ADVERTISEMENT

"It’s time to say it: the US supreme court has become an illegitimate institution" - Do You Agree?

Rate SCOTUS's legitimacy. Then indicate if you think overturning Roe improved or hurt its legitimacy

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland

It’s time to say it: the US supreme court has become an illegitimate institution

With its decision on Roe v Wade, the court has signaled its illegitimacy – and thrown the American project into question

As of 24 June 2022, the US supreme court should officially be understood as an illegitimate institution – a tool of minority rule over the majority, and as part of a far-right ideological and authoritarian takeover that must be snuffed out if we want American democracy to survive.

more here:

The court became illegitimate when the court and specifically Roberts ruled the Bush v. Gore decision ONLY pertains to one case and is not to be used in any other circumstance. One can argue whether the case was decided rightly or wrongly but to limit the outcome to that one instance is completely absurd. IMHO, I could be wrong.

It is clearly a political tool now and is not judging cases based on their legal merit but on far right wing think tank opinions. But that's by design.

You liberals are a funny bunch. You get rulings you don’t like and all of a sudden the court becomes illegitimate.

This should always have been a state issue, there is nothing in the constitution protecting abortion rights.

You liberals are a funny bunch. You get rulings you don’t like and all of a sudden the court becomes illegitimate.

This should always have been a state issue, there is nothing in the constitution protecting abortion rights.
It's called the fourth amendment, but it's not unusual for conservatives to pick and choose which amendments they pay attention to, kind of like they do with their Christianity.

And the court is illegitimate because 5 of the Justices should not be there. The rulings are a consequence of that.

JANUARY 6TH. HOLY SHIT.
STOP THE STEAL.

The ruling comes after SCOTUS nominees lied during confirmation hearings about RvW having precedence. It's also blatantly unAmerican and unconstitutional for SCOTUS justices to go to the Christian bank for public policy in a secular nation.

Shit y'all care less about.

JANUARY 6TH. HOLY SHIT.
STOP THE STEAL.

The ruling comes after SCOTUS nominees lied during confirmation hearings about RvW having precedence. It's also blatantly unAmerican and unconstitutional for SCOTUS justices to go to the Christian bank for public policy in a secular nation.

Christianity is the only religion that frowns on abortion?

I didn't know that....

Honestly, it wasn't put in the Constitution because it was part of English common law, which the founder specifically said wouldn't be addressed in the Constitution. Why? Because they considered English common law to be, well, common and they didn't think anything laid out in it needed to be addressed because it was settled.

Of course, the Founders also didn't expect the Constitution to still be in use 233 years later, either. They would have expected it to have been completely rewritten anytime society has progressed to the point where major changes were needed.

Ex. The 2nd Amendment should have been removed after The Militia Act of 1903 created the National Guard as an official, permanent replacement for state militias.

Another Ex. Instead of "granting rights" to blacks after the Emancipation Proclamation on a piecemeal basis, the Constitution should have been rewritten in a way that included blacks in every way instead of Amended 3 or 4 times to increase their "rights".

But, then again, our country has shown again and again that it really doesn't like doing the right thing for the majority of it's people unless it really has no other choice.

Oh, and for the "originalists" out there, the Founders would probably completely disagree with how you view the Constitution. They thought it should reflect the times the country is currently in, not how a bunch of dudes who couldn't see the future thought things should be in 1789.

LOL, Roe created a constitutional "right" out of thin air.

Talk about illegitimate.
Wish I could like this three or four times.

Roe was a garbage decision that was finally rectified. Let the people decide. If you want abortion protected by the federal constitution then propose an amendment. Having the SCOTUS willy nilly interpreting the constitution to suit their preferred outcome puts all of our rights at risk.

To the OP, SCOTUS has lost, and is probably completely illegitimate, because 4 of them flatly lied under oath to Congress (a crime) and another is married to, and probably complicit in, an insurrectionist.

Wish I could like this three or four times.

Roe was a garbage decision that was finally rectified. Let the people decide. If you want abortion protected by the federal constitution then propose an amendment. Having the SCOTUS willy nilly interpreting the constitution to suit their preferred outcome puts all of our rights at risk.

Let the people decide...

How many people in this country support Roe again? Here's a hint, those who don't are behind by something like 40%. So again, minority rules, just like a bunch of POTUS elections, gun control laws, national health care, and a bunch of other things the majority want, but can't get.

Christianity is the only religion that frowns on abortion?

I didn't know that....
Christianity is the only religion that's overstepped its constitution boundaries. Not seeing that is one thing, seeing it and not saying anything is disgraceful.

Reactions: nelly02
Wahhhhh😭😭 the Supreme Court doesn’t agree with my ignorant opinions, they must be declared illegitimate. I know this 90% liberal leaning message board might make you clowns think that you’re in the majority, but you’re not even close. I mean you have to know that right?

Let the people decide...

How many people in this country support Roe again? Here's a hint, those who don't are behind by something like 40%. So again, minority rules, just like a bunch of POTUS elections, gun control laws, national health care, and a bunch of other things the majority want, but can't get.
Well popular vote or polling is not how we amend the constitution.

Christianity is the only religion that's overstepped its constitution boundaries. Not seeing that is one thing, seeing it and not saying anything is disgraceful.
Lol what does this even mean? Christianity doesn’t have boundaries. We put aside our beliefs for your ignorance? Try again. Liberals really, REALLY struggle with personal responsibility. Everything is always someone else’s fault. I’m really curious about the pathetic households you guys learned your values in. Victims till the end.

Lol what does this even mean? Christianity doesn’t have boundaries. We put aside our beliefs for your ignorance? Try again. Liberals really, REALLY struggle with personal responsibility. Everything is always someone else’s fault. I’m really curious about the pathetic households you guys learned your values in. Victims till the end.
Our constitution has boundaries.

Please.

Personal responsibility says the maskless insurrectionist.

YOU put aside YOUR beliefs when it comes to society. Now **** off.
They’re not my beliefs. They’re the truth. Once again, I’m not sacrificing truth for ignorance. Just because YOU can’t figure it out doesn’t mean I have to be a dipshit with you.

I think it’s illegitimate independent of the Roe flip. The country is not 66% conservative, 33% liberal. The judiciary at that level should be maintained as much as possible to reflect the citizenry. When we have a POTUS denied his ability to nominate and appoint a justice to an empty seat, Then a POTUS elected while losing the popular vote gets three nominations, and, while supposedly tasked with representing the entire citizenry, appoints three conservatives to the three empty seats, not just disrepresenting the citizenry but making the court fully disrepresentative as well.

This is a clear flaw in our system, and invites very fair questioning of the legitimacy of that institution.

Not that the Supreme Court was all that great to begin with. It's mainly the Warren Court that has the reputation of doing good work. Those of us who grew up in that era are inclined to think that SCOTUS is a force for good. But as this book and recent events clearly show, that era was an aberration - one the current Court seems intent on reversing.

Reactions: TheCainer
JANUARY 6TH. HOLY SHIT.
STOP THE STEAL.

And yet still more legitimate than congress, whose only job is to avoid making decisions in order to get re-elected.

How many wars have we been in without war declarations? How many budgets have been avoided to avoid making hard decisions? How many needless Benghazi/ Steroid witch trials have there been to allow congresspeople to grandstand? How many mass shootings have happened without a bit of action? How many millions of illegals with tons of deadly drugs and guns need to enter the country before something is done about it?

The SCOTUS may be shit but it’s miles ahead of the other two branches. They don’t hide under their desks.

Lol and what does 40 rednecks have to do with the rest of us? I’m responsible everytime another Christian or conservative does something dumb?
It was 5 rednecks and they took freedom away from every American woman. American society only works when we keep our personal beliefs on how other's should live to ourselves. Abortion is strictly a wedge issue, you could give a shit if your neighbor has an abortion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT