ADVERTISEMENT

ISIS Destruction of Iraqi Antiquities

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Am I the only one who gets sick to my stomach to see these statues and works of art smashed up?

Taliban did the same, as I recall, destroying Buddhist statues and temples and such.

I guess I feel that things like that belong to humanity and, as such, belong partly to me.

It's severely messed up. Grateful we can live in the United States.

Wish OP felt the same way about the people being slaughtered as he did about artwork being destroyed...... Oh well priorities and all that I suppose

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:
Am I the only one who gets sick to my stomach to see these statues and works of art smashed up?

Taliban did the same, as I recall, destroying Buddhist statues and temples and such.

I guess I feel that things like that belong to humanity and, as such, belong partly to me.
This practice goes back to the Egyptian, Greek and Roman times. Hence the reason the Great Sphinx doesn't have a nose.

It's beyond offed up. But for that region of the world it's gone on for thousands of years.

Originally posted by Hawk in SEC Country:

This practice goes back to the Egyptian, Greek and Roman times. Hence the reason the Great Sphinx doesn't have a nose.

It's beyond offed up. But for that region of the world it's gone on for thousands of years.
Didn't the Afrikacorps shoot off the nose of The Sphinx?

"The birthplace of human civilisation … is being destroyed"

I feel the same way Jesus, those pieces from antiquity belong to all of us and can't be replaced. If it isn't a terrible crime against humanity on the scale they have already committed, it is a despicable crime against civilization, culture, art, history.

Barbarians

Ahhhhh! Don't worry about it WWJD….after all, it's just the JV team NOT doing what the Koran tells them to do.

No big whoop. Just a bunch of non-Muslims doing the work of Muhammad.

Originally posted by lucas80:

NO.......Napoleon was also accused of shooting it off. But there were sketches made of the Sphinx in the lat 1700's that already showed the Sphinx with it's nose removed. There is one historical account that says a Muslim sheik named al-Suhr as the person who blew it off with explosives in the 14th century, as he viewed the Sphinx as idolatrous and tried to destroy it.

Why don't you give a crap when they are destroying Christian PEOPLE? Or even fellow Muslim PEOPLE? I mean, in that case, it is much easier to just compare them to Israel and feel good about yourself, isn't it?

Originally posted by Pepperman:

Why don't you give a crap when they are destroying Christian PEOPLE? Or even fellow Muslim PEOPLE? I mean, in that case, it is much easier to just compare them to Israel and feel good about yourself, isn't it?
Why do you assume he doesn't give a crap?

NO.......Napoleon was also accused of shooting it off. But there were sketches made of the Sphinx in the lat 1700's that already showed the Sphinx with it's nose removed. There is one historical account that says a Muslim sheik named al-Suhr as the person who blew it off with explosives in the 14th century, as he viewed the Sphinx as idolatrous and tried to destroy it.

The Egyptians were great builders but I suspect they did a half-ass job on the sphinx's nose. Too much mud and not enough straw, maybe other other way around. Maybe they subcontracted it.

Slieb, you make a great white knight. Let's just say it would be best if Mr. WWJD answers the question himself? In other words, "why do you assume he does?" We can have a good volley on this or just let him handle his own Q&A?

Does anybody disagree with the OP's post? Is any poster here not outraged or at least saddened by the news?

This terrible news isn't about politics.

F'ing Muslims!

Does anybody disagree with the OP's post? Is any poster here not outraged or at least saddened by the news?

Slieb, you make a great white knight. Let's just say it would be best if Mr. WWJD answers the question himself? In other words, "why do you assume he does?" We can have a good volley on this or just let him handle his own Q&A?
I'm not the one who made the assertion.

Now those nimrods are bulldozing the ancient Assyrian city of Nimrud.

In the past it was considered cultural theft of Imperialism for the west to excavate and pack out ancient treasures out of the nation. The British Museum in particular got a lot of pressure to repatriate many Greek artifacts. But after seeing this, maybe we need a little more cultural imperialism.

Destruction of ancient Assyrian city of Nimrud by Isis is war crime, says UN

Link

No you are not the only one. However, I am more sick to my stomach about their murder. Latest reported being the throwing accused homosexuals from the top of tall buildings.

Originally posted by rchawk:

Well no...

What level of outrage would satisfy everybody here?

This is another in a long-ass list of things that I pretty much cannot solve today. So, my reaction to when I read it this morning drinking my coffee at 5:30am was similar to the "glad I live here instead of there" post.

If you insist....

The main difference between you and me (and between swag and me, since he made the same charge) is that I care about the innocent people brutalized and killed on BOTH SIDES of these conflicts - including those killed by us and those we support. And I object to those atrocities, no matter who causes them.

If it seems to you that I only object to the atrocities we and our allies commit, that's because you aren't paying attention.

If it seems to you that I object more to the atrocities that we and our allies commit, that may be true. I don't think the atrocities themselves are worse for that reason, but I am much more upset when my side does evil. We are supposed to be the good guys. And if we don't object to the evil done in our name, we are no better than the Germans who blindly endorsed their government's atrocities. Or the Soviets, or the Brits, or any other chauvinists who condone or look the other way while their leaders do evil.

Your blinkers are so firmly welded in place that you routinely lie about my positions rather than examine your own.

If you insist....

The main difference between you and me (and between swag and me, since he made the same charge) is that I care about the innocent people brutalized and killed on BOTH SIDES of these conflicts - including those killed by us and those we support. And I object to those atrocities, no matter who causes them.

If it seems to you that I only object to the atrocities we and our allies commit, that's because you aren't paying attention.

If it seems to you that I object more to the atrocities that we and our allies commit, that may be true. I don't think the atrocities themselves are worse for that reason, but I am much more upset when my side does evil. We are supposed to be the good guys. And if we don't object to the evil done in our name, we are no better than the Germans who blindly endorsed their government's atrocities. Or the Soviets, or the Brits, or any other chauvinists who condone or look the other way while their leaders do evil.

Your blinkers are so firmly welded in place that you routinely lie about my positions rather than examine your own.
I think a problem is with the definition of "atrocities." I tend to reserve the use of the word for things like throwing the accused from tall buildings, strapping explosives to mentally challenged children and detonating them near targets, burning people alive, beheading people because of their religious beliefs or citizenship, etc. You seem to have a very expansive definition that would include the killing of said purveyors of atrocities or the collateral damage/death in targeting them.

This post was edited on 3/6 1:00 PM by Tenacious E

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT