ADVERTISEMENT

ISU threads

I have never visited another school's forum before. I honestly hope that you guys do well except when you're playing Iowa. Since we play annually it is good for both teams to get quality wins and it helps the strength of schedule. I think it would be a great thing for the state if both of the Iowa schools were in the top 25 every year in every sport. I think people would be even prouder of the state if that were the case. I would rather spend my energy rooting for teams than talking trash. I know this isn't a common opinion, but I don't care.

I would like to understand the “I root for ISU when they’re not playing Iowa” crowd. I doubt I ever will.

SOS in college football is virtually useless. Of that virtual nothingness, it’s one game out of 12. Certainly not worth: possibly losing recruits, fans, money, the team to be in the state, listening to idiot clown fans, and a lot more. Iowa is not big enough for two FBS teams, let alone two P5 teams.

I guess I can’t root against ISU enough.

Like this above. Makes zero sense: “I think it would be a great thing for the state if both of the Iowa schools were in the top 25 every year in every sport. I think people would be even prouder of the state if that were the case.“

I would like to understand the “I root for ISU when they’re not playing Iowa” crowd. I doubt I ever will.

SOS in college football is virtually useless. Of that virtual nothingness, it’s one game out of 12. Certainly not worth: possibly losing recruits, fans, money, the team to be in the state, listening to idiot clown fans, and a lot more. Iowa is not big enough for two FBS teams, let alone two P5 teams.

Like this above. Makes zero sense: “I think it would be a great thing for the state if both of the Iowa schools were in the top 25 every year in every sport. I think people would be even prouder of the state if that were the case.“

Strength of schedule is useless when you aren't trying to play for the championship. I promise you that it does factor into who makes the final four every year. It is asinine to believe any different.

If you want to be a champion you have to think like one and want to play the best.

Or we could just drop out of the big ten and play san jose state and the like every
game and go undefeated and never make the final four for selection.

You are right that strength of schedule is useless, but if people want to complain all the time about how horrible it is that the Hawks have to face the Clones every year because ISU sucks so bad, then ISU just as well not suck so bad and have the games mean something on a national level then right?

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Why do you post on a Hawkeye forum everyday? Fair question
I don't post in the sports forums every day. I could be flippant and say I'm trying to educate you people, but the truth is that I mostly enjoy the conversations.

I used to post on the Cornhusker site but got banned. Very touchy folks over there. I visit the sites of Kansas and Texas occasionally.

LC and I have had a few back and forths but I like him as a poster here. He at least has a modicum of objectivity and that's all I would expect of a rival on our site. And he doesn't have that vitriol of some. I mean I visit CF a few times a week (would never post there) and some of the stuff especially that PsychoTwins is just really sad. Keep coming around LC like your posts (sometimes!).

When the same trolls come back day after day after day and spout completely stupid crap...it's hard for me not to stoop to their level for a bit. They do it because this is one of the few sites that allows trolls. While I have no interest in visiting an ISU site...imagine what that board would be like if they allowed discussion from other teams ;)

Reactions: madmax1191
I don't post in the sports forums every day. I could be flippant and say I'm trying to educate you people, but the truth is that I mostly enjoy the conversations.

I used to post on the Cornhusker site but got banned. Very touchy folks over there. I visit the sites of Kansas and Texas occasionally.
I actually appreciate most of what Lone Clone posts. I find his posts informative and sometimes insightful.

Last edited:
Strength of schedule is useless when you aren't trying to play for the championship. I promise you that it does factor into who makes the final four every year. It is asinine to believe any different.

If you want to be a champion you have to think like one and want to play the best.

Or we could just drop out of the big ten and play san jose state and the like every
Phenomenal post. Been saying this for yrs. ferentz wants to pretend like he’s competing when he isn’t. He knows if they played a real schedule, there is no way. Instead, he plays the patty cake non con, hides behind the clown series and prays he gets lucky draws from the east. It has played into his hand beautifully for yrs as many of you fall for the annual charade. He simply has to go 7-5 or 8-4, make a meaningless bowl against another middling team and he gets bonused handsomely, gives a portion to the hospital and continues the aw shucks routine by dropping nfl connections constantly. If he can mix in an occasional upset in the conference, he can ride that for 3-4 yrs. Competing nationally? Give me a break. In saying, we aren’t sexy every chance he gets, sine reporter should have the guts to continue to ask him why and never give up until he throws you out of the press room which wouldn’t be long as tou would have finally struck the nerve and exposed him

You are right that strength of schedule is useless, but if people want to complain all the time about how horrible it is that the Hawks have to face the Clones every year because ISU sucks so bad, then ISU just as well not suck so bad and have the games mean something on a national level then right?
They never will

Why do you guys take part in them?
Ya, being a hawkeye but yet a public forum, i just cant abide any unjust cyclone bashing or hawkeye hype, and want to provide an alternate point of view outside da conventional hawkeye thinking. ;)

There are some good reasonable posters, but also a good dose of wackadoos too. ;)

Reactions: GoIowaBlackKnight
Why do you guys take part in them?
Ya, being a hawkeye but yet a public forum, i just cant abide any unjust cyclone bashing or hawkeye hype, and want to provide an alternate point of view outside da conventional hawkeye thinking. ;)

There are some good reasonable posters, but also a good dose of wackadoos too. ;)
What could have possibly tipped you off that you are providing an alternative point of view on a Hawkeye site? I mean what Hawkeye fan won’t jump on a bus full of unjust clone hype and Hawkeye bashing? Isn’t that why most go to Hawkeye report?!

Reactions: HerkyFan
Just moving back to Iowa after living in Missouri for 22 yrs, I'm starting to get use to seeing about as many clone fans in town as Hawk fans. In Missouri I would see very few Missouri Tiger fans but a ton of Cardinal fans. I think the competition for fans is great. I would hope ISU would be good every yr, and Iowa beats them every yr. It only makes Iowa's strength of schedule look better. Bitching about Iowa's non-conference schedule has been going on even back to the Fry days. I believe Fry would put some good teams on the schedule when he 1st got to Iowa to help put Iowa football on the map. After they improved a lesser schedule was brought in. As far as strength of schedule goes, look at who most of the SEC schools play on their non-conference schedules. I also believe now that the Big 10 plays a 9 game conference schedule, the non-conference teams aren't as important as past yrs.

Reactions: buchs
Just moving back to Iowa after living in Missouri for 22 yrs, I'm starting to get use to seeing about as many clone fans in town as Hawk fans. In Missouri I would see very few Missouri Tiger fans but a ton of Cardinal fans. I think the competition for fans is great. I would hope ISU would be good every yr, and Iowa beats them every yr. It only makes Iowa's strength of schedule look better. Bitching about Iowa's non-conference schedule has been going on even back to the Fry days. I believe Fry would put some good teams on the schedule when he 1st got to Iowa to help put Iowa football on the map. After they improved a lesser schedule was brought in. As far as strength of schedule goes, look at who most of the SEC schools play on their non-conference schedules. I also believe now that the Big 10 plays a 9 game conference schedule, the non-conference teams aren't as important as past yrs.
Actually, Fry inherited a tough schedule and immediately softened it, and he didn’t hesitate to say he was doing it. His first season he played Oklahoma, Nebraska and ISU, .(which had gone 8-3 each of the previous three years.)

I'm not sure "flippant" would be the word....

Phenomenal post. Been saying this for yrs. ferentz wants to pretend like he’s competing when he isn’t. He knows if they played a real schedule, there is no way. Instead, he plays the patty cake non con, hides behind the clown series and prays he gets lucky draws from the east. It has played into his hand beautifully for yrs as many of you fall for the annual charade. He simply has to go 7-5 or 8-4, make a meaningless bowl against another middling team and he gets bonused handsomely, gives a portion to the hospital and continues the aw shucks routine by dropping nfl connections constantly. If he can mix in an occasional upset in the conference, he can ride that for 3-4 yrs. Competing nationally? Give me a break. In saying, we aren’t sexy every chance he gets, sine reporter should have the guts to continue to ask him why and never give up until he throws you out of the press room which wouldn’t be long as tou would have finally struck the nerve and exposed him

How would you know. As you have stated here you’ve haven’t watched Iowa football and the fighting ferentzs for last couple of years. You’re schtick has gotten tired, boring and old

Do you frequent an ISU anonymous message board?

Any chance there is a little over the top Cyclone hype over there with a heavy dose of wackadoos spewing Hawkeye vitriol?

Should I go over and police the circle jerk of cardinal and gold clad mental midgets or should I continue to not give a...rip what our second fiddle players north of Des Moines think?

Guess what? I choose the latter. ;););););););););););););););););););)

We get annoyed by clowns that come here to try and brag when they have no reason to. Just like yesterday. You beat an overranked team that now doesn't have a single vote in either poll. Yay for you.....want a cookie? Not something worth bragging about. Bragging rights for ok and tcu last year? Fine, for ok state.....not so much.

Oh we love your SOS talk to.The team sitting at 2nd in the little 12 couldn't even beat maryland.....
But I'm sure we wont' get any credit for beating them from you guys....

Last edited:
Reactions: iahawks10

Please tell me how Alabama’s SOS included them last season..... I’ll wait.

Playoff committee cares about who you beat and who you lost to. Obviously, that factors in with the SOS, but you didn’t see a Mercer win excluding Alabama at any point. Neither would beating a 2-10 ISU team for the Hawks most years.

I’m saying Iowa would be better off if ISU was a non factor in college football. I don’t believe one game out of 12 would have that big of an impact on the SOS, as long as Iowa took care of their own business in the field.

Nor would it make me anymore or less proud of the state I come from if ISU was a perennial top 25 team.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Playoff committee cares about who you beat and who you lost to. Obviously, that factors in with the SOS, but you didn’t see a Mercer win excluding Alabama at any point. Neither would beating a 2-10 ISU team for the Hawks most years.

The primary mission of the playoff committee is putting the four BEST teams into the playoff. That doesn't necessarily mean the four most deserving teams. That makes it different from the BCS system, and IMO, superior. A lot of people were pissed that Alabama was chosen over Ohio State, but the committee's decision proved to be the correct one when Alabama won it all. The bottom line is that Alabama is granted leniency where almost all other schools aren't. And for now, that's how it should be.

Reactions: iahawks10
I used to be a fairly strong proponent of hoping ISU won when not playing Iowa. Posters like btown and wodanellidacy have made that difficult.

I agree completely. Football forums have ruined any respect I had for Iowa State in any regard. I realize that it’s unwise to allow the opinions of a few morons to change my entire view of ISU, but frankly, I can’t help it. I hope the Big 12 collapses and ISU becomes a mid-major program. And that the Cy-Hawk game is cancelled for eternity.

I have never visited another school's forum before. I honestly hope that you guys do well except when you're playing Iowa. Since we play annually it is good for both teams to get quality wins and it helps the strength of schedule. I think it would be a great thing for the state if both of the Iowa schools were in the top 25 every year in every sport. I think people would be even prouder of the state if that were the case. I would rather spend my energy rooting for teams than talking trash. I know this isn't a common opinion, but I don't care.
I share your opinion good sir

I agree completely. Football forums have ruined any respect I had for Iowa State in any regard. I realize that it’s unwise to allow the opinions of a few morons to change my entire view of ISU, but frankly, I can’t help it. I hope the Big 12 collapses and ISU becomes a mid-major program. And that the Cy-Hawk game is cancelled for eternity.
This

The primary mission of the playoff committee is putting the four BEST teams into the playoff. That doesn't necessarily mean the four most deserving teams. That makes it different from the BCS system, and IMO, superior. A lot of people were pissed that Alabama was chosen over Ohio State, but the committee's decision proved to be the correct one when Alabama won it all. The bottom line is that Alabama is granted leniency where almost all other schools aren't. And for now, that's how it should be.

This is also the correct answer. I agree the committee nailed it last season with Alabama (as much as that sucks to say). Any hope OSU had of the CFP was left on the turf in Iowa City.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT