ADVERTISEMENT

Isn't the VFW a little redundant?

He was making sure. He didn't have you to consult. I wouldn't have gone anyway.
That's too bad because I could have told him why it's called the VFW and then he wouldn't of had to ask his 10 year old son who he was trying to smuggle out of the country. The best part would be 27 years later we wouldn't of had this stupid ass thread.

No. I don't care if you use the word correctly or not. I don't care if they call it VFW, VW, or Pedro's House of Cards and Beer. It is a trivial issue of nomenclature and I like most people, have never given it another thought. The organization is comprised of men and women who fought in defense of our country in another country. They can call it whatever the hell they want.

My issue is exactly what Natural pointed out. YOU start a thread about this trivial bit of information and then start calling people simple minded when they point out the reasons they disagree. YOU started this thread knowing that it would devolve into a verbal conflict and have continued to stoke the flames, then decry our violent and militaristic country. YOU make a comment like "vets are not really in control of anything they do. They are just following orders" and then say you are not taking this conversation seriously. BTW, I had lunch Wednesday with a vet. 4 years in the Corps with a year in Iraq during desert storm. He is an anesthesiologist now. Apparently someone ordered him to be a doctor since he has no control over anything he does.

Your act has gotten old. Pull the plug.
I think this discussion really bothers you.

I called Garry simple minded because my OP had nothing to do with the American Legion.

Vets aren't really in control of very much of what they do in terms of combat, where they are sent to war, and a great deal of what they're made to do in combat. That's just a fact. And, our country is almost always at war. It's one of the most, if not THE MOST, militaristic nation in the history of the world, relatively speaking. This country has almost always been at war since it became a country.

That's too bad because I could have told him why it's called the VFW and then he wouldn't of had to ask his 10 year old son who he was trying to smuggle out of the country. The best part would be 27 years later we wouldn't of had this stupid ass thread.
I think I wasn't clear.

My dad is the one who said to me "I dunno why they have to call it Veterans of FOREIGN wars. They always fight wars in foreign countries. I was in Vietnam. My cousin was in Korea. Uncle Walter was at Iwo Jima. My great uncle was in France in 1918."

He was making sure that, just in case the "leaders" of the country wanted to start th draft again, they weren't going to get his kids over some more bullshit like he was duped into.

And, by the way, it's not "wouldn't OF had", it's wouldn't HAVE. Have and Of mean two totally different things. So, at least the stupid ass thread taught you something.

I think this discussion really bothers you.

I called Garry simple minded because my OP had nothing to do with the American Legion.

Vets aren't really in control of very much of what they do in terms of combat, where they are sent to war, and a great deal of what they're made to do in combat. That's just a fact. And, our country is almost always at war. It's one of the most, if not THE MOST, militaristic nation in the history of the world, relatively speaking. This country has almost always been at war since it became a country.

The most militaristic country in the history of the world? Good grief.

I think I wasn't clear.

My dad is the one who said to me "I dunno why they have to call it Veterans of FOREIGN wars. They always fight wars in foreign countries. I was in Vietnam. My cousin was in Korea. Uncle Walter was at Iwo Jima. My great uncle was in France in 1918."

He was making sure that, just in case the "leaders" of the country wanted to start th draft again, they weren't going to get his kids over some more bullshit like he was duped into.

And, by the way, it's not "wouldn't OF had", it's wouldn't HAVE. Have and Of mean two totally different things. So, at least the stupid ass thread taught you something.

Because we're going all grammatically correct now, those were your dad's exact words, verbatim? You're quoting him. Your dad said "dunno". Could you point me to the definition of "dunno"? Did you correct your dad when he used the term "dunno", or do you only correct those on HROT?

BTW, your point was crystal clear. Just stupid. Veterans have no control of their actions and a draft for Desert Storm rank up there with the dumbest things posted on this board.

Last edited:
Basically the members of the GAR WOULD NOT LET VETERANS OF THE SPANISH AMERICAN WAR JOIN THERE GROUP
So they started their own and named it VFW so that GAR members couldn't join.

Because we're going all grammatically correct now, those were your dad's exact words, verbatim? You're quoting him. Your dad said "dunno". Could you point me to the definition of "dunno"? Did you correct your dad when he used the term "dunno", or do you only correct those on HROT?

BTW, your point was crystal clear. Just stupid. Veterans have no control of their actions and a draft for Desert Storm rank up there with the dumbest things posted on this board.
My dad had horrible grammar. My dad and I rarely communicated by written word, however,

Veterans have no control of their actions... rank up there with the dumbest things posted on this board.
I tried to clarify it for you:

"Vets aren't really in control of very much of what they do in terms of combat, where they are sent to war, and a great deal of what they're made to do in combat."

And, as far as the draft, he was going by projections he'd seen on TV news beforehand that proved to be very wrong.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-09-05/news/mn-776_1_military-experts

No one with any actual military knowledge thought we were taking 100,000 casualties against the Iraqis. What rank was your dad?
Okay... I'll try this one more time... he was dying from the cancer. He saw this military action brewing and was concerned by projections like what I linked, and that it could escalate. He was concerned he wouldn't be around and, in his words to me "They're not doing to my kids what they did to me." He was a Staff Sgt. in the USAF 1959-1967.

I know EXACTLY what The American Legion is!

The point flies right over the heads of simple minds. "Veterans Of Foreign Wars" is redundant. That's the only veterans of WARS that we have had for 150 years.

Next time. Don't answer a question with a question.

You see... You've fooled yourself into thinking you're intelligent.

You posed what you thought to be a great question to the board and want us to answer it for you. Your question is that in which a 2nd grader would ask.

But if you had done even the slightest bit of research, then you would have your answer.

You know how to research, right?

Next time. Don't answer a question with a question.

You see... You've fooled yourself into thinking you're intelligent.

You posed what you thought to be a great question to the board and want us to answer it for you. Your question is that in which a 2nd grader would ask.

But if you had done even the slightest bit of research, then you would have your answer.

You know how to research, right?

Dunno if he does

Reactions: iahawks10
Dunno if he does
It was really more of a rhetorical question. It as intended to have people consider that America is always fighting everywhere except America, and it's been that way for over 150 years. Actually almost 200 if you don't count the Civil War.

It was really more of a rhetorical question. It as intended to have people consider that America is always fighting everywhere except America, and it's been that way for over 150 years. Actually almost 200 if you don't count the Civil War.

A very valiant attempt to get that point across. A great tactic as evidenced by the support you have received. Might want to look for a new approach.

I believe VFW members must have served "in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters." American Legion members served during wartime but do not have to meet the above requirement.The American Legion was formed in 1919 to honor World War I and Spanish American War veterans. The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), organized in 1866, consisted of Union Civil War veterans. If you make it out to a cemetery tomorrow to lay some flowers, you may see an occasional GAR marker on a few of the older graves.

So Civil War veterans - at least the Union soldiers - belonged to the GAR while other veterans belonged to the VFW...assuming they were interested.

I read where the GAR had huge political influence in the years after the war - no Republican could even think about getting the nomination without their backing.

Maybe it's less confusing when someone says "I'm going down to the VFW."

"I'm going down to the V tends to confuse some folks."

I guess if you're that confused on what they call themselves, your best best would be to go over to a VFW and share your concerns with them.

It could have been the "VOW"... Veterans Of Wars

I learned something today. I did not know about the GAR organization. I never had really considered the issue of the VFW. If the mainland is invaded, then the men & women that fight here will not be eligible for the VFW, but maybe the GAR will start back up or they can join the American Legion.

I believe VFW members must have served "in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters." American Legion members served during wartime but do not have to meet the above requirement.The American Legion was formed in 1919 to honor World War I and Spanish American War veterans. The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), organized in 1866, consisted of Union Civil War veterans. If you make it out to a cemetery tomorrow to lay some flowers, you may see an occasional GAR marker on a few of the older graves.

I didn't know that you had to have served during wartime to be in the American Legion. I thought it was pretty much open to all former service members with an honorable discharge.

Oh, it's very trivial... in a sense.

It's just a way to point out how war-like and militaristic the country is and always has been. That's not trivial at all.
Would we be considered less war-like and militaristic if it was Veterans of Wars than Veterans of Foreign Wars?

Would we be considered less war-like and militaristic if it was Veterans of Wars than Veterans of Foreign Wars?
Good point. Not to me. I just found the distinction to be be both peculiar and interesting. A great many Americans feel that every military function our leaders indulge in is perfectly justified.

We need more Ron Kovic's!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT