ADVERTISEMENT

Is the PAC12 playing ball this year?

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
I have read they may follow suit but with all the wild fires and other things it’s challenging but I think they need to at least try ... it would be definitely weird being the only P5 conference not playing this season

I have read they may follow suit but with all the wild fires and other things it’s challenging but I think they need to at least try ... it would be definitely weird being the only P5 conference not playing this season

Interesting how fast the narrative has changed in about 2 weeks. I have my doubts as to whether the Pac-12 will play this fall, but it sounds like at least some coaches and players are going to at least try. I can't emphasize enough what a shock it is that enough happened behind the scenes to get 11 Big 10 presidents to change their minds on playing football.

Reactions: jo12208
Interesting how fast the narrative has changed in about 2 weeks. I have my doubts as to whether the Pac-12 will play this fall, but it sounds like at least some coaches and players are going to at least try. I can't emphasize enough what a shock it is that enough happened behind the scenes to get 11 Big 10 presidents to change their minds on playing football.

We know more about the virus and how to test, treat, etc than we did even just 30 days ago. I also think $ome hard fact$ hit home.

Based on what Scott said related to all the new testing they are setting up, it seemed they were going to try.
Newsom Gov. of California said yesterday there is nothing preventing them from playing based on California regulations. (Again I believe this is all based on the kind of testing the schools have access to)

However the air quality is not good from all the fires, and lots of places like warehouses limited hours or shut down due to the extremely poor air quality up and down the coast. Right now that is probably a bigger point of emphasis.

But I think they might do a 7 game regular season and have a similar year end 1 vs 1 2 vs 2 type thing . That would give the teams 8 games played. (Though 0 options for a bye week if needed for make ups.)

After seeing the Big10 have success, some of the coaches and ADs are going to definitely try and there have been some encouraging reports so far in terms of comments from governors in California and Oregon. But their challenges in convincing their presidents will likely be greater than the challenges the Big10 faced I would think. I’m sure it took a lot of convincing to get the Rutgers president to change his vote, based on the interview with him that was posted just a few days before the vote. And I would imagine the Pac12 has a lot of presidents that think like him.

Looks like they are shooting for an Oct 31 restart.

The CFP selections are set for Dec 20; makes you wonder if those selections will be delayed a week.

The story from the San Jose Mercury News:

The liberal western states didn't want to be the only ones not playing so they caved but have no doubt that they would love to shut everything down.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Looks like they are shooting for an Oct 31 restart.

The CFP selections are set for Dec 20; makes you wonder if those selections will be delayed a week.

The story from the San Jose Mercury News:

That would be really tough delaying CFP selections another week. Personally I would love it, and it would give the B1G some more flexibility, but CCG's on Dec 25-26? I can't imagine them pulling that off. Also, all these players declared academically ineligible for their bowl game would now be so for their CCG.

Hopefully the Pac-12 can manage an Oct 24th start and a similar format to the B1G.

It sounds like most Pac12 coaches are hesitant to start in October. There was a good article in the Athletic today with a lot of quotes from coaches. The basic reason is that these teams were really shut down, it wasn’t like the Big10 where most teams continued to train at a minimum and most teams even still practiced. There are quotes from Pac12 coaches about how they haven’t even been able to get their kids in a squat rack since March, they have been taking kettle bells out to the parking lot to get a workout in, let alone any type of actual football practice. So they really can’t just turn around and play anytime soon.

It sounds like most Pac12 coaches are hesitant to start in October. There was a good article in the Athletic today with a lot of quotes from coaches. The basic reason is that these teams were really shut down, it wasn’t like the Big10 where most teams continued to train at a minimum and most teams even still practiced. There are quotes from Pac12 coaches about how they haven’t even been able to get their kids in a squat rack since March, they have been taking kettle bells out to the parking lot to get a workout in, let alone any type of actual football practice. So they really can’t just turn around and play anytime soon.

Well, according to Nebraska fans, nobody on the team lifted weights during Riley's entire tenure, so I don't see the problem :D

Why teams stopped even lifting is beyond stupid. And they should have at least been doing the 12 hours of practices. No matter what. That is just dumb and poooooooooooooor leadership,

Why teams stopped even lifting is beyond stupid. And they should have at least been doing the 12 hours of practices. No matter what. That is just dumb and poooooooooooooor leadership,
I think it had to do with the restrictions placed on them by the governors and local governments. For instance I know here in Denver for awhile all the gyms were ordered shut down and then they started only gradually opening up, for instance allowing just 4 people at a time in the gym. Presumably in California and Oregon and Washington the restrictions were worse. And getting your 100 person team a workout when you can only have 4 people in the gym at a time is not very realistic. It sounds like a lot of these campuses were also shut down with the kids sent home for a lot of this time.

I don’t know how the NFL teams in those states did it. They either got an exemption or just had enough money they could get every player their own setup to be able to workout. For instance I remember reading how George Kittle went to Nashville and bought a bunch of garage gym equipment. College kids can’t do that.

I heard on the WUW podcast months and months ago that the Iowa strength staff was making sure each Iowa player had a simple weight setup at home to train on their own. P12 could easily have done the same a long time ago.

The football coaches and players have been adamant about wanting to play, but suddenly six weeks isn't enough time for them to get ready. They train year round, lets play some ball.

I'm guessing when the B1G news broke, he opted for the lone precaution remaining, and locked himself in a dark room with a handle of cheap hooch, and a loaded revolver.
The only light he has are from the candles surrounding his shrine to AOC, Kamala Harris, and the Clintons.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
I think it had to do with the restrictions placed on them by the governors and local governments. For instance I know here in Denver for awhile all the gyms were ordered shut down and then they started only gradually opening up, for instance allowing just 4 people at a time in the gym. Presumably in California and Oregon and Washington the restrictions were worse. And getting your 100 person team a workout when you can only have 4 people in the gym at a time is not very realistic. It sounds like a lot of these campuses were also shut down with the kids sent home for a lot of this time.

I don’t know how the NFL teams in those states did it. They either got an exemption or just had enough money they could get every player their own setup to be able to workout. For instance I remember reading how George Kittle went to Nashville and bought a bunch of garage gym equipment. College kids can’t do that.
California's rules regarding gyms are based on the county's COVID status and there are four risk categories. Gyms in counties with the highest risk can be open at 10% of capacity. LA and Alameda counties are still in that group, but Santa Clara no longer is. I think - but haven't confirmed - that Stanford's gyms can now operate at 25% of capacity. Gyms at Cal, UCLA, and USC are still stuck at 10%.

Undergrad classes at these schools were on-line from the get-go, so they never had to send anyone home - the dorms were closed to most students. It's possible the athletes are on-campus.

While indoor fitness centers are under tight constraints, outdoor workouts, practices, and games are not. As reported by ESPN, the CA governor has said the state has no restrictions regarding the teams playing. I don't know why athletic departments haven't already moved weights and other fitness equipment outdoors under canopies.

California's rules regarding gyms are based on the county's COVID status and there are four risk categories. Gyms in counties with the highest risk can be open at 10% of capacity. LA and Alameda counties are still in that group, but Santa Clara no longer is. I think - but haven't confirmed - that Stanford's gyms can now operate at 25% of capacity. Gyms at Cal, UCLA, and USC are still stuck at 10%.

Undergrad classes at these schools were on-line from the get-go, so they never had to send anyone home - the dorms were closed to most students. It's possible the athletes are on-campus.

While indoor fitness centers are under tight constraints, outdoor workouts, practices, and games are not. As reported by ESPN, the CA governor has said the state has no restrictions regarding the teams playing. I don't know why athletic departments haven't already moved weights and other fitness equipment outdoors under canopies.
It seems silly they couldn’t just get an exemption. All of the shutdowns make sense if we don’t know who has the virus so we must assume anyone could have it and be spreading it at any time. But if you can test frequently then you should be able to operate normally and only quarantine those that test positive. Same thing if you have a bunch of kids that have all had the virus already. Anyone that tests positive for antibodies should be able to get into the gym together.

I assume this is how NFL teams in California have been operating. Are the 49ers really taking their squat racks outside under canopies or are they just testing frequently and then otherwise operating normally?

I heard on the WUW podcast months and months ago that the Iowa strength staff was making sure each Iowa player had a simple weight setup at home to train on their own. P12 could easily have done the same a long time ago.

The football coaches and players have been adamant about wanting to play, but suddenly six weeks isn't enough time for them to get ready. They train year round, lets play some ball.
At the very least, if they're not prepared, they're at least unprepared together. Even playing field kind of thing.

It seems silly they couldn’t just get an exemption. All of the shutdowns make sense if we don’t know who has the virus so we must assume anyone could have it and be spreading it at any time. But if you can test frequently then you should be able to operate normally and only quarantine those that test positive. Same thing if you have a bunch of kids that have all had the virus already. Anyone that tests positive for antibodies should be able to get into the gym together.

I assume this is how NFL teams in California have been operating. Are the 49ers really taking their squat racks outside under canopies or are they just testing frequently and then otherwise operating normally?
I think you are correct regarding the 49ers. They conduct frequent testing and so have an exemption. Presumably college athletics could do the same thing.

ADVERTISEMENT