ADVERTISEMENT

It’s time for computers to pick brackets!

Razorhawk2

HB MVP
Feb 9, 2016
It’s time for the selection committee to be eliminated. Bunch of suits sitting around a table scratching each other’s back. Terrible job seeding the BIG and that was even alluded to on BTN selection show. With today’s technology a program could be designed that selects and seeds teams with out bias. They say one moment it’s the whole seasons body of work and the next they say they use the eye test then it’s how they finished the season. These guys aren’t basketball experts and I know deals get made regardless if an AD steps out of the room when his team is discussed. They use this NET program...well build an EXTREME NET PLUS. The statistics and technology is available and doable. Let’s get rid of these backroom deal making cronies.

Last edited:
The ACC gets the top 3 number 1 seeds. MSU has like 18 quad 1 wins gets Duke the number 1 seed to make final 4. Oh and their in the same 8 team bracket with Minnesota and Maryland after a 20 game conference season. Oh and MSU and Michigan playing on Thursday after playing in the last game on Sunday. Oh and 3 other BIG teams in another bracket while only 1 team in the other 2 brackets. Oh and one of those teams Ohio State is an 11 seed playing 6 seeded Iowa State the Big 12 tournament champ. Seems like the committee wanted to eliminate as many BIG teams they could in the shortest period of time. ACC biased in my opinion.

If you were going just by computers it’s highly unlikely OSU even gets in. Their numbers were pretty bad.

When you look at old RPI vs. NET, the big 10 made out great.

Computers don't guarantee anything. Biased input yields biased output. Or as they've been saying for a while now, garbage in, garbage out (GIGO).

Maybe hire some geeks from Mongolia who have no knowledge of or interest in college basketball to develop an objective algorithm. But yah, committees are not exactly brilliant. Every year, football and basketball, they spin it one way to explain one inexplicable team, and then spin it the opposite way to explain another. They do what they want and then spin like an Olympic ice skating champion.

Reactions: anon_likibb9jzd3e0
I sure am glad Iowa made the Big Dance this year, so I could read several threads about how much the NCAA Committee sucks. Really missed those threads the past few years.

Computers don't guarantee anything. Biased input yields biased output. Or as they've been saying for a while now, garbage in, garbage out (GIGO).

Maybe hire some geeks from Mongolia who have no knowledge of or interest in college basketball to develop an objective algorithm. But yah, committees are not exactly brilliant. Every year, football and basketball, they spin it one way to explain one inexplicable team, and then spin it the opposite way to explain another. They do what they want and then spin like an Olympic ice skating champion.
Give MIT a grant to develop the program. The point is that basketball has all the statistics you need to rate the best teams 1 through 68.

I sure am glad Iowa made the Big Dance this year, so I could read several threads about how much the NCAA Committee sucks. Really missed those threads the past few years.

Good point.

But that doesn't change the fact, that they do indeed, suck.

Reactions: Razorhawk2
tenor.gif

If you were going just by computers it’s highly unlikely OSU even gets in. Their numbers were pretty bad.

When you look at old RPI vs. NET, the big 10 made out great.

B1G didn't need computers to make out great in the First Round, especially OSU, eh?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT