ADVERTISEMENT

Is there anything more disrespectful than constantly late people?

Gotta love when you're hungry and everybody is waiting for the last part of the family or group to show up, and when they do, they go to the food first.

• Angry
Reactions: red/green hawk
I’m very much a 5 minutes early is late person, so I get easily agitated with late people. My problem is, I’m surrounded by them. Somehow I’m the bad guy when I get upset over slow ass people. So damn disrespectful.

CSB
My old man always said if you're not 10 min early you're late...and he held me accountable to it. Most my coworkers show up 5 to 10 minutes late. Drives me nuts.

Habitual late people for personal events sucks when you are a habitual early arriver. But once you get to know who the people are in each group you can account for them and plan accordingly.

What bothers me more is the people that can't control their time in a professional setting. I have managers/directors that I work with that don't manage their calendars correctly, so they appear to be booked non-stop for the next two weeks at all times. I have a hard time believing that they really need to be in every meeting that they are invited to for that entire time. And then, when I schedule something into an open spot in their calendars a few weeks in the future they show up late because previous meetings went long. I have a method for calendar management, only accept the meetings that I absolutely need to attend and leave the other ones that I could got to as tentative, that I use with my employees so that they know when they can schedule my time if they need to. There's always a time slot in any given day that they can find for at least a short convo.

I've also started evangelizing to my coworkers for them to set Outlook to schedule meetings for 5 minutes less than a normal time slot, 25 or 55 minutes instead of 30 minutes or an hour. That gives you a little bit of leeway if you need to wrap up a thought at the end of the meeting while still giving participants time for a bathroom or coffee/water run before the next meeting. Everybody I've done this with has been a big fan of it.

Reactions: runkpanole
Well your son, you could coach/teach to correct the problem by teaching him why it is disrespectful to the indivdual(s) he is late for. Basically it's a big F U to whoever you were meeting. It is saying I have higher priorities than the pre-scheduled meeting at the agreed upon time. I don't value your time or our time together to discuss or solve whatever it is we are meeting for. If he plays sports, does he show up late for games and practices?

For the wife, that could be a little more difficult. Of course, if it is an event/meeting you are both going to, then perhaps drive separately if she is not ready at the time needed to leave to be on time. Just let her know well ahead of time, that if not ready by this time, I will be leaving and she can drive separately.

For co-workers that are consistently late, perhaps their manager should coach them up on time management if you don't feel comfortable coaching them up.
Lock the meeting room door at the appointed time and if they aren't already in the room, screw 'em. Been there done that. The message was received.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
Very early people are also annoying. Showing up 5 minutes early isn't a huge deal, but the 15 minute plus early people who then expect you to start the meeting early are a pain in the ass. We will start the meeting at 9 as scheduled even if you are here 20 minutes early.

First off, OP I apologize for being late posting in this thread, I usually am a person that shows up 10 minutes early.
It really doesn’t bother me much if people are late at work, I have my job to do and their poor work habits reflect on them not me.
Now if we have a tee time at 3:00 and you are late, We are teeing off without you.

My commander would lock the door behind him for any staff meetings or briefings....even if he was early. We learned to be VERY early to meetings with him because if you were expected to be at the meeting and found the door locked you got to have a personal meeting with him afterwards. Those weren't good discussions.

That's a pretty douche move, IMO.

He'd make a meeting for say 2 P.M., then he would show up at 1:50 P.M. and lock the door?

Why not just lock the door at the appointed time?

Just came in from the house. Show on CBS. Couple was at marriage counseling. Wife showed up late. Husband explains to the therapist that she always shows up late. They go back and forth arguing. He finally says "Screw it! You can show up late, I can leave early." He gets up and walks out.

It can get confusing getting whipsawed between colleagues at work who prefer that you arrive early and the wife at home who insists you not come too early

• Haha
Reactions: SoFla-Hawkeye
I’m very much a 5 minutes early is late person, so I get easily agitated with late people. My problem is, I’m surrounded by them. Somehow I’m the bad guy when I get upset over slow ass people. So damn disrespectful.

CSB
No. I’ve had plenty of them in my life and they suck ass.

On the flip side, if I'm late it's not a couple minutes. I'm gonna make it worth my while, at least an hour.

I had a First Sergeant that told us "If you're not 10 minutes early, you're late" and enforced it with violence.

I still believe in that. Both the 10 minutes early and the violence as punishment for not being 10 minutes early.

And yes, people who are late suck.

CSB
No friends on CPT in TLH?

I've also started evangelizing to my coworkers for them to set Outlook to schedule meetings for 5 minutes less than a normal time slot, 25 or 55 minutes instead of 30 minutes or an hour. That gives you a little bit of leeway if you need to wrap up a thought at the end of the meeting while still giving participants time for a bathroom or coffee/water run before the next meeting. Everybody I've done this with has been a big fan of it.
That's very... thoughtful.

It all depends on how long I want to wait for something to begin, for whatever it is that I'm suppose to be there at a certain time for.

I can think of thousands of things more disrespectful. I'm on time. The X mins early is late people blow ass and need to get over themselves. I'm not wasting 10 mins being early so some dipshit can feel respected

50% of you early people are holding meetings that are waisting my productivity. I'm not late because I'm having coffee. I'm late because I'm getting work done. You people have so much free time to arrive early, well get to work. If your meeting is actually important or has a history of being essential, I'll show up on time.

I can think of thousands of things more disrespectful. I'm on time. The X mins early is late people blow ass and need to get over themselves. I'm not wasting 10 mins being early so some dipshit can feel respected
Besides, then you'd have to stand around and talk for 10-15 min beforehand and nobody wants to do that.....

Completely agree.

I'm always on time.

However, I'll be damned if I'm gonna feed someone else’s ego by submitting to their request of being early.

If they want to twiddle their thumbs, have at it.

• Haha
Reactions: DFSNOLE

CSB
Sorry I’m so late to this thread, I was banging op’s mom and lost track of time. Hopefully everyone’s okay with my tardiness.

late-for-a-date-running.gif

ADVERTISEMENT