iowa State is better today than last year. - ESPN FPI ratings

Sorry, very few teams in Top 25 are better right now than last year.

But, Oklahoma and Iowa State are per FPI ratings.

The Athletic today.

Iowa State seems to be unable to make it higher than about No. 40 in overall recruiting rankings. Is it because of lack of interest from top recruits, or lack of targeting those recruits, or something else? How do you think Iowa State increases their recruiting rankings and do you think they need to improve? Matt Campbell has done quite well at turning unheralded three-star recruits into all-conference players, although it is becoming much harder to find diamonds in the rough. — Andre S.

I have said this on the Andy Staples Show a ton and I’ll say it here: I think Iowa State’s staff is among the best in the nation in recruiting. That staff took a roster that ranked No. 57 in the 247Sports Team Talent Composite and nearly won the Big 12. I’m not sure if people fully grasp what kind of accomplishment that is, and that’s the reason I’d take Campbell to be my coach over any of the up-and-coming names in the sport if I were an athletic director.

Iowa State’s 2021 class finished No. 58 overall. And the 2022 class currently ranks No. 42, though it has only four commitments. I understand if you’re an Iowa State fan and you’re thinking, “How can we not assemble a top-25 class after making it to the Big 12 Championship Game?”

That’s a valid question and a real concern. But the thing I’d urge everyone to always remember is that recruiting and building a program are a slow burn. It takes a lot more than one really good season to build something, and the dramatic recruiting improvement isn’t going to happen overnight.

There is no question that Iowa State has a ceiling. If you look at the 10-year period from 2011 to 2020, Iowa State’s average class ranked No. 57, with a high of No. 46 in both 2019 and 2020. You have to look at what the Cyclones have done in the past to create legitimate recruiting expectations for the near future.

We already know that Iowa State is a top-tier program for talent evaluation and development. The next phase, of course, is to continue to find those diamonds and gradually improve the recruiting rankings over time. The next step is to sign a top-40 class, keep winning, then sign a top-35 class, then keep winning and so on. There is no overnight transformation.

I’d feel good about my team if I were an Iowa State fan right now. The hard part is remembering that patience is a virtue all while praying Campbell doesn’t get hired elsewhere.

Both Indiana, Iowa State and we may need to include Iowa. Wisconsin was weak last year the department.

How good of a pass rush will each team have?

Oklahoma is 0-4 in the College Playoff. As the Big 12 has gotten more competitive knocking each other off, like 2019, will a Big 12 team even be in Indianapolis for the College Football Playoff?

May be another reason Big Ten moved Big Ten Media Day for 2021.

Good PR move for conference, since CFP will be in the B1G footprint for 2021-22 season.

Iowa State may get to 9-3 in 2021. Vast improvement to 7-6 in 2019.

I doubt they will be a 1 loss team in 2021. Hopefully, the wins continue for Iowa in the Cy-Hawk series.

Matt Campbell has done well, but the Big 12 is being overrated to an extent, as well.

• Sad
Reactions: BXY and ChipHilton
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News