ADVERTISEMENT

It really is all about the rebounding...

jonesy5960

HR Legend
Sep 6, 2012
Iowa's offense is great. They set records today by making shots. It was incredible. What's even more impressive to me is the improvement in rebounding. That improvement resulted in a 27 rebound margin today which is even more incredible considering where this team was a few months ago. Still undefeated when they win the rebounding battle. Carry that forward and this team will win this tournament and go far in the next.

Rebounding is huge. My HS basketball coach told us that the statistic that is most often won by the winning team is rebounding (other than the score of course).

Well, that was 50 years ago. Maybe I should call him and tell him he was right.

😁

This team developed a junk yard dog edge 3 weeks ago and hasn’t let up. So great to have guards extending, pressure and rebounding.

Rebraca was certainly one of the first to start bringing this attitude on the boards and team has followed suit.
I have been very critical of Fran and this team when it comes to rebounding margin. Especially when they give up offensive boards like it’s their job.

this year was going no different. I even stopped watching a couple of games earlier this year I was so pissed.

I give them a tip of the cap for the last several weeks. So much more fun to watch!!

The improvement in rebounding is really amazing.

They've gone from maybe the worst rebounding iowa team I've seen in a long time to probably the best since the Acie Earl Chris Street days.

Reactions: Chicagoherky71
Iowa's offense is great. They set records today by making shots. It was incredible. What's even more impressive to me is the improvement in rebounding. That improvement resulted in a 27 rebound margin today which is even more incredible considering where this team was a few months ago. Still undefeated when they win the rebounding battle. Carry that forward and this team will win this tournament and go far in the next.
Rebounding wins basketball. It's hard to win a game and lose rebounding.

It helps a great deal when other teams have to aggressively close out on shooters and play help or zone defense. Plus in the Northwestern game you have to miss a shot for the other team to get a rebound lol

Reactions: hawksense
It helps a great deal when other teams have to aggressively close out on shooters and play help or zone defense. Plus in the Northwestern game you have to miss a shot for the other team to get a rebound lol
I agree. It's wasn't just that Iowa shot a great percentage. When they did miss they collected 16 offensive rebounds. I don't have second chance points on hand but it had to be a huge number.

I've been critical of Fran not getting the most out of his teams especially in the rebounding and defense categories. I feel like Fran evolved his coaching this season. This team has completely changed this season after Fran has highlighted those two areas. Makes me have hope for the future. Its how mid level talent teams stay in the top half of conferences and compete with the big boys.

Reactions: jonesy5960
Rebounding wins basketball. It's hard to win a game and lose rebounding.
Yup. I think this team learned some hard lessons during a 3 game losing streak against your Boilers, Illinois and Iowa State and then again soon after at Wisconsin. They were waxed on the boards during all of those losses. Illinois was an embarrassment at -28 in a game they lost by 4.

As of today I think they are 19-0 when they win the boards and 2-9 when they don't. It's become almost the only stat that matters with this team in terms of wins and losses and a reflection of how hard they defend and attack in any given game. When they're doing that their offensive efficiency and turnover margins make them an extremely difficult team to beat.

Rebounding is huge. My HS basketball coach told us that the statistic that is most often won by the winning team is rebounding (other than the score of course).

Well, that was 50 years ago. Maybe I should call him and tell him he was right.

😁
I think mine is doing time in Reno for child abuse.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawk_4shur
ADVERTISEMENT