ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any chance Kirk will retire?

If LeVar has only worked at Iowa, where are his connections to hire an innovative OC? Every coach he knows has come through Iowa. Sure he could cold call OC's, but typically that's not how coaching hires work, head coaches want guys, that they have already relationship.
As far as running spread, one of the problems Iowa faces is that their lineman are not the most mobile/athletic, when the offense spreads out the field, that exposes lineman to having to cover more space and speed. If the game is played in tighter spaces, that lack of athleticism is hidden. Making that personnel change could take some time.
I'd guess LeVar and all the coaches know a lot more coaches than the ones that have just coached at Iowa. They routinely go to coaching clinics not to mention go to other schools to learn how those schools do things. I'd also guess LeVar made quite a few friends in the NFL both players that are now coaches and his coaches at the three different NFL teams he was on. When Kirk was hired, he didn't know either Parkers before hiring them. They were arguably his best hires.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
So this is actually an interesting discussion from a number of perspectives. There are a lot of people on here who feel that neither Tyler or Brian have a significant hand in bringing in talent and point to a lack of talent as the reason why Brian should get a pass since a play caller is only as good as the talent that he has to work with.

From a recruiting rankings perspective there is little doubt that the recruiting rankings for Iowa have improved over the past several years. That improved talent appears obvious on the defensive side of the ball where results and depth have looked as good as ever. That performance and depth is not nearly as apparent on the offensive side of the ball. Whether that's a result of recruiting misses or failure to develop that talent is anybody’s guess. It is apparent that from a QB and WR perspective that the Iowa commits over the last 5 years or so did not garner a lot of attention from other P5 schools regardless of stars. Neither May nor Labas had a P5 offer except for Iowa and there were few if any top 50 WR's that committed over the last several years.

Keegan who is probably the top rated wide receiver/athlete over the last 5 years, was rated the number 49 WR on Rivals. He was the number 23 athlete on 247 and his national ranking would have placed him below 58 other wide receivers. The only WR commit in 2022 was Bostick at 89 and in 2023 Mota, the sole WR commit is the number 36 athlete and his national rank would equate to the 67th ranked WR. There is little doubt that changes are needed with offensive recruiting.
What is really perplexing is how soft and weak our offense looks. Are they in the same strength and conditioning program as our defense. What the hell is going on on that side of the ball??? Gavin Williams doesn't look the same. The oline just gets beat and pushed around.

What is really perplexing is how soft and weak our offense looks. Are they in the same strength and conditioning program as our defense. What the hell is going on on that side of the ball??? Gavin Williams doesn't look the same. The oline just gets beat and pushed around.
I don't know that they're weak. I just think they're really poorly coached. With the oline and tight ends I don't see them getting physically beat as much as losing before they even get engaged. The oline simply doesn't know who they are supposed to block too often and when they do they often whiff on their assignments. It's really unbelievable that this has now been going on for almost 2 years with no apparent improvement.

I don't know that they're weak. I just think they're really poorly coached. With the oline and tight ends I don't see them getting physically beat as much as losing before they even get engaged. The oline simply doesn't know who they are supposed to block too often and when they do they often whiff on their assignments. It's really unbelievable that this has now been going on for almost 2 years with no apparent improvement.
Things really nose dived with the new oline coach.

I still think a lot of this comes back to the center. We struggled last year, but not this bad, and we we're REALLY young last year on the OL. I expected to see marked improvement from Richman, and Colby anyway, and that hasn't happened. I think its more what you said, they aren't working as a unit. And as we've discussed the snap and when everybody starts are still not in sync, and thats enough to throw the whole thing off right there.....

Better chance Bob Stoops comes to Iowa out of retirement than Mark coming here.
And I’ll buy that, bigly. I’m betting if Kirk is gone in the next two years, Bob is the guy, gets the gang together, recruits in a level iowa has never seen, and we become a CFP contender at least 3 out of the 6 to 7 years he’s here

And I’ll buy that, bigly. I’m betting if Kirk is gone in the next two years, Bob is the guy, gets the gang together, recruits in a level iowa has never seen, and we become a CFP contender at least 3 out of the 6 to 7 years he’s here
That would be a very tall order for even Bob.

I still think a lot of this comes back to the center. We struggled last year, but not this bad, and we we're REALLY young last year on the OL. I expected to see marked improvement from Richman, and Colby anyway, and that hasn't happened. I think its more what you said, they aren't working as a unit. And as we've discussed the snap and when everybody starts are still not in sync, and thats enough to throw the whole thing off right there.....
The oline sans TL was equally abysmal last year. These guys all look about the same with the exception of Colby who looks worse because he's not a tackle.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Oklahoma was worse when he took over, not by a lot, but worse. We aren’t Oklahoma, but Bob brings swag
It's a nice dream, one I'd definitely sign up for.
I just don't see it happening at his age and with the accomplishments he's already achieved.
Even though I truly believe that the love he shows for Iowa Football is real it's not enough to want to take on this kind of challenge at this stage in his life.

Oklahoma was worse when he took over, not by a lot, but worse. We aren’t Oklahoma, but Bob brings swag
Trust me, there's no bigger Bob Stoops out there than me and I would happily love seeing him come out of retirement and coaching his alma mater for 5 years.

Damn right Bob would bring a swagger to the program-- something needed here.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
@ClarindaA's

Interested to get your thoughts on the first 15 or so minutes on this podcast today by Leistikow and Kennington Smith of the Register. Interesting stuff:

Tell ya what, when KF is no longer Iowa's head football coach:

If he works the entire current contract through 2029, is given the entire contract buyout as is if he leaves earlier, or a severance package is negotiated that involves BF having a job, I don't post on this board for a year.

If KF leaves before 2029 and a lesser retirement/severance package is negotiated than what the current contract states, you don't post on this board for a year.

Deal?
I’ll tell ya what, I’ll put 100 bucks towards the childrens hospital if Kirk steps down this year or next year and renegotiates his contract, and this is all with Brian being let go. Put your money where your mouth is.

@ClarindaA's

Interested to get your thoughts on the first 15 or so minutes on this podcast today by Leistikow and Kennington Smith of the Register. Interesting stuff:

I feel like Kirk is a wounded animal, lashing out. Look, Kirk is a decent guy and has had great runs. His problem is that he can’t adapt to the new style of play, recruiting, portal, NIL. I think this is the beginning of him seeing the writing on the wall. All that’s left is to see how he wants to write the ending. Right now, he’s coming off terrible. Most Iowa fans are ready for him to be gone or are indifferent

Reactions: kceasthawk
I feel like Kirk is a wounded animal, lashing out. Look, Kirk is a decent guy and has had great runs. His problem is that he can’t adapt to the new style of play, recruiting, portal, NIL. I think this is the beginning of him seeing the writing on the wall. All that’s left is to see how he wants to write the ending. Right now, he’s coming off terrible. Most Iowa fans are ready for him to be gone or are indifferent
I thought these two guys really put things in perspective on where things stand right now.

This is my biggest thing.

How we went from being renowned nationally as a team with a great offensive line, to this thoroughly broken unit we've had in recent years, just boggles my mind.

I’ll tell ya what, I’ll put 100 bucks towards the childrens hospital if Kirk steps down this year or next year and renegotiates his contract, and this is all with Brian being let go. Put your money where your mouth is.
I give a lot more than that to the hospital already, but I'm sure the hospital will enjoy your little check. I just want you and your dimwitted ideas off this board.

So, you taking my deal or are you all talk?

I give a lot more than that to the hospital already, but I'm sure the hospital will enjoy your little check. I just want you and your dimwitted ideas off this board.

So, you taking my deal or are you all talk?
I literally just pointed to the terms because I'm not waiting 7 years.

I don’t think there is a snowballs chance on the sun that Bob would come on board to right the ship if Kirk were to leave….BUT sign me up if it happens, gosh that would be fun.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
I don’t think there is a snowballs chance on the sun that Bob would come on board to right the ship if Kirk were to leave….BUT sign me up if it happens, gosh that would be fun.
The only remote chance that Bob would entertain doing that is if Kirk gave him his blessing. Bob is a very loyal person and deeply values his strong friendships-- and he has a strong one with Ferentz. He wouldn't feel good about succeeding KF under any circumstance without his blessing/encouragement first; whether or not you think that's right or wrong.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
The only remote chance that Bob would entertain doing that is if Kirk gave him his blessing. Bob is a very loyal person and deeply values his strong friendships-- and he has a strong one with Ferentz. He wouldn't feel good about succeeding KF under any circumstance without his blessing/encouragement first; whether or not you think that's right or wrong.
Yeah, and I’m not sure he would WITH his blessing. He hasn’t exactly been trying to get back into the college game.

But I stand by my statement that I’d love to see it.

Reactions: frydaze
Yeah, and I’m not sure he would WITH his blessing. He hasn’t exactly been trying to get back into the college game.

Totally agree. But I would say this: I think if ever a remote chance Bob would entertain getting back into college coaching, it would be at Iowa and only Iowa.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
I feel like college football is now much more like pro football, which he decided he wasn't interested in returning to. Now it has many of the same elements with NIL and transfer portal, guys not wanting to develop for a year or two but play immediately, etc. I won't be shocked if he decides it is time to go after this season or next.

KF has always made recruiting difficult. After 2002 He acted like he didn't want to be out on the recruiting trail. Then came the rambo thing. Then the racism thing. I am sure there are more, but it seems like everytime that KF could be on a roll with recruiting something always happens to slow the roll

As much as Hayden Fry is revered, I wonder how badly he would have been roasted if this message board was around at the end of his tenure? I think many people forget how low the program sank. I was at a game in Evanston in the first year or so of the Ferentz era. The two teams looked like high school programs. Small and slow. I would hope Ferentz doesn't let that happen to his team.
I'll give Hayden at least a partial pass as he was dealing with cancer and declining health. The signs were there when assistant coaches started to bail. Rats jumping from a sinking ship. Can't keep a health diagnosis private very long in such a public and demanding job.

I went to the 1997 Sun Bowl. Everything seemed a little off with the program. Too many close loses amid high expectations. Team didn't play well in the bowl game. So many key seniors leaving. End of an era. I remember looking at the remaining roster and thinking they were going to be in a serious rebuild in 1998. Didn't know the real story.

KF has always made recruiting difficult. After 2002 He acted like he didn't want to be out on the recruiting trail. Then came the rambo thing. Then the racism thing. I am sure there are more, but it seems like everytime that KF could be on a roll with recruiting something always happens to slow the roll
At his core, KF is an introvert, maybe even a loner. Certainly not gregarious to be a closer during recruiting. I always thought recruiting would be his biggest challenge at Iowa. Yep.

The College football game and landscape is changing too much and too rapidly for him to adopt quick enough, even if he's willing to.

Be careful what we wish for.

Nobody claimed he was. There is no guarantee even if you hire a 34-year old HC.
This. I see Bob as the best possible hire. Give the DC position to Levar under Stoops, when Bob and Levar are ready, give HC to LeVar

He’s a great bridge, with upward trajectory, seven good years puts Iowa in a better position in then new and improved BiG ten. Recruiting another HC and talented players would be easier.
Nick Saban is 70 and does not seem anywhere near retirement. Bob Stoops is 62 and if he has the desire, there would be plenty of years with him.

That is because he is patiently waiting for the Iowa job to open up.

That is because he is patiently waiting for the Iowa job to open up.
Bob Stoops would never openly campaign for this job. I'm sure he has far too much respect for Ferentz to do something like that. Just him being quiet and respectful is enough for me to think he has an interest.

You won't have to.

What do you plan on doing with your time when you can't post here for a year?
I told you I'd put up 100 dollars based on the stipulations I placed forward, you have been here since September and will return to this board under another moniker, so I'd rather see money go towards something worth while.

ADVERTISEMENT