ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any chance Kirk will retire?

You need to settle your ass down, there is zero reason he would restructure that contract, it isn't like he needs additional years. It is common sense.
I don’t need to settle down. You need to stop making dumbass comments for me to call you out on.

However,I could see Bert staying at Illiwini. He has an opportunity to put that program on the map. He could be their Hayden Fry.
With all due respect, Bert is no Hayden Fry . . . in any way, shape, or form . . . whether he wins a Big Ten title in his third year or has Illinois No. 1 in the nation by his sixth year. And it ain't even close, IMHO.

Why do you believe Kirk has earned a right to not get fired?
He doesn't deserve the right to not ever get fired. He does however deserve the right to go out on his own terms, per se. Of course he can't run the program into the ground, but he built the program up from a dumpster fire after Fry left and it has been one of the most consistent winners in the country. They did win 10 games just last year. I think every coach should have the backing of the administration to have a bad year. Call it loyalty for a job well done in this case. If it becomes a trend, that is when he needs to recognize that and step aside. Recruiting will tell you that.

Nothing against LeVar but that would be one major underwhelming HC hire if he was hired as HC.

I never predicted he’d be the next HC. I have no idea who it might be.
So was KF when he was hired and it turned out pretty good in general. Just saying...Scott Frost was a slam dunk 5 years ago.

Reactions: SI_NYC
And the BIG schools are about to double or triple their annual revenue sharing funds received so the $$$ is there
KF and his agent always had perfect timing to work up a deal for an extension and raise. Not this time. If Ferentz had been smart, he might have waited a year or two. BF is going to lose tens of millions too. If he was a future head coach at Iowa, he could have grabbed some of those extra $millions coming in. A missed opportunity of the Ferentz's own making. Just as they might be exiting Iowa football, the Iowa coffers will be overflowing from the record TV deal.

So was KF when he was hired and it turned out pretty good in general. Just saying...Scott Frost was a slam dunk 5 years ago.
Kirk had worked under legend coaches and had been a HC before. Big difference

Nothing against LeVar but that would be one major underwhelming HC hire if he was hired as HC.

I never predicted he’d be the next HC. I have no idea who it might be.
My point was that I don’t want beta cuck Barta involved in choosing the next head coach, and in your scenario (KF and GB leaving at the same time) we’d probably need an interim for a year, which usually comes from in-house. Doubt PP would be interested, so LW would be the obvious choice.

With all due respect, Bert is no Hayden Fry . . . in any way, shape, or form . . . whether he wins a Big Ten title in his third year or has Illinois No. 1 in the nation by his sixth year. And it ain't even close, IMHO.
He isn't now. But what if he stays there for 10 years or longer and has them in bowls every year and can win a couple or BIGs. Not saying that will happen. But come on man. If he achieved that after where that program has been. They will build a statue of him and rename the stadium after him. A better comparison would be Alvarez.

I don't understand the love for Mark Stoops. His record at Kentucky is 2-10. 5-7, 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 10-3, 8-5, 5-6 10-3, 5-2.
Kentucky's FB program was as bad as KSU prior to Snyder getting there. Not great records but he's playing in the frickin SEC,not the Big 12. He would modernize our offense and being a form d player. Understand the importance of that side of the ball. I would love to have him.

Agree on Mark and Brett.

Seriously, you want LeVar as your next HC here when the only HC he’s ever worked for is KF? My answer: NO

Woods will be retained by the next HC.
I agree,Woods needs to cut his teeth as a coordinator first before being handed HC. He should seek opportunities elsewhere and coach under someone else.

Reactions: frydaze
What indications are those? I'm just curious as I'm not exactly sure what he does or how you measure the results. With the title of Director of Recruiting I would assume that talent on the field would be a primary measure of success? I know that that role at other major programs is considered critical to bringing in the right talent to support the coaches' objectives. I kind of see it as a mixed bag right now. Defensive talent looks as good as it ever did. I'm struggling to see a lot of offensive talent on the field today although it could be a coaching/development issue or a combination of both that are lacking.

Our 3 previous recruiting classes were pretty good, and we’re sitting pretty for this class currently. That’s due in no small part to Tyler.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
I agree,Woods needs to cut his teeth as a coordinator first before being handed HC. He should seek opportunities elsewhere and coach under someone else.
As much as being a DC or OC would help, just simply working in another program with a different HC is vital. Having worked only for Kirk is a negative as he needs a wider scope of coaches to learn from. Hell, how can he ever be expected to develop any sort of offensive sense under just Kirk?

I think we’d have to win only 0-1 more game in order for it to really hit him that there is no way to rebuild this thing during his tenure, and he’d call it quits.

If we manage to squeak out 2 more wins, he might think that just replacing the OL coach and his boy with different puppets will be enough to pacify the fan base and have a shot at a bounce-back year (he’d be wrong).

I see no way he coaches the 2024 season. NIL and transfer portal are hard enough for him to handle, he sure as heck isn’t going to handle the B1G eliminating divisions and playing conference games on the West Coast.
Who on staff is a puppet. Lots of good men on this staff…….
Can we stop all the negativity and let this play out,,,,none of us like where we are at right now.

Reactions: EasyHawk
Our 3 previous recruiting classes were pretty good, and we’re sitting pretty for this class currently. That’s due in no small part to Tyler.
So this is actually an interesting discussion from a number of perspectives. There are a lot of people on here who feel that neither Tyler or Brian have a significant hand in bringing in talent and point to a lack of talent as the reason why Brian should get a pass since a play caller is only as good as the talent that he has to work with.

From a recruiting rankings perspective there is little doubt that the recruiting rankings for Iowa have improved over the past several years. That improved talent appears obvious on the defensive side of the ball where results and depth have looked as good as ever. That performance and depth is not nearly as apparent on the offensive side of the ball. Whether that's a result of recruiting misses or failure to develop that talent is anybody’s guess. It is apparent that from a QB and WR perspective that the Iowa commits over the last 5 years or so did not garner a lot of attention from other P5 schools regardless of stars. Neither May nor Labas had a P5 offer except for Iowa and there were few if any top 50 WR's that committed over the last several years.

Keegan who is probably the top rated wide receiver/athlete over the last 5 years, was rated the number 49 WR on Rivals. He was the number 23 athlete on 247 and his national ranking would have placed him below 58 other wide receivers. The only WR commit in 2022 was Bostick at 89 and in 2023 Mota, the sole WR commit is the number 36 athlete and his national rank would equate to the 67th ranked WR. There is little doubt that changes are needed with offensive recruiting.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Who on staff is a puppet. Lots of good men on this staff…….
Can we stop all the negativity and let this play out,,,,none of us like where we are at right now.
You are right, this will all play out one way or another. But let's also face a reality that 5 of his assistant coaches formerly played for him and in at least a couple of those hires they were nowhere close to being the best person available for the job.

Agree on Mark and Brett.

Seriously, you want LeVar as your next HC here when the only HC he’s ever worked for is KF? My answer: NO

Woods will be retained by the next HC.
LeVar has been innovative even with only working for Kirk. That's hard to do. If LeVar wants the gig, I would certainly support it.

• Haha
So this is actually an interesting discussion from a number of perspectives. There are a lot of people on here who feel that neither Tyler or Brian have a significant hand in bringing in talent and point to a lack of talent as the reason why Brian should get a pass since a play caller is only as good as the talent that he has to work with.

From a recruiting rankings perspective there is little doubt that the recruiting rankings for Iowa have improved over the past several years. That improved talent appears obvious on the defensive side of the ball where results and depth have looked as good as ever. That performance and depth is not nearly as apparent on the offensive side of the ball. Whether that's a result of recruiting misses or failure to develop that talent is anybody’s guess. It is apparent that from a QB and WR perspective that the Iowa commits over the last 5 years or so did not garner a lot of attention from other P5 schools regardless of stars. Neither May nor Labas had a P5 offer except for Iowa and there were few if any top 50 WR's that committed over the last several years.

Keegan who is probably the top rated wide receiver/athlete over the last 5 years, was rated the number 49 WR on Rivals. He was the number 23 athlete on 247 and his national ranking would have placed him below 58 other wide receivers. The only WR commit in 2022 was Bostick at 89 and in 2023 Mota, the sole WR commit is the number 36 athlete and his national rank would equate to the 67th ranked WR. There is little doubt that changes are needed with offensive recruiting.
While I don't necessarily disagree with what you said, my perspective is that Tyler's job is to help close the deal on talent that is identified by the coaching staff and not doing the talent evaluation himself. So, wouldn't that mean that "recruiting misses" would be more on the staff and their ability to identify the right talent than an indictment on Tyler's performance?

While I don't necessarily disagree with what you said, my perspective is that Tyler's job is to help close the deal on talent that is identified by the coaching staff and not doing the talent evaluation himself. So, wouldn't that mean that "recruiting misses" would be more on the staff and their ability to identify the right talent than an indictment on Tyler's performance?
I don't know that I stated any opinions. I just stated the facts that are out there for anyone to see. I don't know whether the offensive woes are more talent or development related. Logic would tell you it's a function of both. With respect to Tyler, I don't really know exactly what he does but when I hear people saying "he's doing a good job" I have to question what they base that opinion on. If there is a lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball, and in my opinion there is, the responsible parties need to be held accountable. All too often I hear it's not the people responsible for recruiting or running the offense. That can't be accurate.

We certainly need to change how we recruit receivers especially, tho that will be tough until we overhaul the offense and make it more receiver-friendly. Running backs I’m mostly fine with, quarterbacks it does seem as tho they’ve been gradually evolving the recruiting approach there as well - but again, kinda stuck until the scheme evolves.

Agreed. Tyler is responsible for things like scheduling visits, reaching out to recruits and such. It’s on the coaches to sell them.

Reactions: FranklinHawk
We certainly need to change how we recruit receivers especially, tho that will be tough until we overhaul the offense and make it more receiver-friendly. Running backs I’m mostly fine with, quarterbacks it does seem as tho they’ve been gradually evolving the recruiting approach there as well - but again, kinda stuck until the scheme evolves.

Agreed. Tyler is responsible for things like scheduling visits, reaching out to recruits and such. It’s on the coaches to sell them.
You said you agreed and then contradicted him. Franklin said the coaches evaluate and then Tyler sells them. You're saying that Tyler is basically just a facilitator and it's the coaches that have to sell them. You both confirmed that no one knows exactly what he does.

You said you agreed and then contradicted him. Franklin said the coaches evaluate and then Tyler sells them. You're saying that Tyler is basically just a facilitator and it's the coaches that have to sell them. You both confirmed that no one knows exactly what he does.
I think the biggest thing I'm saying is Tyler wouldn't be responsible for evaluating and identifying whom they want to go after. I'm sure the "sell" is both on the coaches and Tyler staying in consistent touch with recruits. I base my opinion (yep, that's all it is) on the fact that the past few years we've reeled in more of our 1st/2nd choice recruits and fewer of those last minute lower ranked or unranked recruits we used to consistently flip from the MAC type schools.

I think the biggest thing I'm saying is Tyler wouldn't be responsible for evaluating and identifying whom they want to go after. I'm sure the "sell" is both on the coaches and Tyler staying in consistent touch with recruits. I base my opinion (yep, that's all it is) on the fact that the past few years we've reeled in more of our 1st/2nd choice recruits and fewer of those last minute lower ranked or unranked recruits we used to consistently flip from the MAC type schools.
Yes. Sorry if this sounds contradictory, but there’s a lot of back and forth around this. My understanding is that to some extent, Tyler or other coaches will at times be contacted by a HS coach and asked to check out this kid. other times they do it themselves - coaches I believe are assigned areas to go to evaluate talent, tell Tyler they think they have a kid worth checking out, Tyler contacts them and that’s essentially the start of the process. Coaches from there do a lot of the communicating, Tyler does a lot of the groundwork for setting up visits, camps, etc.

I think this is reasonable. It makes sense that it would be a group effort between the person responsible for recruiting and the staff. I think the success or failure of talent acquisition is a shared responsibility between Tyler and the rest of the staff. It appears to be working on the defensive side but it appears to be lacking with respect to offense, particularly at the QB and WR positions. We also haven't been able to land the top tight ends over the last several years which is surprising given the amazing recent track record at Iowa for putting TE's in the pros.

As much as being a DC or OC would help, just simply working in another program with a different HC is vital. Having worked only for Kirk is a negative as he needs a wider scope of coaches to learn from. Hell, how can he ever be expected to develop any sort of offensive sense under just Kirk?
You make it too hard. LeVar is innovative and I assume would hire an innovative OC. Being an OC is not rocket science as much as Brian tries to make it out to be. If you understand misdirection, tendencies and numbers, you can be a successful OC. I'd argue LeVar knows what not to do from coaching under Kirk.

You make it too hard. LeVar is innovative and I assume would hire an innovative OC. Being an OC is not rocket science as much as Brian tries to make it out to be. If you understand misdirection, tendencies and numbers, you can be a successful OC. I'd argue LeVar knows what not to do from coaching under Kirk.
If LeVar has only worked at Iowa, where are his connections to hire an innovative OC? Every coach he knows has come through Iowa. Sure he could cold call OC's, but typically that's not how coaching hires work, head coaches want guys, that they have already relationship.
As far as running spread, one of the problems Iowa faces is that their lineman are not the most mobile/athletic, when the offense spreads out the field, that exposes lineman to having to cover more space and speed. If the game is played in tighter spaces, that lack of athleticism is hidden. Making that personnel change could take some time.

As much as Hayden Fry is revered, I wonder how badly he would have been roasted if this message board was around at the end of his tenure? I think many people forget how low the program sank. I was at a game in Evanston in the first year or so of the Ferentz era. The two teams looked like high school programs. Small and slow. I would hope Ferentz doesn't let that happen to his team.
Without question, he'd have been roasted as well.......

Kirk had worked under legend coaches and had been a HC before. Big difference
Yeah, those three seasons of HC at Maine (12-21) in the early 90's must have provided a world of experience regarding big time football in today's atmosphere. Maybe that's the problem.

I might give a shot to LeVar, especially on an interim basis. It appears as though he can coach given the results we've seen from the special teams and it appears as if his players hold him in very high regard.

Last edited:
That $900,000 salary is just INSANE based on the results. It's bordering on criminal
Sort of like us also paying O’Keefe $700,000 a year for multiple years to be QB coach… WTF? BF and KOK can thank KF for lining their pockets rather nicely for … minimal to zero results… Kirk can go one of two directions:

1. Stay stubborn and mirror his snarkiness from a few years ago and f&@@ the fans and any one who questions him … and continue to bring up his teamsfrom 2002, 2010, or whenever … in his effort to defend himself or convince us HE knows because xyz worked in the past … OR

2. Reassign Brian (or push him along) … bring in a new OC and either BF coaches the line or bring in someone new … Let the new OC “coach” and hit the transfer portal hard for OLinemen, a QB, and WR… No question we are going to lose guys to the portal … I bet we see at a minimum of 5 starters or guys who play…. Be gone …

Or maybe a third option… Kirk realizes there is not a Kirk 4.0 in him and he steps aside to let new blood come in … before we see what happened at the end of the Fry era.

Option 1 = the worst choice he can make.

Please explain to me what the rationale would be for Kirk to restructure his contract.
JFC. A new buyout will be negotiated when KF decides to hang it up. He's not going to stay until he's forced out the door and demands the entire buyout as-is, and he sure the f^ isn't going to hang the current contract in the face of the athletic department and demand his kid have a job or he's taking it all. If he does he'll be exiled. I thought that was pretty clear from my original response. People are making way too big of a deal of the buyout $. It's all for show.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Kirk isn’t retiring unless they can find a suitable gig for Brian somewhere else. And I think the odds of that are next to zero with the pending lawsuit and everyone seeing the backlash from Doyle/Jax situation. Slightly better odds of him being demoted to OL coach. But I fully expect them to bunker at Fort Ferentz and make no changes.

JFC. A new buyout will be negotiated when KF decides to hang it up. He's not going to stay until he's forced out the door and demands the entire buyout as-is, and he sure the f^ isn't going to hang the current contract in the face of the athletic department and demand his kid have a job or he's taking it all. If he does he'll be exiled. I thought that was pretty clear from my original response. People are making way too big of a deal of the buyout $. It's all for show.
Forced out the door at 42 million. This makes beyond zero sense, he will not be negotiating a contract buyout because unlike Chryst he is not searching for another position. This is an apples to oranges scenario.

• Haha
Forced out the door at 42 million. This makes beyond zero sense, he will not be negotiating a contract buyout because unlike Chryst he is not searching for another position. This is an apples to oranges scenario.
Tell ya what, when KF is no longer Iowa's head football coach:

If he works the entire current contract through 2029, is given the entire contract buyout as is if he leaves earlier, or a severance package is negotiated that involves BF having a job, I don't post on this board for a year.

If KF leaves before 2029 and a lesser retirement/severance package is negotiated than what the current contract states, you don't post on this board for a year.

Deal?

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT