ADVERTISEMENT

"It’s time to say it: the US supreme court has become an illegitimate institution" - Do You Agree?

Rate SCOTUS's legitimacy. Then indicate if you think overturning Roe improved or hurt its legitimacy

• Total voters
And yet still more legitimate than congress, whose only job is to avoid making decisions in order to get re-elected.
You are describing the actions and intentions of most Republicans and some Democrats.

Shame on them, but that's not nearly as bad as becoming the anti-democracy tool that SCOTUS has become.

And yet still more legitimate than congress, whose only job is to avoid making decisions in order to get re-elected.

How many wars have we been in without war declarations? How many budgets have been avoided to avoid making hard decisions? How many needless Benghazi/ Steroid witch trials have there been to allow congresspeople to grandstand? How many mass shootings have happened without a bit of action? How many millions of illegals with tons of deadly drugs and guns need to enter the country before something is done about it?

The SCOTUS may be shit but it’s miles ahead of the other two branches. They don’t hide under their desks.
Congress allowed under God to invade our secular nation in 1954. From my point of view, Congress initiated the Christian invasion into American society.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
You are describing the actions and intentions of most Republicans and some Democrats.

Shame on them, but that's not nearly as bad as becoming the anti-democracy tool that SCOTUS has become.
Sure. But ultimately I’m talking about the branch and it’s most recent behavior and effectiveness. If a branch of our government can be held hostage by a minority like congress has been, then it’s certainly less legitimate than a branch that allows the majority to make decisions like the SCOTUS.

Sure. But ultimately I’m talking about the branch and it’s most recent behavior and effectiveness. If a branch of our government can be held hostage by a minority like congress has been, then it’s certainly less legitimate than a branch that allows the majority to make decisions like the SCOTUS.

Congress has a lot of problems, and the country should be seriously considering making some changes to it.

But Scotus is worse, the nutjobs in Congress are elected and at least have accountability. Scotus is an appointed position and they have virtually no accountability.

Reactions: blhawk
Congress has a lot of problems, and the country should be seriously considering making some changes to it.

But Scotus is worse, the nutjobs in Congress are elected and at least have accountability. Scotus is an appointed position and they have virtually no accountability.
Confirmed by who?

They’re not my beliefs. They’re the truth. Once again, I’m not sacrificing truth for ignorance. Just because YOU can’t figure it out doesn’t mean I have to be a dipshit with you.
Lol. "My made up sky fairy has a beard and cares if you jack off. That's THE TRUTH, no if ands or butts!" Too bad your god is such a whiny little bitch, though it's fitting for his followers.
Nevertheless, I applaud the screen name.

How many wars have we been in without war declarations? How many budgets have been avoided to avoid making hard decisions? How many needless Benghazi/ Steroid witch trials have there been to allow congresspeople to grandstand? How many mass shootings have happened without a bit of action? How many millions of illegals with tons of deadly drugs and guns need to enter the country before something is done about it?
Good examples, except maybe the last one.

Good examples, except maybe the last one.
How many congresspeople have traveled to the border in their little white outfits to get photos of them crying, calling it a “concentration camp” only to come home and not do shot about it? The last one fits fine. Unless you think nothing should be done about concentration camps.

You liberals are a funny bunch. You get rulings you don’t like and all of a sudden the court becomes illegitimate.

This should always have been a state issue, there is nothing in the constitution protecting abortion rights.

1:3 of the court was appointed by a man who tried to over throw the US government. How exactly is the court still legitimate?

Reactions: nelly02
How many congresspeople have traveled to the border in their little white outfits to get photos of them crying, calling it a “concentration camp” only to come home and not do shot about it? The last one fits fine. Unless you think nothing should be done about concentration camps.
Your focus on drugs, guns and illegals was what I objected to. You didn't mention the treatment of refugees and asylum seekers. That part I agree with, now that you've shifted to that criticism.

Your focus on drugs, guns and illegals was what I objected to. You didn't mention the treatment of refugees and asylum seekers. That part I agree with, now that you've shifted to that criticism.
Gotcha. However, Accidental fentanyl deaths have replaced suicide as the number one killer (preventable deaths) of the 20-24 demographic. It’s coming from Mexico. Seems like something that should be addressed by keeping it out.

Reactions: Speedway1
Gotcha. However, Accidental fentanyl deaths have replaced suicide as the number one killer (preventable deaths) of the 20-24 demographic. It’s coming from Mexico. Seems like something that should be addressed by keeping it out.
From what I've heard, fentanyl is coming from lots of places. It's definitely a problem. But even a Wall wouldn't keep it out.

Operationally, you have a point. But both Congress and the Court are currently controlled by a minority. Thanks in significant part to bad decisions by SCOTUS - especially those empowering corporate and plutocratic wealth to commandeer most of both parties, and much of the conduct of our elections.

Operationally, you have a point. But both Congress and the Court are currently controlled by a minority. Thanks in significant part to bad decisions by SCOTUS - especially those empowering corporate and plutocratic wealth to commandeer most of both parties, and much of the conduct of our elections.
I’m not talking political majority. I’m talking about decision making majority. EVERY decision a majority of the robes takes come to fruition. That is rarely the case with congress. Even if it’s a large majority sometimes. 90% of the country wants background checks. Yet we can’t get 60% of those elected by that 90% to do even that. How much more illegitimate can you get?

I’m not talking political majority. I’m talking about decision making majority. EVERY decision a majority of the robes takes come to fruition. That is rarely the case with congress. Even if it’s a large majority sometimes. 90% of the country wants background checks. Yet we can’t get 60% of those elected by that 90% to do even that. How much more illegitimate can you get?

We already have background checks.

We already have background checks.
Universal background checks

Proposals for universal background checks would require almost all firearms transactions in the United States to be recorded and go through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, closing what is sometimes called the gun show loophole.

I think it’s fine to be mad at the court but IMO it’s dangerous to start using words like illegitimate just because they issued a decision that many don’t like. It sounds like the Trumpers claiming the election was stolen and Biden is not the real president. If the Court came down with a big gun control decision I sure wouldn’t want the 2A crazies to say the Court is illegitimate.

I believe if we keep up this trend of undermining our institutions because they sometimes go against what we’d prefer, some day we’ll no longer have a functioning country.

It’s time to say it: the US supreme court has become an illegitimate institution

With its decision on Roe v Wade, the court has signaled its illegitimacy – and thrown the American project into question

As of 24 June 2022, the US supreme court should officially be understood as an illegitimate institution – a tool of minority rule over the majority, and as part of a far-right ideological and authoritarian takeover that must be snuffed out if we want American democracy to survive.

more here:

It happened when the filibuster was removed from confirmation of district court judges, and subsequently Supreme Court judges. Rather that needing to get 60 votes, meaning at least some buy in from the other side, you can appoint far right or far left leaning judges and get them seated with a simple majority.

So yes, the Supreme Court, and the District courts are either headed for illegitimacy or are already there. Thanks Harry and Mitch.

Reactions: srams21
Fair point, but I'd call it a tie on gun control.

You liberals are a funny bunch. You get rulings you don’t like and all of a sudden the court becomes illegitimate.

This should always have been a state issue, there is nothing in the constitution protecting abortion rights.
Truth.

Weird. So why does Japan restrict abortion after 22 weeks? Didn't realize there were that many Bible thumpers there.

I'm sure you're probably being dismissive of it with this comment, but the history of Christianity in Japan is fascinating.

It happened when the filibuster was removed from confirmation of district court judges, and subsequently Supreme Court judges. Rather that needing to get 60 votes, meaning at least some buy in from the other side, you can appoint far right or far left leaning judges and get them seated with a simple majority.

So yes, the Supreme Court, and the District courts are either headed for illegitimacy or are already there. Thanks Harry and Mitch.
The direction of the courts and country started well before 2005.

Last edited:
Probably. I take it you are not insinuating it has anything to do with its limits on abortion?

I would imagine it plays some roll, it's beyond me to say what how much of a roll. It's just an interesting piece of history in a very interesting culture.

Like this...I believe somewhere around 60-70% of marriage ceremonies in Japan are Christian, but only about 1-2% identify as faithful Christians.

The fallacy is that abortions will stop if they are made illegal. There will always be abortions, the reason abortions were legalized were due to save lives of young women, which will recur when the ERs begin filling and this cycle of graveyard Republicans die off.

I gave it a 4 for legitimacy. Just because I disagree with aspects or ruling doesn’t make it illegitimate. If they start stacking the court I would move it down to a 1 or 2 as that’s nothing more than a form of gerrymandering because you didn’t get your way.

With regards to RvW, I don’t view that as a factor in deciding legitimacy. It was never clear cut— the original ruling wasn’t unanimous even. I can see the court’s rationale in overturning— whether I agree with it or not.

Can you explain it in a way that makes it sound reasonable?
It was in their decision. Basically, in my unprofessional opinion, they said the prior ruling was an overreach by the federal government as nothing of note in the constitution gives them the right to make the decision they did at the federal level. They didn’t make it illegal, just stated it was a state issue.

ADVERTISEMENT