ADVERTISEMENT

Israel Raises Eyebrows On Vaccinations

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Everybody is praising Israel's progress on vaccinating its people. How are they so successful?

Consider this

Israel has purchased 8 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine, 6 million of the Moderna variant, and 10 million doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca iteration.​

That's 24 million doses - enough for 12 million people.

Israel's population is 8.6 million.

Hmmm.

Everybody is praising Israel's progress on vaccinating its people. How are they so successful?

Consider this

Israel has purchased 8 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine, 6 million of the Moderna variant, and 10 million doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca iteration.​

Hmmm.

A lot of countries have ordered enough to vaccinate 1.5-3.0 times their own population. Canada has ordered enough to vaccinate 3 times their population. Our country has ordered enough to vaccinate 1.7 times our population. Now if Isreal has had that much delivered to them already, then wow they hit the jackpot.

Consider this

Hmmm.

Canada Has Reserved More Vaccine Doses Per Person Than Anywhere

Consider this

Hmmm.

would account for vaccines that have to be thrown away if they were not stored properly or something happened in transit, etc. I'm not sure what the issue is WWJD ? Seems like responsible governing to order extra.

OP, seems like other countries have ordered more doses of the vaccine then they have people. You’re coming off anti-Semitic

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Canada Has Reserved More Vaccine Doses Per Person Than Anywhere
If true, that's a bad look, too.

Reminds me of the James Acaster skit about all the loot the British Empire stole from the rest of the world. In the skit he imagines other nations asking for their national art treasures back and the UK responding:

"I don't think so. . . . We're still looking at them."

Having a cushion does make sense, as @C/Seahawk points out. But these excesses should be viewed in terms of nations who are unable to get even a fraction of what they need.

The Bloomberg link makes Canada look particularly bad because, despite having an excess of vaccine, they are even worse than the US in actually getting it into people. See the next article at the same link.

If true, that's a bad look, too.

Reminds me of the James Acaster skit about all the loot the British Empire stole from the rest of the world. In the skit he imagines other nations asking for their national art treasures back and the UK responding:

"I don't think so. . . . We're still looking at them."

Having a cushion does make sense, as @C/Seahawk points out. But these excesses should be viewed in terms of nations who are unable to get even a fraction of what they need.

The Bloomberg link makes Canada look particularly bad because, despite having an excess of vaccine, they are even worse than the US in actually getting it into people. See the next article at the same link.

A couple of key factors that you may not be considering. First, many of these orders by countries from multiple vaccine producers were placed before the various vaccines were approved. There are/were no guarantees that the vaccines will/would work, so governments likely hedged their bets by ordering from multiple drug companies. Could the orders now be canceled? I don't know. Seems like they contracted with the drug companies so maybe not. Regardless, why would they if they don't know which manufacturers will get them the vaccine first.

Second, countries having ordered more than they need is completely different from countries having received what they need. It is easily going to take all of 2021 for the U.S. to receive enough vaccine to vaccinate everyone.

Third, we don't know yet what is required to achieve and maintain herd immunity. Maybe immunity from the vaccine will only last nine months and the vaccination process will have to start over.

Finally, I highly doubt that countries who ordered more than they need will let it go to waste--they will likely be sharing it with the WHO or directly with poorer nation.

Reactions: noleclone2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT