ADVERTISEMENT

Is there a better old timey musician than Johnny Horton?

Maybe this stuff is never written about any longer because it is largely "White History," but there used to be lots of music or songs about characters out of history.

Johnny Horton was definitely a giant of the genre. I remember finding history classes much more interesting when I somehow had a stake created through popular music. Everything I know about John Paul Jones came from this song:

I have been waiting for an opportunity to post this one before it is banned permanently by the thought police:

It is "Old Timey" on oh-so-many levels.

Thanks for posting. That is fantastic! I've never heard that one. I wish I was smarter and could post songs because I would post "you fought all the way johnny reb". Its a great song that would never fly today.

Johnny Horton had any number of songs related to the civil war and to the Indian wars as well. I never thought he took sides other than with the individual soldiers. His song "Sink the Bismarck" inspired me to go out and to buy the book. ... and to see the movie.

I recently had a conversation with the son of a guy who was second or third in command of the "Arc Royale," an aircraft carrier that was engaged in the hunt, and that picked up survivors from the "Hood." He had been court marshalled for this, convicted and a bunch of years later pardoned.

... That entire conversation from my end was built around the movie, and the song. (We have to sink the Bismarck was the battle sound, but when the smoke had cleared away, the mighty "Hood" went down.)

Last edited:
More Horton history lessons:

I must have been quite a fan of Johnny Horton back in about junior high and high school I can remember all of the mentioned songs. "Jim Bridger" was one of my favorites, along with the two Alaska songs.

One of the key streets in downtown Las Vegas is named "Bridger;" It is one block over from "Carson." who is mentioned in the song.

Johnny Horton had any number of songs related to the civil war and to the Indian wars as well. I never thought he took sides other than with the individual soldiers. His song "Sink the Bismarck" inspired me to go out and to buy the book. ... and to see the movie.

I recently had a conversation with the son of a guy who was second or third in command of the "Arc Royale," an aircraft carrier that was engaged in the hunt, and that picked up survivors from the "Hood." He had been court marshalled for this, convicted and a bunch of years later pardoned.

... That entire conversation from my end was built around the movie, and the song. (We have to sink the Bismarck was the battle sound, but when the smoke had cleared away, the mighty "Hood" went down.)

1415 crewmen died when the Hood was sunk. There were 3 survivors. All that from one 15" shell hitting the magazine.

I think the fate of the Hood exposed the inferiority of battle cruisers.

If Old Timey is wrong, I have no interest in being right. It’s rare that I listen to anything recorded after 1965 unless it’s an old timey group of course.

Robots suck at music.

If you wanna hear classic country check out KWMT 540 AM out of Fort Dodge. They go all the way back to Jimmie Rogers and Bob Wills. Great stuff other than frequent ag reports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT