ADVERTISEMENT

Is this a must-win Cy-Hawk game in Ames on Saturday?

cidsports

HB King
In 2002, Iowa lost in the second half, 36-31, after a strong first half. The Hawkeyes would go on to finish 8-0 in the Big Ten season, and we all know about the Orange Bowl, rather than Rose that season.

Bill Landis: Ohio State and Oregon will have my attention, ya know, because that’s my job. But the Cy-Hawk game carries much more intrigue for me in terms of implications. I was pretty ready to punch Iowa’s ticket to Indianapolis after what I saw from the Hawkeyes against Indiana, and perhaps more importantly, what I saw from the rest of the Big Ten West in Week 1. It’s odd to me that Iowa is a 4.5-point underdog in this game, per BetMGM, considering how good it looked in its opener, how sleepy Iowa State looked in its opener and how Iowa has won the past five in this rivalry. As Nicole said, it feels like Iowa has kicked things into another gear dating back to last year. A win here would have me already looking ahead to Ohio State vs. Iowa in the Big Ten championship game. I never really bought the idea of Iowa State crashing the Playoff party, but if it wants to, this feels like a must-win.

Iowa State in the history of the Big 8/12 Conference has never won a Conference title. Their last title in a Conference was 1912, when they finished 2-0 with Nebraska in the six team Missouri Valley.

By the way, ISU was 0-2 against the Big Ten in 1912, including a 20-7 loss in Ames to cross-state rival Iowa.

Nicole Auerbach: I’ll be in Columbus for Ohio State-Oregon, so I’d be lying if I picked anything other than that. But I’m almost equally excited about the Cy-Hawk game, which features a matchup of ranked teams for the first time ever, with both in the top 10. Iowa won its final six games of the 2020 season by a combined score of 214-83 … and picked up right where it left off in the opener against Indiana. Iowa State muddled its way through its opener, beating Northern Iowa 16-10, but that’s what we’re used to seeing with the Cyclones in Week 1. And then they get better as the season goes on. Iowa has won the past five Cy-Hawk games, but Iowa State is the team that came into the season with more hype — the highest expectations the program has ever had — with some of us picking the Cyclones as a Playoff dark horse. Can Brock Purdy, Breece Hall and company snap the skid?

Landis covers Ohio State for The Athletic. He has Iowa 24-17.

Auerbach: I know Iowa State’s offense looked disjointed last week, but the pieces are some of the best in the country between Brock Purdy, Breece Hall and Charlie Kolar. This is a team I have picked to make the Playoff (if things go right) because I love how Matt Campbell built this program and the way Iowa State develops players. Losing this game wouldn’t necessarily knock the Cyclones out of CFP contention, but it would make their margin for error essentially zero the rest of the way. So, I’ll take Iowa State, 31-24, because I fundamentally believe in this roster and because at some point they always snap out of their early-season funk. Why not Week 2 this year?

In 1998, the 15 game winning streak ended in Kinnick Stadium. Iowa State’s two of three wins this past decade came in Kinnick.

On Iowa! My pick is Hawkeye State for at least one more year, 20-16 on Saturday. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: jamhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News