ADVERTISEMENT

Isnt NIL for selling Name, Image, Likeness but where does it involve selling playing services?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
The recent thread about what people are NOT saying about NIL and taxes etc is interesting.

And I thought the original intent of NIL was to let a student athlete sell their NIL but not for outside agencies like boosters to give them money to play at another school. I thought the selling of NIL was supposed to be a venture started by the student or supporting the student in selling NIL items but not playing services.

Who has really read the Supreme Court ruling and what does it say?

And what is the specific language that the [NCAA/or whoever created NIL] put into effect with NIL. I think NIL should be for making money off the playing area rather than performing in the sport.

And I am not donating to some students NIL. We had season tickets for 45 years and donated to I-Club and Alumni Assoc for many years and that is enough as far as the football and other sport operations go.

I would like to see the rules tightened up and the results be more transparent especially for students who are getting scholarships at public universities. Notre Dame I suppose and BYU will keep them secret.

18-Laughing-Really-Hard-Gif.gif

The recent thread about what people are NOT saying about NIL and taxes etc is interesting.

And I thought the original intent of NIL was to let a student athlete sell their NIL but not for outside agencies like boosters to give them money to play at another school. I thought the selling of NIL was supposed to be a venture started by the student or supporting the student in selling NIL items but not playing services.

And what is the specific language that the [NCAA/or whoever created NIL] put into effect with NIL. I think NIL should be for making money off the playing area rather than performing in the sport.

And I am not donating to some students NIL. We had season tickets for 45 years and donated to I-Club and Alumni Assoc for many years and that is enough as far as the football and other sport operations go.

I would like to see the rules tightened up and the results be more transparent especially for students who are getting scholarships at public universities. Notre Dame I suppose and BYU will keep them secret.
Think of it this way. They are not "selling their services" *wink wink*. They are transferring *wink.* They are just looking for the best school to transfer to that has a booster/program to give them the best contract to use their name, image, or likeness.

None of them will outright say they are transferring for pay-to-play.

Reactions: Bishop1971
These athletes are getting paid for NIL,.. Bottom line is that NIL is worth more at some schools than others.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Think of it this way. They are not "selling their services" *wink wink*. They are transferring *wink.* They are just looking for the best school to transfer to that has a booster/program to give them the best contract to use their name, image, or likeness.

I just read an overview of the Supreme Court Ruling of NCAA vs So and So Alston which said the NCAA cannot crimp the ability of student athletes from getting educational benefits. That has nothing to do with NIL but the ruling also mentioned NIL and NCAA not being able to keep their "play as amateur not getting compensation" hold over the players so that they can get compensated for "their value".

So it is that last part that opened up NIL to the wild west show. The problem with all this is that the second stringer and a lot of starters on football and Bball teams will not make any NIL. That to me is where this is lacking as these billions of dollars in profits should help pay all athletes at schools or at least those that are in a televised event and sport.

Not all are a booster program.

Reactions: millah_22
Not all are a booster program.
Sure you are right. Some NIL is probably an LLC set up to sell merchandise or even a charitable organization to raise money using NIL to help a cause.

I just have a problem with the whole bidding war for playing services which just a couple of years ago would be behind closed doors and if caught would lead to NCAA and school sanctions.

So you want to put restrictions on how the student athletes can earn income? You'd fit right in with the NCAA demigods who ruled the student athletes the past 100+ years.

Reactions: bumpstock
Sure you are right. Some NIL is probably an LLC set up to sell merchandise or even a charitable organization to raise money using NIL to help a cause.

I just have a problem with the whole bidding war for playing services which just a couple of years ago would be behind closed doors and if caught would lead to NCAA and school sanctions.
Ever hear of Caitlin Clark? Three of her's are none of those. And there are probably more.

Reactions: bumpstock
So you want to put restrictions on how the student athletes can earn income? You'd fit right in with the NCAA demigods who ruled the student athletes the past 100+ years.
haha, you are so wrong about my stance as I have been calling for most college athletes to be getting stipend money for years, decades. NIL is a money grab where only a small percentage of athletes get dough, some get a lot of dough. I think those athletes on TV should get a share of the pot of money and people could decide if that is $1000 a month, or $1500 a month or whatever. If they televises women's volleyball they should get some stipend.

On top of this I do not think NIL is bad when a player who is a top player can sell themselves but not to transfer and not for playing. They can have stipend money and it they want more money they can get it by starting a LLC to make and sell their NIL or to sign a contract to have someone handle merchandise, modeling, use of images, etc. Paying kids who are in high school to come to a school is wrong, paying kids to transfer is wrong on my book.

haha, you are so wrong about my stance as I have been calling for most college athletes to be getting stipend money for years, decades. NIL is a money grab where only a small percentage of athletes get dough, some get a lot of dough. I think those athletes on TV should get a share of the pot of money and people could decide if that is $1000 a month, or $1500 a month or whatever. If they televises women's volleyball they should get some stipend.

On top of this I do not think NIL is bad when a player who is a top player can sell themselves but not to transfer and not for playing. They can have stipend money and it they want more money they can get it by starting a LLC to make and sell their NIL or to sign a contract to have someone handle merchandise, modeling, use of images, etc. Paying kids who are in high school to come to a school is wrong, paying kids to transfer is wrong on my book.
News Flash: They're not asking for your permission, and they don't care what you think! Somebody will pay, and it won't be you. People are already deciding ~ they don't need "your people" to decide. BTW, anybody 18 & older can start an LLC for anything.

You're trying to go backwards, and the kids aren't having any of that B.S. They don't want "...your stance..." Once the Union forms the non-NIL players will join "...your stance..."

Last edited:
News Flash: They're not asking for your permission, and they don't care what you think! Somebody will pay, and it won't be you. People are already deciding ~ they don't need "your people" to decide. BTW, anybody 18 & older can start an LLC for anything.

You're trying to go backwards, and the kids aren't having any of that B.S. They don't want "...your stance..." Once the Union forms the non-NIL players will join "...your stance..."

Just like now where a lot of teams ahead of Iowa get the top football recruits that situation will stay the same with NIL. I doubt Iowa boosters and SWARM or whatever it is called can match OSU, Mich, Bama , the Florida, texas, oklahoma and California big time teams, let alone Notre DAme. Iowa does not have the fan base and money base to match NIL for NIL with those teams.

And by the way, I am sure the powers that be will do their thing without my permission. That was not what I was seeking which I cant believe you even thought that I was. I was just stating my opinion which is one of many.

The NCAA and its member schools had decades to do the right thing and modify the rules to allow the Olympic model of endorsements to flourish. If they had done this proactively, they could have implemented rules on how it would happen.

Instead, the powers that be such as the coaches and the NCAA administrators pocketed as much money as possible before the courts told them that NIL was legal. Since no rules are in place, it is the Wild West.

TPTB have had decades to do something, and chose to enrich themselves instead. Those are the ones to blame. They created this environment.

Just like now where a lot of teams ahead of Iowa get the top football recruits that situation will stay the same with NIL. I doubt Iowa boosters and SWARM or whatever it is called can match OSU, Mich, Bama , the Florida, texas, oklahoma and California big time teams, let alone Notre DAme. Iowa does not have the fan base and money base to match NIL for NIL with those teams.

And by the way, I am sure the powers that be will do their thing without my permission. That was not what I was seeking which I cant believe you even thought that I was. I was just stating my opinion which is one of many.
"...the powers that be..." are the players ~ someday you'll catch on.

The reboot of Blue Chips where they pretend to pay for likeness and are actually paying for them to play is not going to live up to the original.

Yes, I would like to put some limits on it. I'd like to see things go back to more of a "student athlete" game.

Players complained that schools were selling their jersey and got nothing for it. They complained that they couldn't sell autographs or make some money for a personal appearance. Couldn't make money for a speaking engagement or an interview.

Well, now they can make millions for playing football.

So, here is what I think -

"So, here's the deal Mr High School football player - you come to our school, and we will pay for your tuition, room and board and same incidentals. You will receive coaching, training table, strength and conditioning, professional trainers - all to make you a better football player to prepare you for the NFL. You can get free tutoring to help you get a valuable college degree.

Oh, and you can also sell your NIL for a maximum of $100,000 per year, but you actually have to do things to earn it - like sign autographs, make appearances, etc. And you can transfer once without penalty.

If you don't think this a fair deal Mr High School Football player, you are free to do something else. In another couple of years you can enter the NFL draft"

That doesn't sound like a good deal?

Money needs to be limited to protect the game. If there is no competitive balance, the game is in trouble.

BTW, I would also be in favor of limiting coaches salaries, and transferring some of the riches earned by football programs to the school's general fund.

Even professional sports have salary caps. I'm proposing something similar for college sports.

Yes, I would like to put some limits on it. I'd like to see things go back to more of a "student athlete" game.

Players complained that schools were selling their jersey and got nothing for it. They complained that they couldn't sell autographs or make some money for a personal appearance. Couldn't make money for a speaking engagement or an interview.

Well, now they can make millions for playing football.

So, here is what I think -

"So, here's the deal Mr High School football player - you come to our school, and we will pay for your tuition, room and board and same incidentals. You will receive coaching, training table, strength and conditioning, professional trainers - all to make you a better football player to prepare you for the NFL. You can get free tutoring to help you get a valuable college degree.

Oh, and you can also sell your NIL for a maximum of $100,000 per year, but you actually have to do things to earn it - like sign autographs, make appearances, etc. And you can transfer once without penalty.

If you don't think this a fair deal Mr High School Football player, you are free to do something else. In another couple of years you can enter the NFL draft"

That doesn't sound like a good deal?

Money needs to be limited to protect the game. If there is no competitive balance, the game is in trouble.

BTW, I would also be in favor of limiting coaches salaries, and transferring some of the riches earned by football programs to the school's general fund.

Even professional sports have salary caps. I'm proposing something similar for college sports.
I agree with you. I think the players should get paid but as an Iowa fan i don't want to be on the losing end of recruiting due to less nil money. I think that happened in basketball last year. I'm also saying this as a completely self centered fan.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

Sounds like a hooker doesn't it. "You're not paying for sex, just for my time".

Reactions: BigDan21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT