ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any chance Kirk will retire?

HawkeyeGenius

HR Heisman
Nov 25, 2021
I think it's as good of a time as any because Iowa could have a legitimate chance with Mark Stoops or Bielema. If Kirk is allowed to run this into the ground for two more years then it may be a very lengthy rebuild.

I think we’d have to win only 0-1 more game in order for it to really hit him that there is no way to rebuild this thing during his tenure, and he’d call it quits.

If we manage to squeak out 2 more wins, he might think that just replacing the OL coach and his boy with different puppets will be enough to pacify the fan base and have a shot at a bounce-back year (he’d be wrong).

I see no way he coaches the 2024 season. NIL and transfer portal are hard enough for him to handle, he sure as heck isn’t going to handle the B1G eliminating divisions and playing conference games on the West Coast.

Reactions: CerroGordoHawk
If things don't get better....I see KF being open to a restructure of his buyout which will be called a retirement package. No way KF gets fired...which I truly feels he has earned that right to this point.

I truly feel the college game has turned into everything that kept him from returning to the NFL.

If things don't get better....I see KF being open to a restructure of his buyout which will be called a retirement package. No way KF gets fired...which I truly feels he has earned that right to this point.

I truly feel the college game has turned into everything that kept him from returning to the NFL.
The only way he is restructuring his contract is if Brian is able to stay in the OC position, that is not happening.

Stop just stop
Bielema is not coming to Iowa

if nothing else…there’s almost an unwritten in the b10 that schools don’t poach one another’s head coaches. I can’t think of a single time it’s happened in football or mens basketball, and only rarely in non-revenue sports.

Yes. I think with the trial, NIL and transfers and most importantly the outcray to replace Brian I'd say there's a chance.

Maybe I'd put it at 25%.
Sjsu Theres A Chance GIF by San Jose State Spartans

The only way he is restructuring his contract is if Brian is able to stay in the OC position, that is not happening.
That’s bulls#it. As much of an arrogant prick as I feel KF has become, he is not going to hold the program hostage for $40+ million or use that as leverage to keep his kid on the coaching staff. Talk about destroying 20+ years of overall good relations; he’d be chased out of IC and never allowed to return.

if nothing else…there’s almost an unwritten in the b10 that schools don’t poach one another’s head coaches. I can’t think of a single time it’s happened in football or mens basketball, and only rarely in non-revenue sports.
There is always a first time. Former Hawkeye. Just make the call. However,I could see Bert staying at Illiwini. He has an opportunity to put that program on the map. He could be their Hayden Fry.

Need to go after Mark Stoops if this somehow happens. At minimum BF needs to be reassigned and new OC from outside the program needed. I'd prefer BF was let go but I'd be surprised if that happened.

There is always a first time. Former Hawkeye. Just make the call. However,I could see Bert staying at Illiwini. He has an opportunity to put that program on the map. He could be their Hayden Fry.
Bielema is not coming to Iowa for the very reason you stated:

He can have a statue built of him if he keeps building the Illini program the way he’s started. Plus he’s indebted to the Illini AD for giving him the chance.

Also, to this day Brett hears people say what he achieved at a Wisconsin off the back of Barry. He knows if he came to Iowa it would be said off the back of KF. He doesn’t want that.

As much as Hayden Fry is revered, I wonder how badly he would have been roasted if this message board was around at the end of his tenure? I think many people forget how low the program sank. I was at a game in Evanston in the first year or so of the Ferentz era. The two teams looked like high school programs. Small and slow. I would hope Ferentz doesn't let that happen to his team.

Need to go after Mark Stoops if this somehow happens. At minimum BF needs to be reassigned and new OC from outside the program needed. I'd prefer BF was let go but I'd be surprised if that happened.
I’m quite sure the window on Mark Stoops has also closed. He’s headed to legend status in Lexington- some feel he’s already there.

The year 2022 is the year that KF came to the realization that his money, power, the fan's patience, and nepotism has limits. He's in a fight he can't win. His age is the least factor as far as time not being on his side. For the well-being of his legacy, family, and particularly, Brian, he has to minimize his losses. If Iowa wins less than six games this year and next year is a repeat, I would say he's agreeable to a deal to be gone by January 2024. The scrutiny, pressure, ridicule, resentment is only going to get more intense. He can go out with some dignity, or, go out as a greedy old man who put family finances above Iowa Football. Any talk of a Ferentz statue will be mute.

The year 2022 is the year that KF came to the realization that his money, power, the fan's patience, and nepotism has limits. He's in a fight he can't win. His age is the least factor as far as time not being on his side. For the well-being of his legacy, family, and particularly, Brian, he has to minimize his losses. If Iowa wins less than six games this year and next year is a repeat, I would say he's agreeable to a deal to be gone by January 2024. The scrutiny, pressure, ridicule, resentment is only going to get more intense. He can go out with some dignity, or, go out as a greedy old man who put family finances above Iowa Football. Any talk of a Ferentz statue will be mute.
Losing season both this year and next means Kirk is not the HC in 2024- by mutual agreement. And around the same time it will be announced Barta will leave at the end of his current contract- which expires in June, 2024. And his replacement will be Beth Goetz, current Deputy AD. You heard it here first.

I agree but have to go all in to try. Better shot at him than Bielema otherwise I'm intrigued with Levar Woods
Agree on Mark and Brett.

Seriously, you want LeVar as your next HC here when the only HC he’s ever worked for is KF? My answer: NO

Woods will be retained by the next HC.

Reactions: pondscum
We'd have to pay him $10 - $12 million a year. He's going to be making $8 million a year at Kentucky under his current contract.

We'd have to pay him $10 - $12 million a year. He's going to be making $8 million a year at Kentucky under his current contract.
And the BIG schools are about to double or triple their annual revenue sharing funds received so the $$$ is there

Barnes by all indications though is doing a very good job.
What indications are those? I'm just curious as I'm not exactly sure what he does or how you measure the results. With the title of Director of Recruiting I would assume that talent on the field would be a primary measure of success? I know that that role at other major programs is considered critical to bringing in the right talent to support the coaches' objectives. I kind of see it as a mixed bag right now. Defensive talent looks as good as it ever did. I'm struggling to see a lot of offensive talent on the field today although it could be a coaching/development issue or a combination of both that are lacking.

Why do you believe Kirk has earned a right to not get fired?

That’s bulls#it. As much of an arrogant prick as I feel KF has become, he is not going to hold the program hostage for $40+ million or use that as leverage to keep his kid on the coaching staff. Talk about destroying 20+ years of overall good relations; he’d be chased out of IC and never allowed to return.
You need to settle your ass down, there is zero reason he would restructure that contract, it isn't like he needs additional years. It is common sense.

Losing season both this year and next means Kirk is not the HC in 2024- by mutual agreement. And around the same time it will be announced Barta will leave at the end of his current contract- which expires in June, 2024. And his replacement will be Beth Goetz, current Deputy AD. You heard it here first.
I like that scenario. And although I’m not on board for LW being the next head coach, I would be ok with him taking over in ‘24 with an interim tag until the new AD either decides to keep him or bring in his/her guy in ‘25.

And the BIG schools are about to double or triple their annual revenue sharing funds received so the $$$ is there
I completely understand, but is Mark Stoops worth $12 million a year plus incentives is the real question. It will probably be the going price if you want to compete though.

I like that scenario. And although I’m not on board for LW being the next head coach, I would be ok with him taking over in ‘24 with an interim tag until the new AD either decides to keep him or bring in his/her guy in ‘25.
Nothing against LeVar but that would be one major underwhelming HC hire if he was hired as HC.

I never predicted he’d be the next HC. I have no idea who it might be.

Reactions: wxhawk
ADVERTISEMENT