ADVERTISEMENT

ISU Practice at Gilbert

BVHawkeye

HR Legend
Jan 6, 2003
Went to the practice today. While I’m not a follower of ISU, it really looks like they’ve lost a lot of experience.
The QB position will be problematic. I know it’s spring but in their scrimmage there could have/should have been four picks.

They do have a couple nice receivers and Brock is their #1 guy. OL lost a lot . They do have some good defensive guys that returned. Lots of RS freshmen and Sophs in the two deep on both sides

Went to the practice today. While I’m not a follower of ISU, it really looks like they’ve lost a lot of experience.
The QB position will be problematic. I know it’s spring but in their scrimmage there could have/should have been four picks.

They do have a couple nice receivers and Brock is their #1 guy. OL lost a lot . They do have some good defensive guys that returned. Lots of RS freshmen and Sophs in the two deep on both sides
In other words, like most teams in April, they have no idea what they’ll have come September.

So tie this "insider"knowledge with a grain of salt. A friends son works with the athletic training staff. He thinks the offensive line will be fine but the QB room will need some work.

I've posted here long enough to know that by next August, people will be on here claiming I said ISU will be improved.
Unfortunately you get lumped in with some of the more optimistic fans. Could be that you back them up on some of their positions (pivot table comes to mind) and then you are tied to all of their stuff. It is fun to watch at times.

As much as I hate it, Campbell is a good coach and has put together a good program. Obviously they should take a step back this year, but most likely they will be decent later in the season. Then pretty tough again after that….and hopefully I’m not underestimating them.

As much as I hate it, Campbell is a good coach and has put together a good program. Obviously they should take a step back this year, but most likely they will be decent later in the season. Then pretty tough again after that….and hopefully I’m not underestimating them.
Good coach by ISU standards.

Think a "tallest midget" contest.

We’ll see what Dekkers does in his isu career, but I was hoping that Iowa would offer him instead of Hogan, back when they were in high school. Hope Iowa keeps beating them so it doesn’t come back to bite us too bad.

We’ll see what Dekkers does in his isu career, but I was hoping that Iowa would offer him instead of Hogan, back when they were in high school. Hope Iowa keeps beating them so it doesn’t come back to bite us too bad.
He'll be decent in the Big12 because they don't play defense very well.

I doubt he'd survive in the B1G.

Campbell is royalty at ISU. He can take a crap in the Chancellor's office if he wants. Making ISU relevant, playing for a B12 Championship, a New Year's six bowl, etc. These are dizzying heights for ISU football that todays students will be telling their grandchildren about in 40 years.

Then their grandkids will look it up in the Metaverse and ask why Campbell could never beat Iowa.

I think he realized he's safer at a school with low expectations.

And really, other than prestige, what's the difference between $3M and $5M per year? You can't spend that much.
I think he’s smart enough to wait for the good opportunity, and has done well enough at ISU that he can be patient and wait for best job. He’s not even 45 yet so it’s not unlikely At best he stays put for the next decade. Imo, I think he’s waiting for one of Michigan, Ohio state or Penn state to come open.

I've posted here long enough to know that by next August, people will be on here claiming I said ISU will be improved.
Teams rarely know what they have in the spring. I would guess Iowa State may be better than what many pundits pick them for this year. Don't care for ISU, but can separate my dislike with realizing that Campbell is competent/good coach. Yes, they suffered under expectations last year. We Iowa fans know what that is like.

Iowa or Iowa State?
Interesting question.
  1. The Hawks have a returning starter so you know what you are getting, and depending on who you listen to on this board, that is either a good or bad thing. He may not have the ceiling some would like, yet is experienced so you know where the floor is.
  2. The Clones are replacing a multi-year starter, so giving up huge experience. The new guy has been in the program, with limited game experience.
A big question will be what does either team have if the starter goes down with an injury? Iowa has a guy with game experience that has been in the program. ISU doesn't have that experience, and with the recent transfer out, will depend on younger players in that backup role. Will be interesting to see who feels better about their QB as the year progresses. How much of their ceiling they reach will likely be determined by how well their respective OL's develop, each with significant losses.

Teams rarely know what they have in the spring. I would guess Iowa State may be better than what many pundits pick them for this year. Don't care for ISU, but can separate my dislike with realizing that Campbell is competent/good coach. Yes, they suffered under expectations last year. We Iowa fans know what that is like.
Campbell's teams are always pretty scrappy regardless of the competition. They may lose by three touchdowns or more but they don't quit.

I suspect he will be gone before or about the same time Oklahoma and Texas leave. That is the death knell on the Big 12, Bob Bowlsby saw it. Campbell isn't dumb.

Last edited:
I think he’s smart enough to wait for the good opportunity, and has done well enough at ISU that he can be patient and wait for best job. He’s not even 45 yet so it’s not unlikely At best he stays put for the next decade. Imo, I think he’s waiting for one of Michigan, Ohio state or Penn state to come open.
Good points. He however can't have too many seasons like last year where they vastly underperformed vs. expectations. The 'but he won at ISU' card won't play long term. He needs at least a 9-10 season(s) mixed in to keep him hot for the jobs you mentioned.

Campbell's teams are always pretty scrappy regardless of the competition. They may lose by three touchdowns or more but they don't quit.

I suspect he will be gone before or about the same time Oklahoma and Texas leave. That is the death knell on the Big 12, Bob Bowlsby saw it. Campbell isn't dumb.
They don't quit??????

Did you watch their game against Louisiana Lafayette in 2020.

They absolutely quit by the beginning of the 4th quarter.

Campbell had a little heat after he took his average Cyclone team and his personal turnover machine to a New Year’s Six Covid Bowl where they were matched up against a Duck team missing players and had backed into the game after their daunting two game schedule. Would of loved to see him get the Oklahoma job and lead his team onto the field in beautiful orange and black uniforms followed by a Pistol Pete mascot.

Side note I thought this was Gilbert, AZ due to them recruiting heavy in AZ nowadays which made me think that would maybe be a good idea for a spring game.

The weather always sucks in Iowa at this time and no one goes to the spring game in Iowa City anyways. Maybe they should have a "spring game" in Florida, Texas etc so that recruits could easily come and have fans that live down there attend. Just a thought.

I think he realized he's safer at a school with low expectations.

And really, other than prestige, what's the difference between $3M and $5M per year? You can't spend that much.
That probably figures in. $3M/yr for a long time vs $5M/yr but maybe get canned in 4 years. Cost of living (if you can call it that in Ames) is also pretty low for a college town.

Side note I thought this was Gilbert, AZ due to them recruiting heavy in AZ nowadays which made me think that would maybe be a good idea for a spring game.

The weather always sucks in Iowa at this time and no one goes to the spring game in Iowa City anyways. Maybe they should have a "spring game" in Florida, Texas etc so that recruits could easily come and have fans that live down there attend. Just a thought.
Yeah, the weather is a big reason Iowa tends to finish its spring practice a bit later than most. Last year we had gorgeou weather for the spring practice/game, this week looks iffy as far as rain goes, though it should be in the 70s.

You got me. I didn't see the LA-Lafayette game, there must have been a better game on in that time slot.

I did see the final score and laughed my ass off.
Just messing with ya.

It's fun watching the admiration of a HC that hasn't yet realized how important special teams' play is to winning and losing.

Lil Matty would never last at a high profile program with the approach he takes at ISU.

ADVERTISEMENT