ADVERTISEMENT

ISU COVID athletic department testing results

They must have their players on lockdown. They have been doing better than any school I have seen of keeping numbers down. Either that or their tests are shite. I mean both Ames and IC are hotbeds for the virus right now.

Good for ISU, their staff, and their players. They are obviously taking the appropriate precautions, keeping their players safe, and playing sports.

I'll never root for them, but they are apparently doing something right.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Here is the deal that was floating out there last night. These conferences playing now have to extend by 3 or 4 weeks because of the postponed games during their season as they are not testing daily so more surprises will happen. The Big Ten starts up by end of October (vote appears to be taking place this weekend for real this time) and has daily COVID rapid testing procured through Uncle Sam, so they can much more easily maintain a fixed schedule. They converge and the ones playing now have to wait a bit (2 to 3 weeks) for Big Ten to finish and then the CFP happens. And then Ohio State wins the Natty and dunks on everyone.

This is irrelevant to the conversation, but is there even any proof of this?

An epidimiologist at Brown University has been tracking the data from public universities around the country, where the individual schools share how many positives and whether they are hospitalized. And yes, zero hospitalizations. I'm sure if we go on long enough there will be hospitalizations, but quite remarkable with that high number of positives and no hospitalizations. Questions that must be asked:

Are the positive tests meaningful (this is based on the NY Times story from a week ago Sunday that stated the sensitivity of the U.S. tests are providing meaningless positive tests, as those who are positive have so little virus that they have no symptoms).
What risk really is COVID to this age group?

It's the most relevant piece to the whole COVID conversation. Death is no longer the topic but having more positive tests, and nobody seems to care if any of the positive tests lead to actually being sick. If they don't get sick, they're not spreading it.

An epidimiologist at Brown University has been tracking the data from public universities around the country, where the individual schools share how many positives and whether they are hospitalized. And yes, zero hospitalizations. I'm sure if we go on long enough there will be hospitalizations, but quite remarkable with that high number of positives and no hospitalizations. Questions that must be asked:

Are the positive tests meaningful (this is based on the NY Times story from a week ago Sunday that stated the sensitivity of the U.S. tests are providing meaningless positive tests, as those who are positive have so little virus that they have no symptoms).
What risk really is COVID to this age group?
Nope, too much data and rational thought here. I was told we need to all be afraid and stay in our houses. Lock the college kids up and don't let them play. It's too scary.

What is even more amazing is that over 20,000 reported cases at college campuses nationwide without a single hospitalization. But yet let’s walk away from $100M and football season, cut swimming program, all while ruining the NFL future for who knows how many players that put their trust in B1G institutions.

This doesn't say anything about no one being hospitalized.

It's the most relevant piece to the whole COVID conversation. Death is no longer the topic but having more positive tests, and nobody seems to care if any of the positive tests lead to actually being sick. If they don't get sick, they're not spreading it.
Um this is just wrong.

Until proven otherwise, the leadership in this conference is incompetent and cowardly.

I'm pretty sure this is what you meant: "Until proven otherwise, the leadership in this COUNTRY is incompetent and cowardly." Fixed it. You are welcome.

False. Having symptoms is not necessary to be contagious.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
On Wednesday....143 tested and 0 positive results. Another round takes place on Friday and then...play ball!!!
tenor.gif

Jamie touts it as some giant success now, but how do we know half of the kids didn't have it back in the spring or summer? If you get just cold symptoms or none there is no way you are going to the doctor.

Here is the deal that was floating out there last night. These conferences playing now have to extend by 3 or 4 weeks because of the postponed games during their season as they are not testing daily so more surprises will happen. The Big Ten starts up by end of October (vote appears to be taking place this weekend for real this time) and has daily COVID rapid testing procured through Uncle Sam, so they can much more easily maintain a fixed schedule. They converge and the ones playing now have to wait a bit (2 to 3 weeks) for Big Ten to finish and then the CFP happens. And then Ohio State wins the Natty and dunks on everyone.
Please be right.

Jamie touts it as some giant success now, but how do we know half of the kids didn't have it back in the spring or summer? If you get just cold symptoms or none there is no way you are going to the doctor.
This is true. I am thinking at least 1/3 of the population has had contact with it. AT LEAST 1/3 if not more.

What is even more amazing is that over 20,000 reported cases at college campuses nationwide without a single hospitalization. But yet let’s walk away from $100M and football season, cut swimming program, all while ruining the NFL future for who knows how many players that put their trust in B1G institutions.
Are you trying to tell me that college kids, whether they are playing football or not, are gonna get covid ?

tenor.gif

Reactions: pmtdc

We don't know unless everyone is getting an antibody test. But really it doesn't matter at all for people that age.

I'm pretty sure this is what you meant: "Until proven otherwise, the leadership in this COUNTRY is incompetent and cowardly." Fixed it. You are welcome.

Hey Aristotle, my guess is that you are referring to the horrible "Orange Man." I'm no Trump fan, but folks like you won't even give him credit for anything he's done right. I would agree he's been terrible on the virus, mostly because he went along with Fauci and Birx on the lockdown forever strategy. He did order travel from China stopped in January, when people proceeded to call him racist for doing so. But leadership on both sides nationally has been terrible as it relates to the virus.

The assumption that shielding the American people from real information is shameful. Tell people the truth (good and bad).
The gaslighting that Cuomo and the NJ governor handled the crisis the best insults the intelligence. They sent sick people back into nursing homes, which flat-out killed people.
The failure to provide stratified CDC data (by age) to the virus until August is inexcusable. That's on the Orange Man and his White House.
The mixed messages on masks and their efficacy as it relates to the virus is also maddening. I have yet to see someone point to a study that was done on the efficacy of masks in preventing viral illnesses. Someone sharing an infographic with me is not a study. In my own reading on the CDC website, the last study they had in 2017 said that masks were not effective in stopping the spread of influenza. It's why we haven't required masks every winter in cold and flu season. I'll happily wear a mask if it works. But don't just yell at me "science."
Any future decisions that are made where certain businesses are deemed non-essential. In the future, government leaders making those decisions automatically means deep furloughs for the entities making those decisions. It's maddening to just tell people to stay home when your paycheck keeps rolling in. It's amazing how your perspective changes when your way of life is taken away from you by government edict.

Reactions: pmtdc and curleytop
I would shoot Trump in the face, if I wouldn't get in trouble, but the Big 10 should be playing football.

We don't know unless everyone is getting an antibody test. But really it doesn't matter at all for people that age.

A doc I know said antibody tests aren't worth the money. Said give him $200 and he would flip a coin and tell me the result and it would be as accurate as any antibody test out there.

This can't be true. It's too dangerous to play football and these athletes would be much safer going to classes and parties until we have a vaccine. Big Ten and Pac 12 are clearly the only Power 5 conferences who know what's going on.

Close but the safest and most beneficial use of their time is vandalizing and setting things on fire in the name of social change.

Reactions: pmtdc and curleytop
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT