ADVERTISEMENT

Isn't the VFW a little redundant?

The American Legion has erected many fine halls/
buildings across our nation. It has been a place
for the veterans to gather to play cards and drink
beer. They serve small towns by allowing their
facilities to be used for wedding receptions, wedding
anniversary celebrations, fund raisers for those in
dire need of money to pay medical bills.

Do you not understand the difference between the American Legion and VFW?
I know EXACTLY what The American Legion is!

The point flies right over the heads of simple minds. "Veterans Of Foreign Wars" is redundant. That's the only veterans of WARS that we have had for 150 years.

Do you not understand the difference between the American Legion and VFW?

I believe VFW members must have served "in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters." American Legion members served during wartime but do not have to meet the above requirement.The American Legion was formed in 1919 to honor World War I and Spanish American War veterans. The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), organized in 1866, consisted of Union Civil War veterans. If you make it out to a cemetery tomorrow to lay some flowers, you may see an occasional GAR marker on a few of the older graves.

I believe VFW members must have served "in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters." American Legion members served during wartime but do not have to meet the above requirement.The American Legion was formed in 1919 to honor World War I and Spanish American War veterans. The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), organized in 1866, consisted of Union Civil War veterans. If you make it out to a cemetery tomorrow to lay some flowers, you may see an occasional GAR marker on a few of the older graves.
My whole point is the odd distinction when the word "War" is included.

Just say Veterans of Wars. They're ALL "Foreign" wars when it's America involved.

My whole point is the odd distinction when the word "War" is included.

Just say Veterans of Wars. They're ALL "Foreign" wars when it's America involved.

You called the VFW redundant. Membership in the VFW requires service "in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters." That is very different from the American Legions' requirement. Many US servicemen served honorably in wartime but not on foreign soil or hostile waters. You were wrong in using the word redundant, which was your point in beginning this thread.

Many US servicemen served honorably in wartime but not on foreign soil or hostile waters.
map-2.jpg

I'm not questioning their "honor."

If America is in a "war" (which is most of the time), then, you can bet your ass it is always on foreign soil.

Veterans of FOREIGN WARS?

When have we ever had a domestic war since 1865?

What does it personally cost you, and why do you even care?

Oh, it costs you nothing? Then STFU, and let our veterans have something for themselves where they can congregate and support each other.
What a stupid thing to even find a reason to complain about it.

You're making a stink out of something trivial and calling others simple minded? That's going to go over well.
Oh, it's very trivial... in a sense.

It's just a way to point out how war-like and militaristic the country is and always has been. That's not trivial at all.

Oh, it costs you nothing? Then STFU, and let our veterans have something for themselves where they can congregate and support each other.
What a stupid thing to even find a reason to complain about it.
What do any of these discussions "personally cost" anyone on these boards? Not a damned thing. What does it personally cost you that I'm calling attention to it? Nothing. But, I'm not insisting that you "stfu."

I don't care if veterans create 1,000 different clubs to get together.

Reactions: Fan In Black
I fundamentally oppose the like button,but holy sh!t, this post is worth it. OP needs to pull the rip cord on this one.
So, your issue is that I used the word "redundant" incorrectly?

All of our wars are foreign wars, right?

What does any of these discussions "personally cost" anyone on these boards? Not a damned thing. What does it personally cost you that I'm calling attention to it? Nothing. But, I'm not insisting that you "stfu."

I don't care if veterans create 1,000 different clubs to get together.

You're making a hollow complaint about NOTHING. An empty ramble to hear yourself talk.

You're making a hollow complaint about NOTHING. An empty ramble to hear yourself talk.
I'm "hearing" you talk, too. That's why I started it.

It's not really hollow. It's pretty benign, though. Of course I expected to get push-back and dislike. Very, very few people who call themselves American like to admit that the American military is almost always at war.

It's just a way to point out how war-like and militaristic the country is and always has been. That's not trivial at all.
I don't think that's the point you are communicating. To my mind, you aren't making a point about our warrior culture at all. You are picking on vets over some issue you have with the vocabulary they use which was likely not even in their control or by their choice.

Now if you had left the topic light we could have digested your point as just another paradox in the world. But then you decided to take yourself seriously so you are rightly getting pounded.

I'm "hearing" you talk, too. That's why I started it.

It's not really hollow. It's pretty benign, though. Of course I expected to get push-back and dislike. Very, very few people who call themselves American like to admit that the American military is almost always at war.
Which wasn't the point you led with.

I don't think that's the point you are communicating. To my mind, you aren't making a point about our warrior culture at all. You are picking on vets over some issue you have with the vocabulary they use which was likely not even in their control or by their choice.

Now if you had left the topic light we could have digested your point as just another paradox in the world. But then you decided to take yourself seriously so you are rightly getting pounded.
Well, I'll admit that I must have communicated the point poorly. It wasn't a slam at the vets themselves. I'm aware that they're not really in control of anything they do. They follow orders. Regardless... All our wars are foreign wars.

I know EXACTLY what The American Legion is!

The point flies right over the heads of simple minds. "Veterans Of Foreign Wars" is redundant. That's the only veterans of WARS that we have had for 150 years.

Maybe it's less confusing when someone says "I'm going down to the VFW."

"I'm going down to the V tends to confuse some folks."

I guess if you're that confused on what they call themselves, your best best would be to go over to a VFW and share your concerns with them.

Funny, YOU seem to be seeking conflict here while decrying our "war like and militaristic" country.

Maybe it's less confusing when someone says "I'm going down to the VFW."

"I'm going down to the V tends to confuse some folks."

I guess if you're that confused on what they call themselves, your best best would be to go over to a VFW and share your concerns with them.
Well, it's funny you say that. My father, who died of Agent Orange cancer from exposure during his TOD in Vietnam, was the person who mentioned that to me a few years before he died when he was arranging to get me out of the country, in case "Desert Storm" became a situation where they re-instituted the draft.

Wow. When you go full re re, you double down on that shit don't you?
Is that not the case? Did I embellish or stretch the truth at all? Vets aren't villains to me at all.

I just thought it was peculiar to make the distinction of "Foreign Wars." All of our wars are foreign. That's all!

Well, it's funny you say that. My father, who died of Agent Orange cancer from exposure during his TOD in Vietnam, was the person who mentioned that to me a few years before he died when he was arranging to get me out of the country, in case "Desert Storm" became a situation where they re-instituted the draft.

Desert Storm, draft?......... out of the country?

I respect the hell out of those in Vietnam and the garbage they came home to. Horrible. It was before my time admittedly, but from what I've read and heard, they deserved a whole lot better than what they received. That goes well beyond their homecoming, but their entire lives.

But there was no chance in hell there was going to be draft for Desert Storm. Ever!

So, your issue is that I used the word "redundant" incorrectly?

All of our wars are foreign wars, right?

No. I don't care if you use the word correctly or not. I don't care if they call it VFW, VW, or Pedro's House of Cards and Beer. It is a trivial issue of nomenclature and I like most people, have never given it another thought. The organization is comprised of men and women who fought in defense of our country in another country. They can call it whatever the hell they want.

My issue is exactly what Natural pointed out. YOU start a thread about this trivial bit of information and then start calling people simple minded when they point out the reasons they disagree. YOU started this thread knowing that it would devolve into a verbal conflict and have continued to stoke the flames, then decry our violent and militaristic country. YOU make a comment like "vets are not really in control of anything they do. They are just following orders" and then say you are not taking this conversation seriously. BTW, I had lunch Wednesday with a vet. 4 years in the Corps with a year in Iraq during desert storm. He is an anesthesiologist now. Apparently someone ordered him to be a doctor since he has no control over anything he does.

Your act has gotten old. Pull the plug.

Desert Storm, draft?......... out of the country?

I respect the hell out of those in Vietnam and the garbage they came home to. Horrible. It was before my time admittedly, but from what I've read and heard, they deserved a whole lot better than what they received. That goes well beyond their homecoming, but their entire lives.

But there was no chance in hell there was going to be draft for Desert Storm. Ever!
He was making sure. He didn't have you to consult. I wouldn't have gone anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT