ADVERTISEMENT

ISU's offensive skill players LIGHTYEARS better than Iowa's

Letsgohawks411

HB All-State
Feb 15, 2015
Our running backs can get the tough yards but no game breakers. Our WR's are slow and our offensive coordinator and head coach are stuck in 1986. Puke.

ISU has a few players, but don't get all bent outta shape. Who was the better receiver today: Lazard or Vandeberg? I like guys who can catch. Our guys are doin' that pretty well. The biggest problem isn't the personnel, as usual, its the offensive scheme of those masterminds KF and GD. The kids won in spite of the coaching staff again today. It seems pretty clear that's what they'll have to keep on doing for the foreseeable future. And that's a shame.

I disagree with your post and headline of this thread. If you put Iowa skill players against say Ohio State or some other teams, then maybe. However, this is a team game and the program needs to dig out starting this year to see results in recruiting of "skill player type" you mentioned. I think only Lazard would qualify as that level BTW. I will take Hawkeye #89 all day this year.

You are clueless. How do I know? Because I read pure bullshit like this. VandeBerg is the best WR in the stadium today.
He WAS the most targeted and made the most catches. He had a helluva game for sure. Smith is a better receiver, IMO (and most I would suspect). Smith makes a GREAT catch in the end zone for 6, then gets 1 more target in the game! Maybe he can't get open? Very odd. But then nothing Iowa does on Offense surprises me anymore.

ISU has a few players, but don't get all bent outta shape. Who was the better receiver today: Lazard or Vandeberg? I like guys who can catch. Our guys are doin' that pretty well. The biggest problem isn't the personnel, as usual, its the offensive scheme of those masterminds KF and GD. The kids won in spite of the coaching staff again today. It seems pretty clear that's what they'll have to keep on doing for the foreseeable future. And that's a shame.

Yeah, you're right...in a team game, the Iowa coaches totally turned their backs in the 2nd half...

It's more attrition than recruiting. GD recruited a lot of talented WR who are no longer with the program, and KF gave up several schollies that would have gone to OL to get them. What we have left are the kids that get good grades and keep their noses clean.

He WAS the most targeted and made the most catches. He had a helluva game for sure. Smith is a better receiver, IMO (and most I would suspect). Smith makes a GREAT catch in the end zone for 6, then gets 1 more target in the game! Maybe he can't get open? Very odd. But then nothing Iowa does on Offense surprises me anymore.

Maybe the fact that Smith is Iowa's best WR is drawing more coverage, and MVB is good enough to get open one-on-one. How will Pitt (and other future opponents) adjust? Will they slide a LB out, bring a safety down, or play more nickel? There's a good chance that defensive adjustments will yield more opportunities for TS (and/or the running game). He's a very good player, and will have some great games before the season is over.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Those at the game today was Smith doubled a lot. Vandeberg abused the ISU db's all day.

Overall I was very impressed with Vandenburg today and Canzeri showed a lot if guts. Vandenburg is not a speedster, but has a knack for getting open. If that continues, it may open some space for Smith. However, I stand by the statement that our rb and wr recruiting has been very subpar for the past several years.

Folks have to remember that Iowa was playing with a "limited" deck ... our top 2 receiving TEs have been out with injury. Furthermore, with Daniels out with an ankle issue for a chunk of the game and Mitchell being dinged ... we weren't featuring a full complement at RB either.

All the same - with Beathard at the helm and with an improving OL - we still got the victory!

Um, skill players includes more than just wide receivers. ISU has a better collection of wide receivers, I just listed all of their position units that are better than Iowa's.

OP, you seem dumb.

Our running backs can get the tough yards but no game breakers. Our WR's are slow and our offensive coordinator and head coach are stuck in 1986. Puke.
Wrong again! They don't have a runningback anywhere near as good as Daniels or Canzeri , and Vandenberg was the best receiver on the field today. You really are a lousy troll, or should I say a l-ames troll. Go Hawks!

Overall I was very impressed with Vandenburg today and Canzeri showed a lot if guts. Vandenburg is not a speedster, but has a knack for getting open. If that continues, it may open some space for Smith. However, I stand by the statement that our rb and wr recruiting has been very subpar for the past several years.
That's an impressive misspelling.

Running back is a skill position. What did ISU have on the ground? 62 yards vs 260 for Iowa. Yes, ISU had a lot of yards in the air - first half only. What a difference that a little pressure can do. At half I was wondering how Iowa was going to stop the ISU passing attack and if the Hawks were going to be able to balance out their offense in the air, but the coaches made some good adjustments and the O and D line really stepped up. Outside of the fake FG attempt, which was a head scratcher, play calling on both sides of the ball was solid, certainly better than the boy wonder in Razorback land.

image.png

I'll take a "slow white guy" that catches the ball every time. Lazard can't say the same as he dropped a few. And Lazard got tackled in open field on a punt return by a "slow white receiver".

Your OP is incorrect.

On what do you base your statement that "Vandenberg (misspelled) is not a speedster"? He didn't have any trouble outrunning the ISU DB for the bomb from near our goal line to midfield. He's faster than many people realize. He runs good routes, but he's quite athletic, too.

So you stand by the statement that "our rb and wr recruiting has (sic) been very subpar for the past several years" -- but that wasn't your statement. Your statement to begin the thread was that "ISU's offensive skill players are LIGHTYEARS better than Iowa's" -- which is demonstrably false. ISU has good WR's, but Iowa's looked just as good to me yesterday. Our QB and RB's are clearly better, IMO.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I'll take a "slow white guy" that catches the ball every time. Lazard can't say the same as he dropped a few. And Lazard got tackled in open field on a punt return by a "slow white receiver".

Vandeberg = Hinkle, another slow white guy that caught everything thrown at him. My gosh people, give it a rest, WE WON!!

As the cliche goes......

Stop saying Vandeberg isn't fast. He's fast, that's his deal. If you want to criticize his game based on his physical attributes, talk about his size. He's fast.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT