ADVERTISEMENT

Is Trump’s doctor okay?

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By Dana Milbank Opinion writer January 17 at 5:31 PM

Examining the White House physician’s briefing on President Trump’s physical, I was alarmed — not about the president’s health, but the doctor’s.

Rear Adm. Ronny Jackson was so effusive in extolling the totally amazing, surpassingly marvelous, superbly stupendous and extremely awesome health of the president that the doctor sounded almost Trumpian. “The president’s overall health is excellent,” he said, repeating “excellent” eight times: “Hands down, there’s no question that he is in the excellent range. . . . I put out in the statement that the president’s health is excellent, because his overall health is excellent. . . . Overall, he has very, very good health. Excellent health.”

And just how excellent is His Excellency’s excellent health, doctor? “Incredible cardiac fitness,” was Dr. Jackson’s professional opinion. “He has incredible genes. . . . He has incredibly good genes, and it’s just the way God made him.”

Dr. Sanjay Gupta of CNN, making a rare house call to the White House briefing room, offered a second opinion. “He is taking a cholesterol-lowering medication, he has evidence of heart disease, and he’s borderline obese,” Gupta pointed out, citing Jackson’s own findings. “Can you characterize that as excellent health?”

Jackson replied that Trump’s heart is “in the excellent category.”

[The first year of the Trump administration, in its own words]

And not just his heart! The doctor rhapsodized about Trump’s vision, his stamina (“more energy than just about anybody”) and above all his mental acuity, which, Jackson made sure to note, he examined only “because the president asked me to.” Trump is “very sharp, and he’s very articulate. . . . Very, very sharp, very intact. . . . Absolutely no cognitive or mental issues whatsoever. . . . The president did exceedingly well.”

Sure, the guy could exercise and lose a few pounds. But “if he had a healthier diet over the last 20 years, he might live to be 200 years old,” the White House physician proclaimed. Jackson even blessed Trump’s habit of sleeping only four or five hours a night — “probably one of the reasons why he’s been successful” — and his couch-potato tendencies: “He can watch as much TV as he wants.”

And that time when Trump slurred his speech? Jackson blamed himself, for prescribing Sudafed. It was dry throat — exactly the diagnosis offered by the White House spokeswoman!

Jackson, nearly equaling the prediction of Trump’s personal doctor that he would be the healthiest president ever, predicted Trump would remain healthy “for the remainder of another term, if he’s elected.”

Based on Dr. Jackson’s assessment of the sedentary, 239-pound Trump as a model physical specimen, I imagine a new line of fitness books:

“Executive Time: The Trump Filet-o-Fish and Chocolate Milkshake Diet for Peak Fitness.”

Or, “Don’t Sleep, Don’t Move: Donald Trump’s Exercise is For Losers Workout.”

Jackson has been a well-regarded doctor. But since finding himself in Trump’s orbit, he has adopted the hyperbolic style and excessive flattery of the boss that we see in other, previously respectable members of Trump’s court.

We see it in the once-dignified Sen. Orrin Hatch suggesting Trump is on his way to being a better president than Lincoln or Washington, in Rep. Kevin McCarthy collecting pink and red Starburst candy for Trump, in the lies told by Sens. Tom Cotton and David Perdue and Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen to cover for Trump’s racist outburst, and in the fawning public performances by White House officials Stephen Miller and Sarah Huckabee Sanders. What makes them trash their dignity?

I put the question to Bandy X. Lee, the Yale Medical School psychiatrist who compiled the controversial book “The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump,” raising doubts about Trump’s mental fitness.

Lee said the screening test Jackson gave Trump “gives the public a false sense of reassurance.” Indeed, Donald Trump Jr. used the results of the test in a tweet: “More #winning. 30 out of 30.”

She said the test, though useful for detecting Alzheimer’s and the like, indicates little about “his high functioning, his frontal-lobe functioning, that we’re questioning.” To figure out what causes the worrisome traits President Trump exhibits — disordered decision-making, an insatiable need for affirmation, little impulse control, confusion about facts, difficulty foreseeing consequences — you’d need more extensive tests, a psychological exam and an MRI.

But, in a sense, you don’t need a doctor’s diagnosis to see that there’s a lot of chaos and volatility in the presidential brain.

That, Lee speculates, could explain powerful sycophancy that overcomes those who get close to Trump. “Those close to him are sensing this level of appeasement is necessary,” Lee speculated. They “feel they need to step in as a way to diminish his volatility and rage.”

The danger, Lee said, is that Trump’s courtiers do this for too long and succumb to “shared psychosis,” in which they come to “share his view of the world and lose touch with reality.”

They might even come to believe that a sedentary 71-year-old with significant plaque in his coronary arteries, high cholesterol and borderline obesity is the very picture of health.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...-card-e:homepage/story&utm_term=.86654219bc13

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
By Dana Milbank Opinion writer January 17 at 5:31 PM

Examining the White House physician’s briefing on President Trump’s physical, I was alarmed — not about the president’s health, but the doctor’s.

Rear Adm. Ronny Jackson was so effusive in extolling the totally amazing, surpassingly marvelous, superbly stupendous and extremely awesome health of the president that the doctor sounded almost Trumpian. “The president’s overall health is excellent,” he said, repeating “excellent” eight times: “Hands down, there’s no question that he is in the excellent range. . . . I put out in the statement that the president’s health is excellent, because his overall health is excellent. . . . Overall, he has very, very good health. Excellent health.”

And just how excellent is His Excellency’s excellent health, doctor? “Incredible cardiac fitness,” was Dr. Jackson’s professional opinion. “He has incredible genes. . . . He has incredibly good genes, and it’s just the way God made him.”

Dr. Sanjay Gupta of CNN, making a rare house call to the White House briefing room, offered a second opinion. “He is taking a cholesterol-lowering medication, he has evidence of heart disease, and he’s borderline obese,” Gupta pointed out, citing Jackson’s own findings. “Can you characterize that as excellent health?”

Jackson replied that Trump’s heart is “in the excellent category.”

[The first year of the Trump administration, in its own words]

And not just his heart! The doctor rhapsodized about Trump’s vision, his stamina (“more energy than just about anybody”) and above all his mental acuity, which, Jackson made sure to note, he examined only “because the president asked me to.” Trump is “very sharp, and he’s very articulate. . . . Very, very sharp, very intact. . . . Absolutely no cognitive or mental issues whatsoever. . . . The president did exceedingly well.”

Sure, the guy could exercise and lose a few pounds. But “if he had a healthier diet over the last 20 years, he might live to be 200 years old,” the White House physician proclaimed. Jackson even blessed Trump’s habit of sleeping only four or five hours a night — “probably one of the reasons why he’s been successful” — and his couch-potato tendencies: “He can watch as much TV as he wants.”

And that time when Trump slurred his speech? Jackson blamed himself, for prescribing Sudafed. It was dry throat — exactly the diagnosis offered by the White House spokeswoman!

Jackson, nearly equaling the prediction of Trump’s personal doctor that he would be the healthiest president ever, predicted Trump would remain healthy “for the remainder of another term, if he’s elected.”

Based on Dr. Jackson’s assessment of the sedentary, 239-pound Trump as a model physical specimen, I imagine a new line of fitness books:

“Executive Time: The Trump Filet-o-Fish and Chocolate Milkshake Diet for Peak Fitness.”

Or, “Don’t Sleep, Don’t Move: Donald Trump’s Exercise is For Losers Workout.”

Jackson has been a well-regarded doctor. But since finding himself in Trump’s orbit, he has adopted the hyperbolic style and excessive flattery of the boss that we see in other, previously respectable members of Trump’s court.

We see it in the once-dignified Sen. Orrin Hatch suggesting Trump is on his way to being a better president than Lincoln or Washington, in Rep. Kevin McCarthy collecting pink and red Starburst candy for Trump, in the lies told by Sens. Tom Cotton and David Perdue and Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen to cover for Trump’s racist outburst, and in the fawning public performances by White House officials Stephen Miller and Sarah Huckabee Sanders. What makes them trash their dignity?

I put the question to Bandy X. Lee, the Yale Medical School psychiatrist who compiled the controversial book “The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump,” raising doubts about Trump’s mental fitness.

Lee said the screening test Jackson gave Trump “gives the public a false sense of reassurance.” Indeed, Donald Trump Jr. used the results of the test in a tweet: “More #winning. 30 out of 30.”

She said the test, though useful for detecting Alzheimer’s and the like, indicates little about “his high functioning, his frontal-lobe functioning, that we’re questioning.” To figure out what causes the worrisome traits President Trump exhibits — disordered decision-making, an insatiable need for affirmation, little impulse control, confusion about facts, difficulty foreseeing consequences — you’d need more extensive tests, a psychological exam and an MRI.

But, in a sense, you don’t need a doctor’s diagnosis to see that there’s a lot of chaos and volatility in the presidential brain.

That, Lee speculates, could explain powerful sycophancy that overcomes those who get close to Trump. “Those close to him are sensing this level of appeasement is necessary,” Lee speculated. They “feel they need to step in as a way to diminish his volatility and rage.”

The danger, Lee said, is that Trump’s courtiers do this for too long and succumb to “shared psychosis,” in which they come to “share his view of the world and lose touch with reality.”

They might even come to believe that a sedentary 71-year-old with significant plaque in his coronary arteries, high cholesterol and borderline obesity is the very picture of health.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/is-trumps-doctor-okay/2018/01/17/0d887f50-fbce-11e7-ad8c-ecbb62019393_story.html?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-e:homepage/story&utm_term=.86654219bc13

Is there anyone associated with this administration that can still tell the truth?

SAD

Didn't they find that Trump has a weird heart condition and that even with meds, his cholesterol is through the roof?

Why is Gupta assessing a patient he hasn't ever personally examined or treated? Something seems wrong with that

Because he gets paid to do unprofessional things like this,... and he doesn't particularly care.

Reactions: BrianNole09
Maybe Dr. Jackson had to keep repeating himself because he kept being asked the same question over and over.

Gupta has taken a lot of heat from the medical community the last couple of days.

That doesn't fit the narrative however.

I'd love to find out where liberals get their talking points.

Maybe Dr. Jackson had to keep repeating himself because he kept being asked the same question over and over.

Gupta has taken a lot of heat from the medical community the last couple of days.

That doesn't fit the narrative however.

I'd love to find out where liberals get their talking points.
Hard to blame him getting shit. It's hard to believe a doctor who says that a 71 year old obese man who doesn't exercise, only eats junkfood, has a heart condition, has sky high cholesterol, and who has irregular sleeping patterns is in excellent health.

Hard to blame him getting shit. It's hard to believe a doctor who says that a 71 year old obese man who doesn't exercise, only eats junkfood, has a heart condition, has sky high cholesterol, and who has irregular sleeping patterns is in excellent health.

a couple of things, he is not obese per medical definitions, he only eats junk food? really, can you prove that. What heart condition does he have? What is sky high cholesterol?

a couple of things, he is not obese per medical definitions, he only eats junk food? really, can you prove that. What heart condition does he have? What is sky high cholesterol?
You are talking to Dr. Huey dont ya know?

The BMI for a man his height and weighing 239 is 29.9. Obesity is at 30. Don't you find it weird that magically Trump got in just under the wire for this one?

Just pointing out the errors, care to address your other statements

Sure. How does a man who takes cholesterol medication, yet still have high cholesterol, in excellent health?

just because he has high cholesterol doesn't mean he has heart disease or will have. What was his heart condition again?

This is THE doctor that Obama appointed - Huey, your savior appointed this Doctor, how can you say anything but rainbows about him?

I have sky high cholesterol (294) and I work out 5x a week and eat pretty damn clean. I take meds for it, and the doctor says "you are in good health - except for the cholesterol". My brewing buddy is 40lbs heavier than I, drinks like a fish, eats whatever he wants and his blood work is spotless.

Reactions: Finance85
This is THE doctor that Obama appointed - Huey, your savior appointed this Doctor, how can you say anything but rainbows about him?

I have sky high cholesterol (294) and I work out 5x a week and eat pretty damn clean. I take meds for it, and the doctor says "you are in good health - except for the cholesterol". My brewing buddy is 40lbs heavier than I, drinks like a fish, eats whatever he wants and his blood work is spotless.
I'm just taking in the whole picture. And it doesn't pan out.

Under your expert opinion, can someone who is a hairs breadth away from obesity, doesn't exercise, has sleeping problems, and who has high cholesterol also be in excellent shape? Seems like an odd diagnosis.

Have you read the medical report or are you just throwing stuff out of your ass and see if it sticks?

Are those real quotes? Specifically the use of "excellent" and excessive use of "very" or is this like the Onion/satire?

I'm just taking in the whole picture. And it doesn't pan out.
Did you doubt his assessment of Obama? Guessing not.

SO you telling me that a guy that smoked for 30 years is "healthy" huh? Got news for ya - he ain't.

The president is in "excellent health," and there's no reason things shouldn't stay that way, his physician said. The information was reported in Politico.

"All clinical data indicates that the president is currently healthy and that he will remain so for the duration of his presidency," wrote Dr. Ronny Jackson, director of the White House Medical Unit.

Obama, 53, had a physical exam – his first in three years – in May.

The president, who once smoked, remains tobacco free but continues "occasional," use of nicotine gum, Jackson said. The president was criticized for chewing gum at recent D-Day ceremonies and social media speculated Obama was probably using gum designed to fend off tobacco cravings.

Huey moved on from gay recruiting to medicine?

Did you doubt his assessment of Obama? Guessing not.
I think these two pictures speak for themselves:

barack-obama-on-beach-in-hawaii-2.jpg
file.php

I think these two pictures speak for themselves:

barack-obama-on-beach-in-hawaii-2.jpg
file.php
If you go off looks, you would see me as the Obama picture and my brew buddy as Trump (only difference is the medical reports would be flipped around - tell me Huey how does that happen?).

Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Add in Obama is in his 50's and Trump in 70's? I know you just can't grasp things - hilarious how desperate you all are.

Why is Gupta assessing a patient he hasn't ever personally examined or treated? Something seems wrong with that

He is using the common test results that absolutely refute the statement that Trump is in excellent health. He has heart disease (like most his age). Anyone with heart disease, especially if there hasn't been an intervention, should not be defined as excellent health. Also, lol at you Trump fans believing he came in one pound under being classified as obese for his height.

just because he has high cholesterol doesn't mean he has heart disease or will have. What was his heart condition again?
That wasn't the question Huey asked you.

Here are the facts. Trump has a BMI of 29.9. He is borderline obese. He takes cholesterol meds. He has evidence of heart disease and eats poorly.
These are facts given by his doctor.

With that in mind, how can you say someone like that is in excellent condition? That is bullshit. I seriously question whether you are actually an RN.

But “if he had a healthier diet over the last 20 years, he might live to be 200 years old,” the White House physician proclaimed.

This statement tells me the WH physician is a quack.

And what is up with this administration's ridiculous use of hyperbole? Even the damn doctor employs this fifth grade strategy.

(“more energy than just about anybody”

Very, very sharp, very intact.

Hands down, there’s no question that he is in the excellent range

Overall, he has very, very good health. Excellent health.”

I grew up on a farm so I have experience recognizing bullshit when I see it. I don't really care what the official medical report says, some parts of it are not credible.

Well ok then, we have another internet doctor to provide care to us

He's not.

He simply asked a question ( a very good one) based upon the findings presented by Trump's doctor.

I would ask the exact same question. How can you categorize someone with those conditions as being in excellent health? Honest question.

He is using the common test results that absolutely refute the statement that Trump is in excellent health. He has heart disease (like most his age). Anyone with heart disease, especially if there hasn't been an intervention, should not be defined as excellent health. Also, lol at you Trump fans believing he came in one pound under being classified as obese for his height.

What heart disease does he have?

That wasn't the question Huey asked you.

Here are the facts. Trump has a BMI of 29.9. He is borderline obese. He takes cholesterol meds. He has evidence of heart disease and eats poorly.
These are facts given by his doctor.

With that in mind, how can you say someone like that is in excellent condition? That is bullshit. I seriously question whether you are actually an RN.

Yes it was again what heart disease does he have

What heart disease does he have l keep hearing this but nobody will answer my question?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT