It's 100% clear to me that CHA is not the problem after watching the wrestling meet last night

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Those of you who like to bash CHA, hear me out.

Last night was snowy and not everyone could make it to CHA for the Rutgers at Iowa wrestling meet. The crowd was rather small but CHA was pretty damn loud!

Just like at last night's wrestling meet, it's up to the fans to make CHA loud. It's easy to stand up, get loud and go nuts when Iowa goes on a run. BUT, the team obviously is not going to perform perfectly 100% of the game. And when that happens, it does not mean fans should sit down & be quiet. Fans can still be loud as hell ALWAYS when on defense; fans can still be on their feet with "LETS GO HAWKS" chants during time outs. Fans can still BOO LOUD AS HELL when a ref messes up.

It's the fans who make CHA loud and intimidating for BOTH the opposing team AND the refs.

If the refs make an error & the fans give them hell, guess what? A make up call might happen soon thereafter. Why? Because of the fans making CHA a true home court advantage.

This is what CHA was like in the early 1990's. Watch this video from the 1993 Michigan at Iowa game (it's the last 2 minutes of the game & Carver was rocking). This particular Iowa team was far from perfect BUT the fans made CHA come alive. Fans were standing & THEY WERE LOUD.

Watch here (IF YOU WANT, SKIP TO THE 3 MINUTE MARK WHERE THEY SCAN THE CROWD):

Unfortunately, the seats behind the baskets are now pushed back but damn, that arena can get loud.

@TomKakert @Suterman I am interested in your comments on this, too. Thanks.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I watched a YouTube clip of the Wisconsin game from Gatens’ senior year and the place was rocking.

Carver still has plenty of issues but I think the lack of home court advantage is probably fan driven more than anything (i.e. leaving with five mins left).
with wrestling, I think there are a couple factors involved:
* Tickets are cheaper/more affordable
* Iowa wrestling fans are extremely passionate and therefore will be in the meet, on the officials and they will be really loud

I don't know why Iowa basketball fans can't be just like Iowa wrestling fans, where they are into the game, on the officials and really loud. If they were? CHA would be that home court advantage that it was in the 1980's and 1990's.

Reactions: Rustys Dad and HKI

BBHawk

HR Legend
Oct 31, 2001
Iowa City
I go to almost every game at Carver. The issue is more with no-shows/empty seats than anything else. If you have tickets, either show up or make sure that someone who will cheer on the Hawks sits in your seats.if you don't, make an effort to get to at least a few games each year. If every Hawk fan followed this advice, the crowds would be fine!

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I go to almost every game at Carver. The issue is more with no-shows/empty seats than anything else. If you have tickets, either show up or make sure that someone who will cheer on the Hawks sits in your seats.if you don't, make an effort to get to at least a few games each year. If every Hawk fan followed this advice, the crowds would be fine!
keep in mind that last night a VERY SMALL wrestling crowd made CHA pretty loud

MeetTheFerentz

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2006
Carver still has plenty of issues but I think the lack of home court advantage is probably fan driven more than anything.

Couldn't agree more. Carver could certainly use some renovations and reseating, as well as some better crowd entertainment between the action, all of which has been discussed ad nauseam on this board. However, the arena itself is not to blame for the poor atmosphere that is described so much - it has much more to do with the fans and the product on the court. This is the best team we've had in a while, and I hope it will result in improved game-day experiences. I hope the fans (and team) will bring it for Michigan St....I'll be there.

I will add, though, that the OP's video is not exactly typical of what Carver was like in the '90s. That was the "Chris Street game" and by far the loudest game I ever attended at Carver.

Last edited:

Packer54

HR All-American
Mar 30, 2014
When is the last time that Iowa won 4 Big Ten games in a row with a real potential of 5? Iowa fans need to get into a mode of “let’s do this” vs waiting for the floor to drop. These guys deserve it right now. Maybe a little better in game marketing would help as well. I will be loud and proud tomorrow.

HawkDub

HR All-American
Nov 20, 2001
NIT games usually create great environments at Carver. You get regular season ticket holders out of there and get people who want to cheer loud. I went to a game early this year. It was Green Bay who we were playing. I was standing up yelling and cheering and people were looking at me like I was on drugs. It is definitely the normals who are there who are the big issue.

hawkeyeguy69

HR All-American
Oct 1, 2001
Carver obviously has some issues with its design. Mainly, Having no mezzanine. That is just ridiculous. A middle level area for fans to use the can, get something to eat, and/or stretch your legs is a necessity for any venue... It's like if Kinnick had the section entrances on the top row. What the...?

Could they add a midsection? Yes. There are offices they could use on the north side. But consessions/bathrooms on the south side would take some digging... But it is possible... Then take out 4-5 rows and make a walkway around to middle of Carver. With access to both concession/bathroom areas. Then add some much needed elevators.

They really messed up 40 years ago when they went too cheap. They saved a whooping $2 million, for a lifetime of issues. It's not like our fan demographics suddenly changed. Our fanbase has always been older.

AS FOR THE CROWD the issue with noise can still be fixed. Put the first 300-400 students to show to the game on the floor around the baskets. First to come, get the seats... Have general admission right behind that.

For those season ticket holders skipping the games, set something up so tickets can be purchased at Will Call. Good seats for bigtime fans who do not regularly go. Like an NIT game...
That way the rabid fans are on or near the floor.

My two cents

iahawkeyes17

HR Heisman
Apr 22, 2014
1. Winning cures all. When team is ranked like few years ago in uthoffs senior year or when Horner and bru were seniors carver was almost full for every conference game and loud.
2. Students. Use to have large consistent student section especially during davis years. Was good for beginning of Alford but after that lackluster year when recker and Evans were seniors started to drop off and continued to fall until it reached rock bottom during the lickliter years.
3. Compared to wrestling there are fewer meets and that team is usually one of the top teams in the nation every year so an apples to oranges comparison.

Last edited:

Suterman

HR Legend
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2003

Last night was snowy and not everyone could make it to CHA for the Rutgers at Iowa wrestling meet. The crowd was rather small but CHA was pretty damn loud!

Just like at last night's wrestling meet, it's up to the fans to make CHA loud. It's easy to stand up, get loud and go nuts when Iowa goes on a run. BUT, the team obviously is not going to perform perfectly 100% of the game. And when that happens, it does not mean fans should sit down & be quiet. Fans can still be loud as hell ALWAYS when on defense; fans can still be on their feet with "LETS GO HAWKS" chants during time outs. Fans can still BOO LOUD AS HELL when a ref messes up.

It's the fans who make CHA loud and intimidating for BOTH the opposing team AND the refs.

If the refs make an error & the fans give them hell, guess what? A make up call might happen soon thereafter. Why? Because of the fans making CHA a true home court advantage.

This is what CHA was like in the early 1990's. Watch this video from the 1993 Michigan at Iowa game (it's the last 2 minutes of the game & Carver was rocking). This particular Iowa team was far from perfect BUT the fans made CHA come alive. Fans were standing & THEY WERE LOUD.

Unfortunately, the seats behind the baskets are now pushed back but damn, that arena can get loud.

There is no doubt that Carver can get loud, none whatsoever.When the crowd is rockin' it's great.
1) I would like to see the black seats behind the benches as rowdy student seats. It could serve to intimidate our opponents and fire up our players.
2) I would like to have a food court behind the basket opposite the band that has some nice food offerings and sells beer. Get rid of some of those seats and have a nice common area that would add to the festivities and be more of an event.
3) I would like to have a giant tiger hawk outside on the roof of Carver, beautifully illuminated that could be seen from a long way away. It would add to the excitement on the walk into the arena.
4) Make a Grand entrance into Carver that is a walk through Iowa Basketball history. Retired jerseys, photos of Hawkeye greats, trophys etc. This would help get the blood flowing on your way in to Carver.
5) Let the students in for free. The students provide the energy, the blue hairs provide the dollars. You must have both.

I like these ideas and I think they would make things more fun and exciting at Carver.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I’ve said it many times. Been to countless games in the 80’s and 90’s where you could not converse with the person next to you as it was deafening.

And yes, fieldhouseman, we know the FH was louder.
And those fans were loud even though they didn't have seats that wrapped around the opponent's bench

hawkeyeguy69

HR All-American
Oct 1, 2001
All great ideas Suter! I still say the food court needs to be a mezzanine type area, in the middle of the stands, roughly rows 20-30 in sections B-AA & N-MM.

Good food court and some brews. With sky boxes on top...

Could put them behind the baskets too. With first come first served seating for rabid fans/students only , below the food court.

That would be an awesome renovation idea for Carver. Use your powers and Make it happen Suter! :)

There is no doubt that Carver can get loud, none whatsoever.When the crowd is rockin' it's great.
1) I would like to see the black seats behind the benches as rowdy student seats. It could serve to intimidate our opponents and fire up our players.
2) I would like to have a food court behind the basket opposite the band that has some nice food offerings and sells beer. Get rid of some of those seats and have a nice common area that would add to the festivities and be more of an event.
3) I would like to have a giant tiger hawk outside on the roof of Carver, beautifully illuminated that could be seen from a long way away. It would add to the excitement on the walk into the arena.
4) Make a Grand entrance into Carver that is a walk through Iowa Basketball history. Retired jerseys, photos of Hawkeye greats, trophys etc. This would help get the blood flowing on your way in to Carver.
5) Let the students in for free. The students provide the energy, the blue hairs provide the dollars. You must have both.

I like these ideas and I think they would make things more fun and exciting at Carver.

Reactions: Suterman
A

anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba

The design of Carver is horrible, and there's no way around that. But at the same time, yes, the fans can--and have--overcome that huge challenge. Just not so much lately.

The Iowa Athletic Dept. hasn't done anything to help create the kind of atmosphere that makes Wisconsin, Nebraska, Illinois, Purdue, et. al., such great places for the home team. If Barta were doing everything he could to help the fans do their part, well then, that would be that. But he isn't, and it's a shame. The Hawkeyes deserve better. So again, it's up to the fans to make it happen in spite of Carver and Barta.

CeMar_Clone

HR Legend
Jul 20, 2001
The design of Carver is horrible, and there's no way around that. But at the same time, yes, the fans can--and have--overcome that huge challenge. Just not so much lately.

The Iowa Athletic Dept. hasn't done anything to help create the kind of atmosphere that makes Wisconsin, Nebraska, Illinois, Purdue, et. al., such great places for the home team. If Barta were doing everything he could to help the fans do their part, well then, that would be that. But he isn't, and it's a shame. The Hawkeyes deserve better. So again, it's up to the fans to make it happen in spite of Carver and Barta.
I think the problem with CHA is not so much the building, becasue it used to be pretty tough place with Lute and Dr. Tom. WHen the place is full, it can be loud. The problem is that the fan base knows what Fran produces, and they are not showing up, they have no confidence in Frans' teams. Get the right coach, and you could see the place rocking again.

Walleye70

HR MVP
Gold Member
Apr 10, 2013
Students never attend- need to have 2500 Pom Pom girls as that group already is bigger than students attending

Reactions: chuck285
Jan 19, 2019
Students never attend- need to have 2500 Pom Pom girls as that group already is bigger than students attending

I know that's been the narrative during the Fran era but the students show up when the team is good now. The Wisconsin game is a good example, students filled it up but elsewhere there were scattered empty seats. On a Friday night.

Students can't single handedly create Carver's atmosphere. Especially with half of them in the nosebleeds.

hawkeyeguy69

HR All-American
Oct 1, 2001
I was in college during the beginning of the Tom Davis era, and we did NOT have bad seats! Even the bad seats were not behind the basket.

Yes, winning certainly helps. However, there has never really been good, or even great seats for students at Iowa. Except for a handful. The evil Alfraud did the best of any coach for students at Iowa. And even that was a fail.

Fix the student section. Create the culture. Let the students be some additional motivation for the players AND the fans. It is absolutely possible. Do not try it Barta, DO IT!

I think the problem with CHA is not so much the building, becasue it used to be pretty tough place with Lute and Dr. Tom. WHen the place is full, it can be loud. The problem is that the fan base knows what Fran produces, and they are not showing up, they have no confidence in Frans' teams. Get the right coach, and you could see the place rocking again.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba

L. Wade Childress

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2001
Carver obviously has some issues with its design. Mainly, Having no mezzanine. That is just ridiculous. A middle level area for fans to use the can, get something to eat, and/or stretch your legs is a necessity for any venue... It's like if Kinnick had the section entrances on the top row. What the...?

Could they add a midsection? Yes. There are offices they could use on the north side. But consessions/bathrooms on the south side would take some digging... But it is possible... Then take out 4-5 rows and make a walkway around to middle of Carver. With access to both concession/bathroom areas. Then add some much needed elevators.

They really messed up 40 years ago when they went too cheap. They saved a whooping $2 million, for a lifetime of issues. It's not like our fan demographics suddenly changed. Our fanbase has always been older.

AS FOR THE CROWD the issue with noise can still be fixed. Put the first 300-400 students to show to the game on the floor around the baskets. First to come, get the seats... Have general admission right behind that.

For those season ticket holders skipping the games, set something up so tickets can be purchased at Will Call. Good seats for bigtime fans who do not regularly go. Like an NIT game...

My two cents

Where do you plan on finding those students?

Reactions: chuck285

L. Wade Childress

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2001
I was in college during the beginning of the Tom Davis era, and we did NOT have bad seats! Even the bad seats were not behind the basket.

Yes, winning certainly helps. However, there has never really been good, or even great seats for students at Iowa. Except for a handful. The evil Alfraud did the best of any coach for students at Iowa. And even that was a fail.

Fix the student section. Create the culture. Let the students be some additional motivation for the players AND the fans. It is absolutely possible. Do not try it Barta, DO IT!

Look at a student seating chart

WildIowaCat

All-Conference
Mar 19, 2010

My two cents

Somebody pin this post please. Or can we mass produce this and drop about 500,000 pamphlets on the Iowa AD? Great ideas, and points.

WildIowaCat

All-Conference
Mar 19, 2010
guys...we are comparing the environment for arguably the best wrestling program in the country vs an average, at best, big ten b-ball program. There hasn’t been much to be excited for over the years.

Winning cures all.

Arizona sells out Mckale center every game even on down years like this season. Because the fans refuse to let anyone come into our house and have it easy. And once apathy sets in its a bear to get rid of. Yes, winning will bring alll the Johnny come lately’s but good facility management will create a tougher venue and get some of those wins before the band wagoneers make getting a seat impossible.

As far as student placement, AZ students are behind the baskets and it’s fine. However, there is a big difference in the organization and priority of the involvement of students between the two programs.
Wins and losses shouldn’t be affecting student participation or effectiveness the way you all describe it.

Last edited:

L. Wade Childress

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2001
I know that's been the narrative during the Fran era but the students show up when the team is good now. The Wisconsin game is a good example, students filled it up but elsewhere there were scattered empty seats. On a Friday night.

Students can't single handedly create Carver's atmosphere. Especially with half of them in the nosebleeds.

What? No

chuck285

HR All-American
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2017
IMO you have a couple of big problems:
1. TV - There are too many games that the networks control. Bad times.
We use to probably have all 7 pm games during the week and then on weekends most were on Saturday and probably at 1pm.
Now we have games on Monday thur Sunday and at no certain times. The fans from outside of CR and IC can't get off work to get to these times. If we have a 8 pm games it's midnight and then about a 2 hour drive to get home.
So if I have a bad weather report like yesterday, no way in hell am I going to drive two hours both ways in the snow when I can watch it on tv and get to bed before 2 am.
I know, a lot of you will bitch I'm not a true fan but this is real life.

ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

HR Heisman
Apr 17, 2002
IMO you have a couple of big problems:
1. TV - There are too many games that the networks control. Bad times.
We use to probably have all 7 pm games during the week and then on weekends most were on Saturday and probably at 1pm.
Now we have games on Monday thur Sunday and at no certain times. The fans from outside of CR and IC can't get off work to get to these times. If we have a 8 pm games it's midnight and then about a 2 hour drive to get home.
So if I have a bad weather report like yesterday, no way in hell am I going to drive two hours both ways in the snow when I can watch it on tv and get to bed before 2 am.
I know, a lot of you will bitch I'm not a true fan but this is real life.
I personally fully blame the IC-CR area for our poor attendance.

Every excuse you made is the same thing for ISU. But yet they pack the gym almost every single game!

Is the DM-Ames area that much better of fans?? I’m beginning to think so.

Feb 25, 2008

Told you all.......

Ihawkhoops

HR All-American
Dec 10, 2015
Good points but that was the Fab 5 it looks like on a CBS nationally televised game before the proliferation of BTN, FS1, multiple ESPN's and countless other entertainment options. This was also back when there was a lot of love for Iowa hoops vs. Alford + Lickliter + Fran toiling in mediocrity. March matters and until Fran can do something relevant (like compete or God willing win a 2nd round game) most people aren't going to be that interested in Iowa hoops.

I am a rabid Iowa hoops fan because my mom and dad were. I grew up listening to games on WMT, VHS recording games when at work, staying up late to watch the replays or coach's show and thinking it was Christmas when they were on CBS. We don't have kids but none of my neighbor's kids care about Iowa basketball or football. When the games are on they are gaming with their friends who are also not interested.

I think wrestling fans are more passionate about the sport and a younger demographic therefore more into the event. Not sure what ticket prices are but suspect they are less than hoops. It is disappointing to see Nebraska and Illinois with much better environments than CHA.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

ThriceHawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2005
NIT games usually create great environments at Carver. You get regular season ticket holders out of there and get people who want to cheer loud. I went to a game early this year. It was Green Bay who we were playing. I was standing up yelling and cheering and people were looking at me like I was on drugs. It is definitely the normals who are there who are the big issue.

This x100!! I went to the TCU game and the place was loud and engaged. Then went to the ISU game this year and it was embarrassing. That was a big game, at home against an instate rival and as soon as the game tipped off... everyone sat down! Fvcking blew my mind. The place was a morgue through most of the first half. That's clearly on the season ticket holders, even though those who do cheer loudly might not want to admit it.

Last edited:

And1Hawk

HR Heisman
Mar 13, 2015
I disagree completely as we need a new basketball first arena by either a complete remodel of CHA or new arena that is smaller in size with seats tight around the court. Students would occupy both ends of the baskets but not be 25+ feet away depending on the seat location. Smaller in size for the average, not the apex crowd and moments. Tight sight lines and better amenities. Suites and a mid level concourse with a stats ribbon all the way around that mid level section.

CHA is an albatross and yes I have gone and go to many games. It’s outdated big time and nothing you can sell recruits on that speaks to a program on the move. We will never attract a high level coach or keep one with this.

rufus-hawk

HR MVP
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002

They could make a HUGE difference, but they simply do not, sorry. I sit right next to them quite a bit and I am often louder than they are. I’d certainly be OK with letting them in for free and giving them both ends down low like other schools if that would help.

hawksense

HR MVP
Jan 16, 2002
Games on neutral courts, NIT games, games at alternative sites in Iowa (the game at the Mark in Moline comes to mind), games at pre-confernece tournaments all pull in passionate and loud fans.

Tell me what I'm missing?

Suterman

HR Legend
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2003

Okay so my question is this. These people that are so wild and passionate at the NIT games......where are they? Why don't they attend on a regular basis? The season ticket holders are older, but they put down their money and they brave the elements to go to the games. Where are these passionate fans that go to the NIT games but not regular season games?