ADVERTISEMENT

It would an interesting experiment to have a computer call a football game....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Hear me out.

Imagine some head coach without an outsized ego (I know, dreaming) who actually allowed the computer scientists on campus to configure a computer to call the game. Using analytics, the computer would call every play based on the percentage chance of success for each down and distance and game time situation.

Make sure it's an otherwise toss-up game.

I wonder how that would go?

Reactions: Bonerfarts
Hear me out.

Imagine some head coach without an outsized ego (I know, dreaming) who actually allowed the computer scientists on campus to configure a computer to call the game. Using analytics, the computer would call every play based on the percentage chance of success for each down and distance and game time situation.

Make sure it's an otherwise toss-up game.

I wonder how that would go?
Imagine if they could put every play on a laminated sheet and include situational analytics on the sheet and supplement it with a tablet of some sort.

Imagine if they could put every play on a laminated sheet and include situational analytics on the sheet and supplement it with a tablet of some sort.
Nope. None of that. The humans reading the chart will put their bias into it. The computer spits out every play and the coaches have to go with that. It's best if the players don't know this is happening.

Nope. None of that. The humans reading the chart will put their bias into it. The computer spits out every play and the coaches have to go with that. It's best if the players don't know this is happening.
You understand that algorithms aren’t free of human bias, right?

You understand that algorithms aren’t free of human bias, right?

I'm talking analytics. Not algorithms.

The computer will look at millions of games where each particular situation occurred and then calculate the highest probability of success play for every play of the game.

I'm talking analytics. Not algorithms.

The computer will look at millions of games where each particular situation occurred and then calculate the highest probability of success play for every play of the game.
How does the computer determine what’s an analog?

How does the computer determine what’s an analog?

Okay, I'm not a computer science major.

However, everybody is really into analytics today, so lets see what happens if you go all the way with that and get the humans completely out of the play-calling business.

It would be interesting to see what would happen. That's all I'm saying.

Like to see some analytics based on QBs effectiveness in regards to percentage of salary cap.

too many QBs getting big money when they don’t have the skills to lift a team.

Electric-Football-animation-game-in-play-optimized.gif

• Love
Reactions: The Tradition
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT