ADVERTISEMENT

It’s a new era in Hawkeye Land!!! - FSU fan thread to discuss Hawkeye football

Please leave after this season, Kirk.

I’m not a “Go for it on 4th down!!” guy, but you have a QB in a DE’s body, with MSU down two of their best defenders FOR THE NEXT PLAY. And he opts for the FG.
Lots to look forward to next year with Oregon, USC, UCLA, Michigan, PSU, Wisconsin, and OSU all in the schedule pool. Might only win 2 games in conference.

Hawks won and I will always want that vs the alternative, but I posted something very similar to this in the game thread on the football forum, at the end of the 3rdQ ........

MSU learned their head coach had officially been fired for the sexual harassment charge the day before the game. MSU learned that their NIL collective and deals ended the day before the game. MSU had some injuries at key positions coming in to this game. MSU had allowed a lot of yards and points in the last two games, in E. Lansing.

Yet MSU was up 16-13 after 3Q. In Iowa City.

Thanks Kirk (& Brian, by default). Truly. Thank you. For putting Brian & your family first, for being too stubborn to change your football philosophies - especially about offense - and for holding on too long and not stepping down when the going was best.

His left leg this time. Wonder if it was tired of overcompensating for the bum wheel. I hope it's just a sprain.

Iowa radio during the game said it looked like his foot was planted and he fell awkwardly and had about 500 pounds land on top of his leg. By planted, I took it to mean foot stuck in the field turf. That stuff doesn’t give like natural grass.

• Sad
Reactions: hawkdave007
I might be in the minority but even if Cade can go. Deacon Hill is the QB that Iowa needs and can win with.
I’m with you. He pushes the ball down the field, and this offense only works with a QB that has the balls and arm strength to target deeper routes. He reminds me of Stanley.

It’s amazing, three years in a row now where the backup QB comes in and we see passes going to different parts of the field.

Hill needs to be more careful with it, but I like the toolkit. We can win games with him at QB. But holy shit, he needs help from his receivers.

Bunch of freaking Sallys in our fanbase. I especially liked the morons cheering “Fire Brian” after a wide receiver dropped like a 15 yard first down reception on a great play call 🙄 Morons.

Iowa overcame a ton of adversity, played hard and made big plays.

All the big problems look to be mostly execution based and fixable.

Bummer about Cade but I like seeing a fully healthy QB out there. I think Big Deac at 100% might be a bit better than a 75% or less Cade.

I liked that Iowa got the WRs involved - dudes gotta secure the catches! I like the 2nd and 3rd string backs but they gotta not fumble!

Get Kaleb and Jazz back and get all first team reps for Deacon and this team can still win 9-10 games. Shit, the defense doesn’t give up touchdowns! Don’t need a good offense - just one that gets out of its own way and can score over 20 points. Eminently achievable.

Reactions: gohawks50
Bunch of freaking Sallys in our fanbase. I especially liked the morons cheering “Fire Brian” after a wide receiver dropped like a 15 yard first down reception on a great play call 🙄 Morons.

Bummer about Cade but I like seeing a fully healthy QB out there. I think Big Deac at 100% might be a bit better than a 75% or less Cade.

I liked that Iowa got the WRs involved - dudes gotta secure the catches! I like the 2nd and 3rd string backs but they gotta not fumble!

Get Kaleb and Jazz back and get all first team reps for Deacon and this team can still win 9-10 games. Shit, the defense doesn’t give up touchdowns! Don’t need a good offense - just one that gets out of its own way and can score over 20 points. Eminently achievable.
While I agree…I just can’t do this Ferentz family thing anymore. I hope this is the last season of it.

Reactions: HawkBall23
I gotta admit, Hill - for a guy both new to the system and having not playing any meaningful game action in nearly 3 calendar years - looked good out there. Poised in the pocket, definitely has (for an Iowa QB) rare arm strength, and wasn't afraid of the moment.

A few bad decisions - but given the circumstances (and allowing there were far too many drops) he looked quite good. And what's more, you can see how the playbook has potential to be a LOT more dynamic because of that arm strength.

We're gonna have to live with the mistakes such as staring down receivers (normal for a 1st time QB) and him making unwise throws into coverage (big arm QB's tend to believe they can squeeze a throw into the smallest of openings...and we all know Iowa receivers usually have tough times getting themselves open). But stretching the field looks a lot more doable now and that has to help the running game some.

We just have to have some faith that Brian can figure out a game plan that plays to Hill's strengths and that Kirk doesn't put handcuffs on that. And yes I know those two wishes are asking a LOT here...but honestly what else is there to hope for.

All that being said, it's time to bring on Purdue!

Man one offensive TD at home vs one of the lower level power conference D's is a really bad sign. Torbee u can't write this off as an anomaly anymore. The years of grinding out 8+4 plus seasons are coming to an end.

Let's face it, Iowa' offense is built around the punter.

You applying for the Iowa SID role or something?

You're a real "glass half full" kinda guy, aren't you?

Man one offensive TD at home vs one of the lower level power conference D's is a really bad sign. Torbee u can't write this off as an anomaly anymore. The years of grinding out 8+4 plus seasons are coming to an end.
Down a starting QB, top two running backs, best pass catcher and a first year starter QB in his first ever Big 10 action. And terrible field position most of the night with several turnovers.

That is being significantly hamstringed on that side of the hall and they found a way to win by double digits.

Good coaching.

Down a starting QB, top two running backs, best pass catcher and a first year starter QB in his first ever Big 10 action. And terrible field position most of the night with several turnovers.

That is being significantly hamstringed on that side of the hall and they found a way to win by double digits.

Good coaching.
Good special teams and D coaching. Offensive coaching is really really bad. Even with the injuries the OL should have been able to knock Sparty's block off. They'll still grind out a winning season here. But time to adapt or Iowa will become Vanderbilt or ISU in the BIG.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT