ADVERTISEMENT

ISU 3-3-5 defense

DanHawkPella

HB Legend
Jul 24, 2001
This video explains the history very well and then the defense itself and why it is effective

Mostly an "Air Raid" killer in concept, it is deceptively effective against traditional sets as well and doesn't give up the deep ball often. Because of the 3 man front they can bring a 4th or 5th rusher from various areas making the pass rush less predictable as well.

They do have lighter personnel than a 3-4 and thus could be in trouble against Wisconsin for example, but they do surprisingly well with their run fits and limiting big runs.

With Elsworth I believe at the "Star" safety spot doing a great job supporting the run and taking away intermediate routes in the middle of the field (like LaPorta and Ragaini), and with Rose and Vance at LB along with a good DL headed by DE McDonald it is a very experienced group.

Watching the video it did make me wonder how this defense would handle the option. Any change Goodson could run the option out of the Wildcat? :)

We don't run a lot of counter plays, but watching their run fits it seems a LB often has to cover a lot of ground so I think they might be susceptible to a counter trey or plays like that with a pulling guard coming back against the flow. I'm sure we don't have a lot of special plays for just ISU, but I'm sure our staff has spent a lot of time figuring out ways to run on them. If we can't run, it will make for a long day - we don't have to steamroll them, but we need to get 4-5 yards somewhat consistently to keep the chains moving.

I've added 2 more videos after the main video if you want to go deeper.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News