ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the deepest 285 class there has ever been?

MSU158

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2014
I can't remember a class with 10-285's ranked in the top 70. Can any of you?

1. Steveson-Minn
3. Parris-UofM
14. Cassioppi-Iowa
22. Nevills-PSU
47. Whitman(197/285)-UNC
54. Elam-Mizz
64. Reid-Lock Haven
66. Emerson-Neb
68. Walters-Drexel
69. Lightner(197/285)-Rutgers
NR. Streck-Indiana
NR. Heyob-NW
NR

6 of them are going to B1G schools. So, it looks like Cass may see the same guys A TON as even 2017 should produce several 4 year starters!

Likely starters out of 2018(with most likely redshirting)
Iowa-Cass
Minn-Steveson
UofM-Parris
PSU-Nevills
Neb-Emerson
Rutgers-Lightner
Indiana- B. Streck Lost to Parris in the Indiana State Finals at 220.
NW-Heyob-Lost Ohio DI State final 2-1 to Jordan Earnest(Ohio U)

Likely starters out of 2017
10. tOSU- Singletary
21. Wisc-Hilger
NR. Ill-Wroblewski Went 35-0 and became a 3A Illinois State Champ at 220
NR. MSU-Beard D2 Michigan State Champ at 285

Likely starters out of 2016
Purdue- S. Streck

??????????????
Maryland-Hemida has one year left and they are pretty dead at 285 after him.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Then 2019 has Kerklveit & Schultz

Yep. I just tried to stick to B1Gs. OkState will benefit greatly from Kerkvliet and, with the top B1G's all grabbing a top name, I have no idea where Schultz ends up.

Sure would be a great opportunity for Cornell to finally land a top 285.

Might prove to be true. Not too many years ago, I forget exactly when, there were 9(?) returning AAs at HWT.

Reactions: andegre
I for one am glad to see some of the larger Young athletes sticking with wrestling as their primary sport. Many in the past made the choice to play football in college only too have their NFL dreams not come to fruition. What I say to them is that you could still tryout after wrestling and you cannot have better physical training... Vince Lombardi wanted all of his athletes the wrestle

Last edited:
I for one am glad too see some of the larger Young athletes sticking with wrestling as there primary sport. Many in the past made the choice too play football in college only too have there NFL dreams not come to fruition. What I say too them is you could still tryout after wrestling and you cannot have better physical training... Vince Lombardi wanted all of his athletes the wrestle
As much as I love wrestling, honestly I would tell any kid with NFL dreams and the opportunity to play D1 football to play football. Today's kids with any shot at the NFL and/or likely D1 wrestling AAs are not being given the option to do both. Follow your dreams + full scholly > hoping for a tryout after not playing football for 4 or 5 years while not going all in on your dreams and acquiring debt.

That being said if the kid would rather reach whatever he believes to be the pinnacle of wrestling (folk or free or greco) then go for it.

Reactions: crablegs1
As much as I love wrestling, honestly I would tell any kid with NFL dreams and the opportunity to play D1 football to play football. Today's kids with any shot at the NFL and/or likely D1 wrestling AAs are not being given the option to do both. Follow your dreams + full scholly > hoping for a tryout after not playing football for 4 or 5 years while not going all in on your dreams and acquiring debt.

Like Austin Blythe.

I for one am glad too see some of the larger Young athletes sticking with wrestling as there primary sport. Many in the past made the choice too play football in college only too have there NFL dreams not come to fruition. What I say too them is you could still tryout after wrestling and you cannot have better physical training... Vince Lombardi wanted all of his athletes the wrestle

Generally not the grammar/spelling police, but you used the words too and there incorrectly so many times that I assume it was intentional?o_O

Reactions: Grip220
No, but I was drinking before the post and my grammar usually does suck thanks for noticing.

So Grip, I like you as a poster and am doing this to try to be helpful and not a d!ck, so please don’t take it that way.

Easy to get confused, but also easy to fix.

Think of it like this,

Two = 2
Too = also
To = everything else

There = referring to a place, “over there”
Their = referring to a person, “their shoes”
They’re = they are

Reactions: Grip220 and andegre
So Grip, I like you as a poster and am doing this to try to be helpful and not a d!ck, so please don’t take it that way.

Easy to get confused, but also easy to fix.

Think of it like this,

Two = 2
Too = also
To = everything else

There = referring to a place, “over there”
Their = referring to a person, “their shoes”
They’re = they are

Or, since this is the era of lazy social media abbreviations, just use "2" no matter what version of the word you are using.

Now the there,their, they're I wouldn't worry so much about. There is not a hip abbreviation of theirs that I know they're using. So, much like dominate instead of dominant, just use the word you think is right and make us just figure it out!

Reactions: Hawk3+1
Yea.
I think heavyweight is going to be one if not the deepestes weight for the next four-five years.
I know just about everyone has Gable marked for 4 titles but I see guys like Parris and Kerkvilet creating problems and closing the tapper sooner rather than later.
Cass is a beast but not sure yet he can eventually close the gap to win a title in this soon to be very tough weight. Hoping he proves me wrong this weekend

Yea.
I think heavyweight is going to be one if not the deepestes weight for the next four-five years.
I know just about everyone has Gable marked for 4 titles but I see guys like Parris and Kerkvilet creating problems and closing the tapper sooner rather than later.
Cass is a beast but not sure yet he can eventually close the gap to win a title in this soon to be very tough weight. Hoping he proves me wrong this weekend
GS better get that title next year, because a full sized Kirkvilet is going to be a problem for him. No need to look any farther than how close the high school match was when GS was considerably bigger and only won by a point or two.

Reactions: Sandor45

That being said if the kid would rather reach whatever he believes to be the pinnacle of wrestling (folk or free or greco) then go for it.

Two words.. Head trauma.

Two words.. Head trauma.

Before anyone else can respond, I had a concussion in hs from wrestling.... but I get your point. This could be a huge factor on why more of the heavies are staying with wrestling. I think it also has to do with the success of our USA team and Olympians. Our upper weights are showing how you can use wrestling past college. USA wrestling is really gaining momentum and it’s awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT