ADVERTISEMENT

Is the Purdue game a must win?

LUC8

HR All-American
Sep 23, 2003
Yes, it’s the old cliche but this team needs a win badly to get the confidence going. Most importantly the offense needs to start progressing more with plenty of games left to play but I don’t think it’s there yet. I could see a 17-14, 24-21 win or something along those lines.

Reactions: amahawk
Yes, so we can add another victory against a low-level Big Ten team to the win column. If Iowa loses, all is lost and Petras takes over (I know, Stanley will not get benched).

For us to have the season we thought we "could" ...yes. Right now everything minus a national championship is still on the table.

Yes, it’s the old cliche but this team needs a win badly to get the confidence going. Most importantly the offense needs to start progressing more with plenty of games left to play but I don’t think it’s there yet. I could see a 17-14, 24-21 win or something along those lines.
If the offense has some success early, this game might not be close.

They have to win out to win the B1G West combined with +O$U beating Bucky Badger and Bucky spanking the Goofers along the way.

Reactions: LUC8
Yes, so we can add another victory against a low-level Big Ten team to the win column. If Iowa loses, all is lost and Petras takes over (I know, Stanley will not get benched).
"You know nothing, Jon Snow."

I'm honestly shocked that the Boilers are nearly 3-TD dogs in this one, even in Kinnick. Purdue isn't half as good as either Mich or Penn State, but they're not exactly pushovers and made short work of Maryland. They have some pieces to give us some trouble, and have proven so the past couple of seasons.

This is exactly the kind of game Iowa needs. It could either boost the offense's confidence, or they can continue to get in their own damn way and make this too close for comfort.

I'm hoping this is the game Goodson goes off and has a great day (i.e. 150 yards and a couple of TDs).

Michigan was a must win. So was PSU. They're all must wins if you really are playing for a Big Ten title and the things that such a title can bring. But KF seems OK with whatever.

Which reminds me of when Hayden made it clear early in his tenure that playing top ten teams close and losing is NOT the point. Winning is. KF, at least in his demeanor and public comments, seems to have forgotten that.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
I think Iowa wins this game pretty easily. Purdue has been absolutely decimated by injuries with literally our 2 best defensive players (Neal and Bailey) and 2 best offensive players (Sindelar and Moore) all injured. It's hard for any team to win when your 4 most important players are sidelined.
Plus, our starting MLB isn't even a MAC level player (but he happens to be the DC's son, so he's starting) at 5'11, 215#. If you run at him or make him play pass D, you'll get big chunks of yardage. He also likes to get dragged 5+ yards downfield by B10 running backs.
Purdue's only hope is to hit a bunch of home runs and Iowa to turn the ball over 3+ times.

Interesting take bonefish. I wasn’t fully aware of Purdue’s injury situation. Seems to explain the steps back from what I thought could be a decent team this year and another tough win for Iowa. Maybe this is just what the Hawkeyes need to get on track.

Reactions: WestIAHawk
If we’re going to have any chance of finishing in the top 25 to end the season, then yes. For a 10 win season, definitely yes assuming we lose to WI and win a bowl game.

No, it's just another game in another disappointing season that will end in some s#1t bowl game that the clowns would die to go to.

Yes, it is a must win. I dont know why anyone would consider this game not a must win....

As someone above stated to achieve some goals it's a must win...

My reasons...

1. B1G West foe...(theres still a chance)
2. Lost 2 in a row...
3. Team confidence...
4. It's at home...
5. Its Purdue....(they are hurt)
6. This could jumpstart a winning streak..

The stat that surprised me was that Purdue has more wins over Iowa in Kinnick stadium that any other team.

In order, I want wins over Wisconsin, Northwestern and Purdue.
If we get that I will be happy. All have beat us the last 2+ years.

Purdue will be our "get right" game......which sucks because it needed to be Penn State, but Penn State didn't stop to think about their future........

source.gif

They are all must wins!! Hopefully they can find a couple offensive lineman that can block or we will be in trouble every game. If I am an opposing coach I am going to blitz on every down until they prove they can beat it! Stanley cannot throw on the run well and obviously has trouble extending plays with his feet. Should be an interesting finish for sure!!

They are all must wins!! Hopefully they can find a couple offensive lineman that can block or we will be in trouble every game. If I am an opposing coach I am going to blitz on every down until they prove they can beat it! Stanley cannot throw on the run well and obviously has trouble extending plays with his feet. Should be an interesting finish for sure!!

Your O line can't be worse than Purdue's. It's pretty painful to watch these guys block decent B10 level D linemen. We've got a Freshman QB, no Rondale Moore, no running game, and a patchwork OL. Purdue will throw it about 50+ times and hope for the big play all day long (which has actually worked the last 2 years against Iowa but we're really banged up right now).

The stat that surprised me was that Purdue has more wins over Iowa in Kinnick stadium that any other team.

That is probably a result of the number of times we've played them.

Minnesota 111
Wisky 91
Purdue 89
NW 79
Indiana 77
Illinois 74
OSU 65
ISU 61
Michigan 60
MSU 47
Nebraska 38
PSU 28
ND 24

This will be a solid victory for Iowa by 2 touchdowns or more. If we lose Saturday, then we don't have a very good football team.

I would agree with this sentiment, and I don't anticipate a loss... but my gosh, if it happens, KF & Co will be under tremendous scrutiny and I'd be worried that this year could go down in the same fashion as 2014 "that's football!"

Reactions: Suterman
If Iowa loses to Purdue again, I would consider it one of KF's biggest F-ups, and it would clearly indicate that this program is going nowhere anymore under his regime. Iowa football would continue to exist, and may have some great times ahead, but if a loss Saturday does not mean "crash and burn with KF and company," then I don't know what would.

If Iowa loses to Purdue again, I would consider it one of KF's biggest F-ups, and it would clearly indicate that this program is going nowhere anymore under his regime. Iowa football would continue to exist, and may have some great times ahead, but if a loss Saturday does not mean "crash and burn with KF and company," then I don't know what would.
Correct answer. For me... This is a must win or else my interest for the rest of season/Ferentz tenure goes to 0.

With that said... I think hawks pound Purdue this week

That is probably a result of the number of times we've played them.

Minnesota 111
Wisky 91
Purdue 89
NW 79
Indiana 77
Illinois 74
OSU 65
ISU 61
Michigan 60
MSU 47
Nebraska 38
PSU 28
ND 24
So when The B1G was the Big 2 Little 8, how did we get by with not playing OSU and Michigan more often?

Your O line can't be worse than Purdue's. It's pretty painful to watch these guys block decent B10 level D linemen. We've got a Freshman QB, no Rondale Moore, no running game, and a patchwork OL. Purdue will throw it about 50+ times and hope for the big play all day long (which has actually worked the last 2 years against Iowa but we're really banged up right now).
is rondale a 100% not playing? Last I saw he was "unlikely" iirc.

you must not have watched Iowa's O line the past 2 weeks ;). painful might be an understatement :(.

So when The B1G was the Big 2 Little 8, how did we get by with not playing OSU and Michigan more often?
there were less games in a season and still as many OOC games. not playing all teams is not new....still dumb but not new :)

I'm tempted to call these next 2 "must wins".

We're only going to put up with losing to these 2 for so long and enough is enough.....

you must not have watched Iowa's O line the past 2 weeks ;). painful might be an understatement :(.
He's not going to play. Purdue will probably play 65-70% underclassman in this game. Continuing the trend they have done most of the season. Purdue is playing for next year and beyond.

He's not going to play. Purdue will probably play 65-70% underclassman in this game. Continuing the trend they have done most of the season. Purdue is playing for next year and beyond.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT