ADVERTISEMENT

Is the world over-populated?

BrianNole09

HR Legend
May 8, 2005
Is climate change caused by too many people?

A couple years ago a Scientist came to my work. I forget his qualifications, but he was legit.

I asked him if there were too many people in the world and if it was causing environmental damage.

His response:

"There are billions too many people in the world."

What do you think?

I remember reading that the world population is exploding and that Africa is driving much of the boom. The result will be huge famines in Africa in the next 50-100 years.

Good grief, yes. We really need a decent war instead of the pissy little wars we've had lately.

stop-breeding-cartoon-steve-bell-1994.jpg

Is climate change caused by too many people?

A couple years ago a Scientist came to my work. I forget his qualifications, but he was legit.

I asked him if there were too many people in the world and if it was causing environmental damage.

His response:

"There are billions too many people in the world."

What do you think?

Some areas are over-populated, others are not. Food and water are not volume problems, they're distribution problems. Dirty energy is a technology problem (and political one).

Yes, the world is obviously overpopulated. The world could use a superbug to thin the herd.

More people only means more pollution. We trash the oceans and waterways, the ozone layer. In the meantime species die that support other species, including homo sapiens at the top of the food chain. That's not just the gay guy in Coralville, that's you too. Developed nations are trying but too many countries on the planet are desperate to create jobs and feed their people. Crap they put into the water and into the air is not their first priority. Food production is high but it is sold at the best price to places where people can afford it. Not a lot of Snickers bars sold in Ethiopia.

The Black Death took out (estimated) one third of the population of Europe and probably did at least as well in Asia. If you love the green and blue planet earth, start praying for a plague.

With sensible policies the Earth could easily support double or triple the current number of humans in prosperous conditions.

Sensible policies seem out of our reach. So maybe half the current number.

I suggest we start by eliminating Republicans.

More people only means more pollution. We trash the oceans and waterways, the ozone layer. In the meantime species die that support other species, including homo sapiens at the top of the food chain. That's not just the gay guy in Coralville, that's you too. Developed nations are trying but too many countries on the planet are desperate to create jobs and feed their people. Crap they put into the water and into the air is not their first priority. Food production is high but it is sold at the best price to places where people can afford it. Not a lot of Snickers bars sold in Ethiopia.

The Black Death took out (estimated) one third of the population of Europe and probably did at least as well in Asia. If you love the green and blue planet earth, start praying for a plague.
None of that has to happen.

With sensible policies the Earth could easily support double or triple the current number of humans in prosperous conditions.

You are thinking from a North American or Western European point of view. You can't force sensible policies on second or third world countries, or any country for that matter. Those places don't look much like the US or Canada. At best they might look like Mexico's poor cousin. If you are the president, general, or supreme leader there you want to feed your people and give them jobs. You want to do that today so your government doesn't get voted out or overthrown tomorrow. The crap your jobs spew into the sky or water is something to worry about later. You have a big problem now.

Reactions: dandh
You are thinking from a North American or Western European point of view. You can't force sensible policies on second or third world countries, or any country for that matter. Those places don't look much like the US or Canada. At best they might look like Mexico's poor cousin. If you are the president, general, or supreme leader there you want to feed your people and give them jobs. You want to do that today so your government doesn't get voted out or overthrown tomorrow. The crap your jobs spew into the sky or water is something to worry about later. You have a big problem now.
Heck, WE do that. Republicans run for office on continuing to do it.

Yeah. We could be fine with sensible policies. But we seem congenitally incapable of agreeing on sensible policies.

Sorry excuse for a master race.

Heck, WE do that. Republicans run for office on continuing to do it.

Yeah. We could be fine with sensible policies. But we seem congenitally incapable of agreeing on sensible policies.

Sorry excuse for a master race.

I don't think you read my previous post.

Human beings are the masters, we are the smartest animal. Look where that's got us.

A devastating human plague may be a good idea for all the critters on the endangered species list. The animals that aren't as smart as us but want to live too.

Honestly, I think we've gotten ahead of ourselves but our own hubris should correct that with a kick in the pants from Mother Nature. If we are the authors of our own demise many other (surviving) animals will stand up and cheer- In their view Earth was doing just fine until people came along.

Back to my point, if you are the preident of Botswanastan .

Reactions: BrianNole09

Or Democrats....or both. I don't identify with either, so that should make for a much quieter place, if not more peaceful as well.

One can only imagine........:cool:

The cruddy apartment complex a few blocks from my house in the hood of Des Moines is covered with satellite dishes and people who seem to have no cars or jobs ... or purpose ... Yes, the world is overcrowded ...

The cruddy apartment complex a few blocks from my house in the hood of Des Moines is covered with satellite dishes and people who seem to have no cars or jobs ... or purpose ... Yes, the world is overcrowded ...
Gross. How close to your house?

It's interesting to me how the population has spiked enormously in the last 100 years. In spite of the Spanish Flu, 2 World Wars, genocides on grand scales, other diseases, legal abortion, and medical birth control for the first time in history! All of this, and the population has tripled, or quadrupled in spite of all that? Medicine must be keeping us all alive too long?

ADVERTISEMENT