ADVERTISEMENT

Is the NFL a competitor with NCAA FB?

funksouljon

HR Heisman
Jan 26, 2004
STL area
While this board is skewed towards college, do you view the NFL and College ball as competition?

We were discussing that Miami Pitt playing (recorded) on Thanksgiving seemed odd considering Turkey Day historically has been a double header for the NFL.

Saturdays are for the boys, NFL has started on some Thur games, NFL has started encroaching on Saturday games towards the end of the NCAA season over the last decade, FSU LSU did play on Sunday....

Is there a growing shouldering in on the other's "reserved" dates? Do fans care?

Personally, the only NFL game I watch is the Super Bowl, maybe a playoff game here and there, but I will watch college regardless of team if its a good match up.

Interesting. - https://theathletic.com/3729913/2022/10/26/nfl-college-football-playoff-tv/

Last edited:
Haven't clicked to read yet but pretty sure NFL dwarfs CFB. I thought I read somewhere that part of their antitrust exemption is not to schedule Friday and Saturday games (until December) that would compete with HS and college games.

Read the article, it talks exactly about that and more. Very interesting learning on some of the background.

And yes, the NFL is bigger now, but when it started, CFB was the bigger sport.

FSU/LSU on the Sunday before Labor Day is nothing new. CFB has played each day of that weekend for a long time because the NFL doesn’t start until the following week.

And the NFL has been playing on Satudays in December after the CFB regular season ends for a long time as well.

Reactions: LuteHawk
The Biblical schedule for football in America:

Friday night: High School football
Saturday: College football
Sunday: Professional (NFL) football

There may be some variation to this sacred schedule,
however the majority of games follow this plan.

ADVERTISEMENT