ADVERTISEMENT

Is there another team that can make it more than a 2 horse race? With Dean at PSU, where Wick, Griffith and Woods end up may answer this question.

MSU158

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2014
Here are the most likely lineups(so far, PSU could land one of those 3 and instantly make it very hard for Iowa to repeat:

Iowa--------------PSU
Lee----------------Howard
DeSanto---------RBY
Eierman----------Lee
Murin-------------Bartlett
Young-------------?
Marinelli----------Lee/Facundo
Kemerer----------Starocci
Brands/Assad---Brooks
Warner------------Dean/Beard
Cassioppi---------Kerkvliet

If Michigan lands Griffith they would probably be the only other team with a slight chance to scare either. tOSU would need Kharchla back fully healthy and on fire and Paddy Gallagher would have to hit the ground running a 4.3 40. I just don't see it. OkState just doesn't have the high end point scorers outside of Ferrari and Fix.

Edited to add: Real Woods would actually make even more of a difference to UofM than Griffith likely would.

Here is UofM's best case lineup: (with Woods and Griffith) HIGHLY UNLIKELY at 133 and 141!

Medley/Ragusin
Micic/Ragusin
Woods/Mattin
Storr
Lewan
Griffith/Amine
Massa/Griffith
Amine/Massa
Brucki
Parris

Last edited:
Based on recent events, I would say other horses are in the mix if they use banned substances.

MI seems like the next option, but I suspect it's a 2 horse race barring injuries.

Guessing PSU’s 157 will come from Matt Lee/Terrell Barraclough, but that likely won’t have a material impact on the answer you seek.

Guessing PSU’s 157 will come from Matt Lee/Terrell Barraclough, but that likely won’t have a material impact on the answer you seek.
If PSU can't find a better option than Lee @165...

I agree about Okie State. They can dominate the Big12, but not enough horses at the Big Show.

Not likely, but Cornell will be tough...assuming they wrestle. ASU and NC State will have solid teams.

I still don't see it being that close with those lineups. 3 of PSU's 4 finalists are opposed by Iowa guys who could be opposite them on Saturday night, and those 3 Iowa guys score a lot of bonus, so even if PSU wins all four, the gap in points won't be that big. 184 is the only weight PSU has a big points advantage.

I still don't see it being that close with those lineups. 3 of PSU's 4 finalists are opposed by Iowa guys who could be opposite them on Saturday night, and those 3 Iowa guys score a lot of bonus, so even if PSU wins all four, the gap in points won't be that big. 184 is the only weight PSU has a big points advantage.
Somewhat correct. the F*** staters caught lightening in a bottle this past year. We know that DeSantos was hurt, Bull was hurt, and I believe Eireman was recovering from covid.or something because his conditioning was not there. They can all win and I would also expect KemDawg to win!

That being said, you can bank on kirk being put on the chit!!! He will magically be 20-30 pound heavier. I will guess if all rumors are true, and Beard will be a 7-8 year guy. Max-imum head will also be on the chit to get to 197. Neither would be a problem if our 197 and heavy would do the work with the weights!!!!

they haven't yet, so i will not expect a change. The unlimited bank roll can also let them bring in some others to fill 157-165, guess we shall see.

Somewhat correct. the F*** staters caught lightening in a bottle this past year. We know that DeSantos was hurt, Bull was hurt, and I believe Eireman was recovering from covid.or something because his conditioning was not there. They can all win and I would also expect KemDawg to win!

That being said, you can bank on kirk being put on the chit!!! He will magically be 20-30 pound heavier. I will guess if all rumors are true, and Beard will be a 7-8 year guy. Max-imum head will also be on the chit to get to 197. Neither would be a problem if our 197 and heavy would do the work with the weights!!!!

they haven't yet, so i will not expect a change. The unlimited bank roll can also let them bring in some others to fill 157-165, guess we shall see.
Our heavyweight does lift hard. His problem is, he isn't athletic enough to beat Gable or Parris. Our 197 does not lift and it shows. Why is the strength coach not enforcing strenth training? And don't tell me they had to let go of the strength trainer because of budget cuts. I promise someone is filling that role. That is a criticism I would have of TnT.

Warner has immense talent. If he doesn't get the results he wants he will have to look himself in the mirror one day and know the reason why is staring back at him.

Our heavyweight does lift hard. His problem is, he isn't athletic enough to beat Gable or Parris. Our 197 does not lift and it shows. Why is the strength coach not enforcing strenth training? And don't tell me they had to let go of the strength trainer because of budget cuts. I promise someone is filling that role. That is a criticism I would have of TnT.

Warner has immense talent. If he doesn't get the results he wants he will have to look himself in the mirror one day and know the reason why is staring back at him.

I never thought that Warner was lacking in the strength department. Isn't the word on the street that he has some crazy, heavy hands? I also thought that Warner looked much, much more muscular this year(see below).

I can't recall a match that he lost that I thought, "geez if he would just be physically stronger, he would have beat that guy". Is there any match in particular that you feel he was physically weaker than his opponent and it cost him the match? Because none are coming to me. I mean, he took out Brucki and that dude is an Adonis...

It always seemed(to me from my living room couch) that his biggest roadblock was mental, not physical.

5279_h.jpg

USATSI_15749412_168393862_lowres-900x619.jpg

I never thought that Warner was lacking in the strength department. Isn't the word on the street that he has some crazy, heavy hands? I also thought that Warner looked much, much more muscular this year(see below).

I can't recall a match that he lost that I thought, "geez if he would just be physically stronger, he would have beat that guy". Is there any match in particular that you feel he was physically weaker than his opponent and it cost him the match? Because none are coming to me. I mean, he took out Brucki and that dude is an Adonis...

It always seemed(to me from my living room couch) that his biggest roadblock was mental, not physical.

5279_h.jpg

I tend to agree. He may not look as muscular or vascular as other guys but he doesn’t seem compromised by lack of strength. It’s not a bodybuilding contest. Appearances are deceiving and being bulked up comes at the cost of conditioning if not done right.

What you and others seemingly fail to realize is different people have different body types. Warner may not look jacked, but his legs are huge. He's just an all around big dude, has a big cut, and doesn't have any more room to put on any extra mass.

5279_h.jpg

This. You can tell when he wrestles guys that they have problems with his power. No idea if he lifts weights or not. But I highly doubt he doesn’t.

Reactions: Gusaford and jrod65

If it happens once it's lightning in a bottle. This is not the case however, look at the history of their wrestlers.
Winning in the finals is a pattern.

You all are wrong on Warner and Cass! IF, as someone stated, Cass is lifting? It is time to get a new program!!! Warner is NO WHERE NEAR, as big or as strong as some of the other 197!!!

For the clown new name rookie csoult. PLEASE do not start with your BS made up crap!!!! TRY to take a look at how F*** st went on the run they had!!! Take a good look at the recruits they brought in. If anything, they have UNDER PERFORMED!!!

They have had so many #1s, top 10s, world champion(in class, cadet etc...) that they should never get beat! Yet ohio st took em out 1 year and IOWA dominated them the last 2.

Just look at our line up, based on recruiting rankings, and the kittens. On paper it should not be close. Now add in the games that they play with gray shirts, medical shirts, walk years, etc.... and you have guys who are "freshman" that have been there 3 years!!!

What you and others seemingly fail to realize is different people have different body types. Warner may not look jacked, but his legs are huge. He's just an all around big dude, has a big cut, and doesn't have any more room to put on any extra mass.
You could be right about his frame/cut. But he walks around much lighter than you are assuming. I don't think he is slow at all, I actually think he's a good athlete. We may just have to agree to disagree on this. But I do know he walks around at a very manageable weight.

This. You can tell when he wrestles guys that they have problems with his power. No idea if he lifts weights or not. But I highly doubt he doesn’t.
He has a good build and good genetics. You can believe me or not but it is a rare thing to see Warner lifting weights.

Reactions: vhsalum
You could be right about his frame/cut. But he walks around much lighter than you are assuming. I don't think he is slow at all, I actually think he's a good athlete. We may just have to agree to disagree on this. But I do know he walks around at a very manageable weight.
I assume by manageable walk around weight you mean he manages to make 197 despite walking around considerably higher.

I assume by manageable walk around weight you mean he manages to make 197 despite walking around considerably higher.
Idk what your experience level is with highish level wrestling. I am in no way trying to be insulting. If a guy that wrestles at 197lbs walks around at about 210-215 in the off-season, that is usually considered a pretty easy weight cut to make 197. So maybe it's semantics, but I think he has room to get stronger. Just my opinion.

You all are wrong on Warner and Cass! IF, as someone stated, Cass is lifting? It is time to get a new program!!! Warner is NO WHERE NEAR, as big or as strong as some of the other 197!!!

For the clown new name rookie csoult. PLEASE do not start with your BS made up crap!!!! TRY to take a look at how F*** st went on the run they had!!! Take a good look at the recruits they brought in. If anything, they have UNDER PERFORMED!!!

They have had so many #1s, top 10s, world champion(in class, cadet etc...) that they should never get beat! Yet ohio st took em out 1 year and IOWA dominated them the last 2.

Just look at our line up, based on recruiting rankings, and the kittens. On paper it should not be close. Now add in the games that they play with gray shirts, medical shirts, walk years, etc.... and you have guys who are "freshman" that have been there 3 years!!!
Wow, you seem a little sensitive. I was only pointing out that they do well in the finals, or the tournament for that matter. I'm not sure how that can be debated when you look at the results. It seems that your hatred for them has blinded you.

Now if we were talking big 10's..... They have definitely under performed at big tens.

Never could understand hatred for another team. It's just a collection of one set of guys against a collection of another. I can understand you wanting your team to win, but hate is powerful.

The Clown

5279_h.jpg

Agree I've always thought his problem was a lack of quickness, athleticism.

I'm going to have to disagree with both that and the strength argument. He's shown plenty of quickness and explosiveness at various times. His biggest problem is being inconsistent, hesitant, insecure, whatever you want to call it.

OK I agree with the hesitant, insecure comment but I'll stand by my comments as well. Just my observation FWIW. Overall he's a very good wrestler and I'm glad he's a Hawk.

Here are the most likely lineups(so far, PSU could land one of those 3 and instantly make it very hard for Iowa to repeat:

Iowa--------------PSU
Lee----------------Howard
DeSanto---------RBY
Eierman----------Lee
Murin-------------Bartlett
Young-------------?
Marinelli----------Lee/Facundo
Kemerer----------Starocci
Brands/Assad---Brooks
Warner------------Dean/Beard
Cassioppi---------Kerkvliet

If Michigan lands Griffith they would probably be the only other team with a slight chance to scare either. tOSU would need Kharchla back fully healthy and on fire and Paddy Gallagher would have to hit the ground running a 4.3 40. I just don't see it. OkState just doesn't have the high end point scorers outside of Ferrari and Fix.

Edited to add: Real Woods would actually make even more of a difference to UofM than Griffith likely would.

Here is UofM's best case lineup: (with Woods and Griffith) HIGHLY UNLIKELY at 133 and 141!

Medley/Ragusin
Micic/Ragusin
Woods/Mattin
Storr
Lewan
Griffith/Amine
Massa/Griffith
Amine/Massa
Brucki
Parris

PSU 125 Howard is out next season, per Willie and Mineo. PSU may have to utilize incoming tFR Gary Steen to fill that hole.

I am optimistic that Warners solid run on the backside of the tournament will boost his self confidence to where it should be. Kid has gifts than he does not open.

If Howard is out, maybe Teasdale can fill the spot.

Unable... he is out "flying with eagles"

Reactions: rider57

5279_h.jpg

Yeah he’s not lifting at all. Does he even practice? Wtf

Still acting like a douche I see.

Jesus, how do you not pick up on that sarcasm you idiot? All my likes in that post are people that have his back. I was embarrassed by that thread. How do you attack a Iowa wrestlers on a Iowa wrestling. board?

Idk what your experience level is with highish level wrestling. I am in no way trying to be insulting. If a guy that wrestles at 197lbs walks around at about 210-215 in the off-season, that is usually considered a pretty easy weight cut to make 197. So maybe it's semantics, but I think he has room to get stronger. Just my opinion.

Your opinion? You are an idiot. Keep your mouth shut and people won’t know. You’re welcome, idiot.

OK I agree with the hesitant, insecure comment but I'll stand by my comments as well. Just my observation FWIW. Overall he's a very good wrestler and I'm glad he's a Hawk.
I’m no expert but seems like his biggest problem is from the neck up. Seems to lack the mental toughness at times that most champs tend to have. Jmho as I’ve never met the kid...just going by what I see on the mat. Also not saying the kid isn’t tough btw....I know he’s made comebacks in matches but sometimes he looks confident and wrestles as such and sometimes seems like he ‘breaks’ in matches and loses that confidence quickly. His performance on the backside last year was very nice to see. Hope it translates as somebody mentioned earlier. Bottom line...glad he’s a hawk and hope he figures it out. I think he can.

I know Young is family but maybe Iowa could talk dellavecchia into wrestling one more year lol. Or is their a 184 out there? Iowa’s 184 is family too tho damn lol. One Brands has to keep his daughter happy and the other Brands has to keep mom happy lol. Tough gig.

For some reason I was thinking someone said Dellaveccia was already a grad student at Rider would have had to stay there if he wanted wrestle more.

I would suspect we will improve more than you ( because of the difference in experience), but that you remain a solid favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT