ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the worst offensive line in Kirks career at Iowa?

Sett1997

HR Legend
Nov 27, 2004
I can't remember such a porous line in pass protection since I've been watching Hawk football. Run blocking as well.
That goes back to 1980 and the Fry era too.

Last edited:
I see there is a big thread similar to this with the last post being yesterday. I didn't scroll far enough to catch it.
Went away for Thanksgiving with the wife and met the kids in Vegas.
Wife is an activity planner so I've been pretty wrapped up in the family thing.
No pics of wife. Lol
Sorry for the dupe thread.

Last edited:
To answer your question... I would even argue the 1999 line was better than this current debacle.
Now onto more interesting topic...did you win any dollars 💵
In Vegas?

Reactions: Sett1997
Last year's OL was this year's OL, but Linderbaum. I don't think Beathard's senior year OL was very good at pass protection, but they did have a good running game. No Wrs. Seems like a reoccuring problem....either they can't pass protect, or can't run the ball, or WR play is sub par and QB is always immobile/no threat of taking off.

Our highest rated OL by PFF, doesn’t even rank in the top half of the players at his position. But we don’t need PFF to tell us what are eyes have seen all year. Any time we’ve faced a NFL pass rusher it’s meant an almost guaranteed loss. Absolutely atrocious at pass blocking coupled with an immobile QB who has no pocket awareness and WR’s that shouldn’t be seeing the field means this run game was doomed from the beginning.

Our only hope is Proctor stays committed and lives up to the hype and then our 3 underclassmen starters make some major strides.

Last year's OL was this year's OL, but Linderbaum. I don't think Beathard's senior year OL was very good at pass protection, but they did have a good running game. No Wrs. Seems like a reoccuring problem....either they can't pass protect, or can't run the ball, or WR play is sub par and QB is always immobile/no threat of taking off.
Agreed about last year’s OL but sometimes one player makes a huge, huge difference. I think we would have won a couple more games this year if we kept everything else the same but added Linderbaum. For starters, that Pottebaum fumble at the goal line against ISU probably would have been a QB sneak for a TD. Not to mention the countless snap issues this year that I think really made it hard for us to get our running game going.

To answer the OP, I can’t remember many (any?) OL we have had over the past 20 years where we didn’t look like we had at a minimum one player out there that looked NFL ready. I’m sure at least some of our current OL will end up in the NFL but they definitely didn’t look like it most of this year.

Our highest rated OL by PFF, doesn’t even rank in the top half of the players at his position. But we don’t need PFF to tell us what are eyes have seen all year. Any time we’ve faced a NFL pass rusher it’s meant an almost guaranteed loss. Absolutely atrocious at pass blocking coupled with an immobile QB who has no pocket awareness and WR’s that shouldn’t be seeing the field means this run game was doomed from the beginning.

Our only hope is Proctor stays committed and lives up to the hype and then our 3 underclassmen starters make some major strides.
Agree, and perhaps Britt could be healthy next year too(Maybe have a healthy senior year like Dace Richardson), which would help.

The play where Plumb let a free runner fly in when there was no one even over the guard on that slide of the line was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. And we all saw Parker have the bonehead of all bonehead plays trying to say inbounds on a kick off.

The Logan Jones experiment….come on, Kirk. Let it go. It worked once. This one ain’t it. Maybe try the guy who has been a C for more than a year and was recruited to do so?

Reactions: Hammer93
We need to take a look at who is coaching the O-Line?
Sure but he likely didn't get to say yes or no to these guys who are there playing now when they were recruited. Maybe he is just dealing with a shitty hand dealt to him.

And the C position is all Kirk. That is entirely his doing.

The play where Plumb let a free runner fly in when there was no one even over the guard on that slide of the line was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. And we all saw Parker have the bonehead of all bonehead plays trying to say inbounds on a kick off.
I seem to remember a few plays with free runners to our QB.

I can't remember such a porous line in pass protection since I've been watching Hawk football. Run blocking as well.
That goes back to 1980 and the Fry era too.
Honestly, this year I’ve tallied a new Guinness World Record for most facepalms during a game due to Iowa’s offensive output.
hugh laurie facepalm GIF

Same thing happened to the right tackle in the Packer game last night. It happens even to pros...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT