ADVERTISEMENT

Italy Vacation

Im mixed. I love the city, but there are a lot of other places I'd rather see because i have spent so much time there. You mentioned the top 5 -10, a walking tour of the history of the city would be pretty cool, Medici tours, some more of the museums that were not mentioned....

But the crowds that I saw last month, eff that. I agree with you.
Driving the country side in Tuscany was great, if you can do 3-4 hour stints in a car.
I loved the Ducati Factory / Museum tour outside of Bologna, and the drive to get there, but I know that isn't for everyone.

That said, we did a couple tours this time in Rome, and the lines were just as bad (esp the Vatican).
As a cyclist, my all time favorite day was a tour on my birthday, starting in pienza, climbing up to San quirico (then a descent where I did NOT try to hold the wheel of our guide), a stop at Sant’ antimo (so peaceful), then climb to Montalcino for lunch.

Reactions: Tenacious E
As a cyclist, my all time favorite day was a tour on my birthday, starting in pienza, climbing up to San quirico (then a descent where I did NOT try to hold the wheel of our guide), a stop at Sant’ antimo (so peaceful), then climb to Montalcino for lunch.

We saw a lot of folks on bikes. Dudes (mostly) are nuts! Guess you are too. ;)

It's just too dangerous for me. And I ride motorcycles.

And those "hills" screw that, beast mode at any speed.

So, we’ve been playing around with this trip. We are looking at starting in Venice and working our way down to Rome. Trip for May 23 (land 24th) and return June around 5 or 6 or 5. Venice for the weekend, 4 nights in Tuscany (Lucca), Florence for the weekend 2-3 nights and then Rome.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
So, we’ve been playing around with this trip. We are looking at starting in Venice and working our way down to Rome. Trip for May 23 (land 24th) and return June around 5 or 6 or 5. Venice for the weekend, 4 nights in Tuscany (Lucca), Florence for the weekend 2-3 nights and then Rome.
Good plan. Lucca is a neat area but not sure about 4 nights there. Catholic or not i would also recommend the churchs and towns of assisi and siena- especially basilica of st francis in assisi.

Good plan. Lucca is a neat area but not sure about 4 nights there. Catholic or not i would also recommend the churchs and towns of assisi and siena- especially basilica of st francis in assisi.
There is a resort in the mountains there that I thought we’d use as base camp then travel around Tuscany. But I think you are right

There is a resort in the mountains there that I thought we’d use as base camp then travel around Tuscany. But I think you are right
It's probably already mentioned previously in this long thread, but the statue of David in the Academia in Florence is an absolute must. The highlight of any trip I've ever made to Italy. Headed back to Italy in October. Four days in Tuscany, 5 days in Sicily, 3 days in Malta.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT