ADVERTISEMENT

Is the era of taco pizza coming to an end?

This sounds like a fine opportunity for HORT to crowdfund the purchase of Happy Joe's. We can just run it on here

2 things...

a) Taco pizza with beans isn't a taco pizza, it's a burrito pizza. YUCK. Godfathers ftw. I worked for Godfathers back around 1979 when they first came out with it. Last time I had one was last year...it's the exact same pizza as back then and it was delicious.

b) I keep hearing Casey's has gone downhill (like they have changed recipes recently) and I freely admit I only buy 3-4 pies per year total from 2 different stores. But each of these 2 stores I buy from, the pizza is the exact same pizza I've been buying for 20+ years and is pretty damn good given the price/convenience. Never had a bad one. Dough always fresh, plenty of ingredients, loads of cheese, never takes more than 20 minutes if I pick it up.

2 things...

a) Taco pizza with beans isn't a taco pizza, it's a burrito pizza. YUCK. Godfathers ftw. I worked for Godfathers back around 1979 when they first came out with it. Last time I had one was last year...it's the exact same pizza as back then and it was delicious.

b) I keep hearing Casey's has gone downhill (like they have changed recipes recently) and I freely admit I only buy 3-4 pies per year total from 2 different stores. But each of these 2 stores I buy from, the pizza is the exact same pizza I've been buying for 20+ years and is pretty damn good given the price/convenience. Never had a bad one. Dough always fresh, plenty of ingredients, loads of cheese, never takes more than 20 minutes if I pick it up.

I rode a bunch of miles on the bike today in Johnson and Washington counties. As usual, Casey’s pizza was my fuel. The Riverside Casey’s made an excellent pepperoni slice. The Kalona’s Casey’s made a great sausage slice. I have no complaints.

Agreed. I assume they will just drop the name and keep on going. You can tell it’s family run.

1/2 Taco 1/2 BLT is the go to.

Oh yes. The matador is up there too

images

Curious question... As I stated earlier in this thread thread that I live in an area where it's a long time overpriced independent franchise that will never fail...

Do they do something magical elsewhere where it's anything other than a sausage pizza they just put the other toppings on after pulling it out of the oven?

Casey's Pizza is a shell of its former self, including the taco pizza. There, I said it.

You’re not wrong. Definitely hit and miss with Casey’s. About 50% of the time you’ll get a well cooked pizza, dough and all. The other half you get a garbage pizza that doesn’t stay together.

The war with KwikStar must be taking a toll on Casey’s.

Reactions: Cougar63 and torbee
Curious question... As I stated earlier in this thread thread that I live in an area where it's a long time overpriced independent franchise that will never fail...

Do they do something magical elsewhere where it's anything other than a sausage pizza they just put the other toppings on after pulling it out of the oven?
As noted earlier, the taco pizza has a sauce that's like a combination of refried beans and pizza sauce that is way better than it sounds.

Also from the article franchise locations are not affected by the bankruptcy, which has to do with downsizing the corporate office and longterm leases/contracts.

Pizza Hut's taco pizza hit differently than any other I've had because of the refried bean base. Still chasing that high.

Eff you… you’re wrong.

Putting a sh!t ton of lettuce, stale soggy Doritos, and “taco sauce” (American food trying to be Mexican food) on pizza crust is turrible.
You might have an argument for day-old cold taco pizza, but fresh taco pizza, before the tortilla chips go soggy, can be a nice change of pace from the standard stuff.

I had a taco pizza from Marcos yesterday. Not gonna lie. Pretty legit. I don't know why Marcos gets such hate.

Happy Joe’s got to big for its birches when it started changing $25 for a pizza

the market is over saturated with much cheaper pizza options and HJ’s just isn't good enough to demand that price
Bought a everything pizza a Domino’s only once. $21.00
Never again

Reactions: GOHOX69
As noted earlier, the taco pizza has a sauce that's like a combination of refried beans and pizza sauce that is way better than it sounds.

Also from the article franchise locations are not affected by the bankruptcy, which has to do with downsizing the corporate office and longterm leases/contracts.
Regional differences I guess. Around here it literally is just a sausage pizza then gets topped with the other taco ingredients. And this is one of the original anchor locations when they expanded outside the quad cities.

I guess it's a weird arrangement that these very old franchises follow the corporate branding but basically operate completely autonomously. Generally the oversight is a little lower as a franchisee vs corporate but the point of franchise agreements is maintaining consistency no matter what store you walk into. Are there other chain places that have so many outliers in their network like that? It seems any Happy Joe's you go to is completely distinguishable from the last one you were at from both their pricing and also the actual presentation of their product. No two ever seem to be alike.

Regional differences I guess. Around here it literally is just a sausage pizza then gets topped with the other taco ingredients. And this is one of the original anchor locations when they expanded outside the quad cities.

I guess it's a weird arrangement that these very old franchises follow the corporate branding but basically operate completely autonomously. Generally the oversight is a little lower as a franchisee vs corporate but the point of franchise agreements is maintaining consistency no matter what store you walk into. Are there other chain places that have so many outliers in their network like that? It seems any Happy Joe's you go to is completely distinguishable from the last one you were at from both their pricing and also the actual presentation of their product. No two ever seem to be alike.
That's bizarre. My experience is very different. I've had the Taco Joe in at least 6-8 different cities, from Urbandale to Le Claire to Mesa, AZ, and it's always exactly the same and awesome.

Go to their website right now, click on a location and an order menu, and this is what you see for the Taco Joe:

"Our special refried bean sauce, taco-seasoned beef and sausage, topped with lettuce, tomatoes, and taco chips. Our world famous pizza!"

I think you should try it again, and confirm the toppings when you order.

I had a taco pizza from Marcos yesterday. Not gonna lie. Pretty legit. I don't know why Marcos gets such hate.
I’ve only been to Marcos once. I went with my brother in-law and we ordered some pizzas and went next door to a video store, this was like 2018, picked out some movies and then we went to a window in the video store to pick up the pizza, wild stuff. Not sure if that’s a thing at Marco’s or If the video store finally died at that one location i went to.

I’ve only been to Marcos once. I went with my brother in-law and we ordered some pizzas and went next door to a video store, this was like 2018, picked out some movies and then we went to a window in the video store to pick up the pizza, wild stuff. Not sure if that’s a thing at Marco’s or If the video store finally died at that one location i went to.
It used to be a thing. The video store part has gone the way of the dodo. The pizza is still existent.

Haven't had Happy Joes in years. Always liked their bbq beef pizza. Anyone know of a pizza joint that still has a bbq beef pizza. I don't even think you can get one at casey's anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT