ADVERTISEMENT

Is the plagiarism thing a Dem dirty trick?

Apparently you missed the "pre-" in the front. Nixon was famous for dirty tricks, notably through Donald Segretti. He talks about it extensively in his autobiography.

There are no politicians who don't play dirty tricks. At least, none that are successful politicians.

see, dang it, this is why yesterday I was telling you guys to watch with sound turned down, then this never would have happened

good grief, trying to watch Jackie o speeches see what she said, but it's tough. that woman was not good at speeches

And he admitted it and said he should have credited Patrick. Trumps team seems to be going with the deny deny deny strategy.

How long did it take him to admit it? And if nobody would have called him on it, would he have?

This is very reminiscent of Obama's borrowing Deval Patrick's "words, just words" concept and phrasing from a speech that Patrick had given a couple of years earlier.

You mean this one...

airflotus.0_standard_709.0.gif

I responded here and then looked around the twitters and interwebs. This plagiarism thing seems like another assault on Trump by the left wing and media that is going to help Trump more. Average thinking American sees what a big deal is being made, and sees right through it. It actually increases sympathy for Trump the person.

This is wierd, and I'm really looking forward to the DNC, it should be a fantastic response to this week's show. I didn't see much of yesterday's festivities (go cubs go!), but the reaction is gold.

Yet another organizational error from the Trump campaign. How can anyone think that this guy is capable of leading our government? Unforced error after unforced error and for some reason his supporters don't think that this is what a Trump Presidency would look like. Just one colossal f*** up after another.

Yet another organizational error from the Trump campaign. How can anyone think that this guy is capable of leading our government? Unforced error after unforced error and for some reason his supporters don't think that this is what a Trump Presidency would look like. Just one colossal f*** up after another.
look at the post above yours

How long did it take him to admit it? And if nobody would have called him on it, would he have?
From what I can tell the speech was on a Saturday and he admitted it on Monday. I doubt he would have admitted it if not called out. Also of note: Obama and Patrick were friends and Obama claims that Patrick told him to use the line (who knows whether that is true or not).

And my post explains exactly why it is important. It's too bad you and other "average" Americans don't get that.
oh, we get it just fine. trump could come out and say , "America sux, I hate all of you, your wife is a slut, and my kids are lazy", and he would get a bump in the polls. we understand this . we also understand it drives libs nuts, and you think we are stupid and we don't get it. no, we get it alright. this is like payback for 8 lousy years of Obama. this is revenge!! ha ha it is glorious as heck.

do I think trump should be qualified to be in the whitehouse? nope. that's why I love it and want him in!!!!! to wreck things. we need to destroy this crap. start over. bio, you need to wake up. the revolution starts with total dismantling of the way things are in dc now

From what I can tell the speech was on a Saturday and he admitted it on Monday. I doubt he would have admitted it if not called out. Also of note: Obama and Patrick were friends and Obama claims that Patrick told him to use the line (who knows whether that is true or not).
So he admitted he wrote it and intentionally lifted the concept and phrasing, but no harm no foul, right?

You have to realize that this is not a case of rating Trump. It's a case of comparing Trump to Hillary. Her past shows even more incompetence, plus evil and dishonesty.

If he didn't footnote or reference Patrick it is still plagiarism....those are the rules.

As I said in another thread, it was pretty common political speech, and I wouldn't even be surprised if some of the same writers worked on both. There's no doubt in my mind that neither one of the first lady hopefuls wrote the words to begin with.

This is media and political opponents trying to find something to cast a shadow on Trump, by making his wife appear dishonest. I view it as a low blow, and can honestly say that her speech will in no way influence my vote. These things drive leftists nuts about Melania:

1. She's a legal immigrant
2. She's a woman
3. She speaks 5 languages
4. She stays home and raises her son
5. She's successful in her own right
6. She's incredibly hot
7. She delivered a speech in a language not native to her

If only she were the wife of a liberal, she'd be an unqualified hero. However...she's married to Trump, so the only thing anyone can talk about is plagiarism. It's just politicals being politicals...
I think she's great. For an ambitious woman, she married well, and she's done well with the accompanying advantages of marrying into wealth.

However, plagiarism is bad, and I would say, because we know that she is a very bright person, surprising. I, personally, was hoping for more being that she, having grown up outside the US, offers a unique perspective.

Of course the media is giving this a lot of attention: it's controversial and political candy that, until people demand different, keeps eyeballs on screens and keeps the money flowing into these corporate-owned media properties. Honestly my recurring thought in this entire election process has been that until we demand better from our "news" media things will not improve in this country.

All that aside, the interesting thing about Ms. Trump's plagiarizing Ms. Obama is that it just serves to demonstrate that really, despite what everything is trying to tell us (and train us), we're actually more similar than different. Pitting us against each other is part of various models to keep things as they are — for the media, for the corporate and political power structures.

Okay, go on back to the silly left-right squabbling.

Reactions: jbincr
we're actually more similar than different.
I'm always amazed when listening to political speeches how often I think to myself: "the other side would say that too!" It's true, they agree on many many things, yet the disagreements are focused on more than anything. They make good stories and good debates.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
And my post explains exactly why it is important. It's too bad you and other "average" Americans don't get that.

It's too bad that you and other "average" Americans don't get that both parties are powered by the Big Banks and that neither give two rips about you or me.

Reactions: hawkland14
I'm always amazed when listening to political speeches how often I think to myself: "the other side would say that too!" It's true, they agree on many many things, yet the disagreements are focused on more than anything. They make good stories and good debates.
I disagree — they don't make "good" debates at all. They make for "entertaining" "debates" — I don't really consider them debates, rather just silly childish finger-pointing and name-calling and sloganeering shouting matches.

Our media knows this and has wagered their business model on it, and our democracy is the loser.

What real good has ever come from pitting people against each other?

It's too bad that you and other "average" Americans don't get that both parties are powered by the Big Banks and that neither give two rips about you or me.

I don't believe this argument was being made anywhere in this thread, but ok.

You have to realize that this is not a case of rating Trump. It's a case of comparing Trump to Hillary. Her past shows even more incompetence, plus evil and dishonesty.

And the fact that you think Trump is better on this says a lot.

So he admitted he wrote it and intentionally lifted the concept and phrasing, but no harm no foul, right?
I think if Trumps camp would have admitted it was lifted and acknowledged it was a mistake it wouldn't have been that big of deal. We all would have laughed at the mistake and moved on. To me what's worse is Manafort claiming this wasn't lifted. It's just so ridiculous. If Obama would have claimed he didn't copy Patrick's line then he would have deserved much ridicule.

Off on a tangent trivia - For decades people have claimed that JFK's Pulitzer winning Profiles in Courage was ripped off from various sources. In Denver, my wife worked with the grandson of one of the people who allegedly wrote one of the stories JFK stole. And JFK did not even write the book, his speech writer Ted Sorensen did.

Well maybe...but I think all of you are missing a very key point here...that is, Melania had no INTENT to plagiarize here, therefore, it's all good. Nothing to see, kindly move along now. :D:rolleyes::D

Reactions: N_fuego
do I think trump should be qualified to be in the whitehouse? nope. that's why I love it and want him in!!!!! to wreck things. we need to destroy this crap. start over. bio, you need to wake up. the revolution starts with total dismantling of the way things are in dc now

Yeah, I don't want that. There are plenty of countries out there that are what you want. I'd suggest moving there if that's what you want so bad.

If he didn't footnote or reference Patrick it is still plagiarism....those are the rules.
Yeah, probably technically plagiarism. I don't think the situations are completely comparable. One, Obama admitted it and said he should have credited Patrick. Two, Patrick told Obama to use the line. Patrick and Obama were friends and Obama had used lines from Patrick before (and credited him). As I said above, to me what's worse is the denial that it was lifted from MO's speech. Mistakes are going to happen and often it's how you respond.

Off on a tangent trivia - For decades people have claimed that JFK's Pulitzer winning Profiles in Courage was ripped off from various sources. In Denver, my wife worked with the grandson of one of the people who allegedly wrote one of the stories JFK stole. And JFK did not even write the book, his speech writer Ted Sorensen did.
There has been accusations that Bill Ayers wrote one of Obama's books.

ADVERTISEMENT