ADVERTISEMENT

ISU latest recruit

hawk-i bob

HR Heisman
Oct 1, 2007
Iowa City
Zoran Talley, who was dismissed by Old Dominion in April following a violation of team rules, has signed with Iowa State as a graduate transfer, the school announced Thursday.

Talley, a 6-foot-7 forward, was Conference USA's sixth man of the year last season, averaging 11.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.7 assists.

Talley's dismissal by ODU came after a series of disciplinary issues. He was suspended for three games during the 2015-16 season and five games last season for violations of team rules.

His April dismissal came after another violation.

In a statement, Iowa State coach Steve Prohm said Talley's arrival will benefit a Cyclones' program that lost four starters from last season.

"We are excited to add Zoran to our program, he has had great success, both personally and as a team, at ODU and will be an asset for our team," Prohm said. "Zoran brings versatility on both ends of the floor and his ability to play and guard several positions will benefit us. He can score and make plays and with him being immediately eligible, that is great for us."

Reactions: DanL53
Whenever I hear "violation of team rules" (and barring the release of any other information), I assume those are code words for "got caught smoking marijuana." The pattern of suspensions would make sense in that scenario: three games, five games, dismissal (third strike). Just mindless speculation from me, though.

Reactions: andy1992
Don't see a big deal with it but I know that is not a popular opinion on here.

alot of people smoke pot...even athletes. IF that is the reason - we dont know. What we do know is he violated team rules '3' times. Maybe I'm old school...team should come first.

alot of people smoke pot...even athletes. IF that is the reason - we dont know. What we do know is he violated team rules '3' times. Maybe I'm old school...team should come first.

Yeah he made some stupid mistakes probably. Not the end of the world. He didn't get in any serious legal trouble. If I was judged for the mistakes I made when I was that age, I would be in some serious trouble. He gets another chance and maybe that is what he needs to grow up a little.

Yeah he made some stupid mistakes probably. Not the end of the world. He didn't get in any serious legal trouble. If I was judged for the mistakes I made when I was that age, I would be in some serious trouble. He gets another chance and maybe that is what he needs to grow up a little.

could be..he got 2 chances at OD..3rd was enough for them..but maybe ISU can provide some growing up opportunity.

Well, shoot! We made it 15 posts before an ISU Apologist showed up to give us the sunny side of rehabilitation.

Whenever I hear "violation of team rules" (and barring the release of any other information), I assume those are code words for "got caught smoking marijuana." The pattern of suspensions would make sense in that scenario: three games, five games, dismissal (third strike). Just mindless speculation from me, though.

If so...he's headed to the right place.

Sounds like a scorer, but 3.3 boards and 1.7 assists in C-USA isn't going to get it done in the Big 12. Also, not sure what to make of his playing style. Doesn't shoot threes, but shot .446 from the field last year on 4.9-11.0 shots per game. And he's listed as 200 lbs. I guess he's a 4 or 5 in ISU's offense???

No one knows why Talley was suspended. Everyone deserves second chances (in this case maybe more) and a fresh start in life. Give the young man a chance. Beyond that, Prohm seems like a stand-up guy who wouldnt "sell his soul" to win a few games. Talley seems like a role player at best, and can provide some needed depth. It's a bit unfair to cast stones upon this kid without knowing any details.

A quick Google search on Talley - 3 players have left the ODU program since end of last season, and Coach Jeff Jones dismissed 2 players the year before. I do not know the nature of Talley's suspensions, but it seems the ODU program is a mess.

Few 18-22 year olds are angels and do stupid things. It's the nature of the beast.

Time will tell. I hope he does well in Ames.

No one knows why Talley was suspended. Everyone deserves second chances (in this case maybe more) and a fresh start in life. Give the young man a chance. Beyond that, Prohm seems like a stand-up guy who wouldnt "sell his soul" to win a few games. Talley seems like a role player at best, and can provide some needed depth. It's a bit unfair to cast stones upon this kid without knowing any details.

A quick Google search on Talley - 3 players have left the ODU program since end of last season, and Coach Jeff Jones dismissed 2 players the year before. I do not know the nature of Talley's suspensions, but it seems the ODU program is a mess.

Few 18-22 year olds are angels and do stupid things. It's the nature of the beast.

Time will tell. I hope he does well in Ames.

Jones did indeed give him "two" 2nd chances after a 3 game and then a 5 game suspension...apparently he didnt take advantage of those & got booted.

Have no problem with his 3rd 'second' chance at ISU..
if its unfair to cast stones upon this kid..then it is equally unfair not to recognize that not all 18-22 year olds need 3 'second' chances. Sometimes it seems we don't equally recognize those that do follow team rules or those that learn after their 1st '2nd chance'.

Wait. We shouldn't judge the kid but we can judge if the program is a mess...as opposed to someone just cleaning it up?

I'm all for giving a kid a chance, like Iowa did with Hubbard or whatever his name was. Which we've taken grief from Clones for that, far too unevenly.

My problem with this is that State seems determined to take anybody they can get, repetitively, and taken on the whole it appears that it isn't because State sees itself as some rehabilitation program, but is trying to win games anyway they can.

Bottom line. It isn't the kid I'm complaining about...it's Iowa State. Folks HAVE come to expect that ANY player who gets kicked off his current team is a candidate for Iowa State, haven't they? Turns out, again, that those folks are right.

I think Iowa State TAKES chances. And has used up any consideration of otherwise.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
ISU does seem to be a magnet for players who have been in trouble. So far, this recruiting strategy has worked pretty well for them...

Wait. We shouldn't judge the kid but we can judge if the program is a mess...as opposed to someone just cleaning it up?

I'm all for giving a kid a chance, like Iowa did with Hubbard or whatever his name was. Which we've taken grief from Clones for that, far too unevenly.

My problem with this is that State seems determined to take anybody they can get, repetitively, and taken on the whole it appears that it isn't because State sees itself as some rehabilitation program, but is trying to win games anyway they can.

Bottom line. It isn't the kid I'm complaining about...it's Iowa State. Folks HAVE come to expect that ANY player who gets kicked off his current team is a candidate for Iowa State, haven't they? Turns out, again, that those folks are right.

I think Iowa State TAKES chances. And has used up any consideration of otherwise.

I agree that they take the chances you speak of, but conversely I don't have a problem with it. I see it as a side effect of their being a smaller Big 12 brand in B1G recruiting country. It's the best(only?) way for them to become/remain competitive somewhat consistently, esp since Minneapolis and Chicago kids, amongst others, don't seem to go there

Reactions: DanL53
I agree that they take the chances you speak of, but conversely I don't have a problem with it. I see it as a side effect of their being a smaller Big 12 brand in B1G recruiting country. It's the best(only?) way for them to become/remain competitive somewhat consistently, esp since Minneapolis and Chicago kids, amongst others, don't seem to go there

100% agree....if they would just own it.

That would be my guess. There was a story -- Randy Peterson? -- saying his name hadn't shown up on any police blotters, so it's probably weed. Or possibly refusing to turn off his walkman during meetings, but that seems less likely.

On the positive side, he's going to get his degree in three years, so he's been doing something other than drugs and hoops.

I really don't care who they take. Their whole athletic dept is a historical joke. But when Iowa football just got a transfer from Nevada, Butler, somebody on CF called him a "thug" when the kid has zero history of any problems let alone getting booted from the program.

I really don't care who they take. Their whole athletic dept is a historical joke. But when Iowa football just got a transfer from Nevada, Butler, somebody on CF called him a "thug" when the kid has zero history of any problems let alone getting booted from the program.
so we should rag on all their players because one ignorant fan?

How much time do you spend daily on CF?

Reactions: K OKeefe
Um I don't. Wow. Good work Hawk fans. I was responding to the post. You are great Legend. Whatever.

Hey Legend - all the posts here talk about it. Also, with your almost 45k posts, how much time do u spend on anything in life besides posting on a message board? Seriously dude get a life.

:) Yeah, but we weren't BDJ's neighbor. ;)

I think I remember that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there issue with him playing his stereo too loud, people complained multiple times, and at one point the cops actually busted him for pot? From the outside looking in, it doesn't seem like he was ever really held accountable for his actions while at Iowa State. Mere speculation, but makes you wonder if he wouldn't have made the choices that cost him his life had he been held more accountable.

Of course, if you read the Randy Peterson DSM Register article about it, BDJ was simply misunderstood and a play date with his daughter at 3:00 am had just gone horribly wrong. Smh.

I think I remember that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there issue with him playing his stereo too loud, people complained multiple times, and at one point the cops actually busted him for pot? From the outside looking in, it doesn't seem like he was ever really held accountable for his actions while at Iowa State. Mere speculation, but makes you wonder if he wouldn't have made the choices that cost him his life had he been held more accountable.

Of course, if you read the Randy Peterson DSM Register article about it, BDJ was simply misunderstood and a play date with his daughter at 3:00 am had just gone horribly wrong. Smh.

I remember the cops had been there several times, threatening notes had been left on the door of the guy who was their neighbor, BDJ's brother actually twittered saying that yes, that was BDJ's pot, something about Hoiberg having a deal to be called by the cops to smooth things over.

I remember thinking that stuff would NOT work in Iowa City.

If the kid is smoking pot....welcome to the real world. Kids smoke pot. If it's anything other than that, he has had 3 chances already.

No surprise. The Cyclones will sign anyone regardless of character if it might get them another win.
I don't believe that is true with Prohm. Would like to know more about his situation before making a judgment as should you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT