It's 100% clear to me that CHA is not the problem after watching the wrestling meet last night

L. Wade Childress

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2001
Pointing out Apex moments in time does not hide the fact we have an arena design problem. There are far too many nights where it’s not like this. We can’t sell our arena and home court environment to recruits. It’s outdated and ineffective. This is also Iowa so we have to be willing to do more and be very, very smart about our vision. There is no vision right now and it shows with CHA.

Doing a rinse and repeat then celebrating a good environment for 10% or less of the home contests will not cut it. There’s a reason beyond just the coach that our last sweet sixteen was 1999 and the one prior to that was 1988. It’s been 20 years and 2 in 30 years spanning 4 different coaches. A bad arena design and poor home court advantage costs us seeding in the NCAA tournament and recruits.

We need our home court advantage to generate more wins and be a venue that no one wins at. We have losses at home already to Wisky & MSU that should have been wins. Win those 2 and we are 19-3, 8-3 in the B1G right now. Dramatic difference in seeding which leads to a greater probability of a sweet 16 or better run. Instead we will likely be in the dreaded 8-9 seed line when it’s all said and done. Seeding makes a big difference.

No vision!!!!! Get the **** outta here

dfelg11404

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2009
I may be an outlier but my go to seats every time we go is mid court / top few rows. Stand whenever, however long I please with no bitchin from behind. Usually surrounded by both Iowa and opposing fans which provides a unique experience listening to the differing opinions as the game goes on.plus the random drunk older gentleman always found in then top rows there are a ****in hoot.

L. Wade Childress

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2001
Let me guess, there’s so much vision you don’t have time to state it all.

Our athletic department just dropped one of the most modern and creative stadium renovations in the country into a footprint that’s barely bigger than your moms house.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
again, we don't have an arena issue; we have a fan issue.

even when Iowa was playing piss poor it does not mean fans can't stand up & cheer "lets go hawks" to try to get something going.

fans went to the game for a reason (TO CHEER ON THE HAWKS) & fans can't expect perfection at every game. BUT THEY CAN STILL CHEER ON THE HAWKS NO MATTER WHAT!

and of course, fans left early and missed the ending. the arena did not cause the early evacuation; the fans did that on their own.

the fans. the fans did that on their own.

LetsGoHawks83

HR Legend
Mar 20, 2015
again, we don't have an arena issue; we have a fan issue.

even when Iowa was playing piss poor it does not mean fans can't stand up & cheer "lets go hawks" to try to get something going.

fans went to the game for a reason (TO CHEER ON THE HAWKS) & fans can't expect perfection at every game. BUT THEY CAN STILL CHEER ON THE HAWKS NO MATTER WHAT!

and of course, fans left early and missed the ending. the arena did not cause the early evacuation; the fans did that on their own.

the fans. the fans did that on their own.

I'll cut the fans a little slack last night. They got loud several times when the team was still down 10+, but it to single digits. Crowd knew that stops and a comeback were possible.

Then multiple times we give up a layup to push the deficit back above 10pts.

I will say that I would have stayed until the bitter end (never leave early). But I would have been pissed at the team for the first 36 mins of game time. Not an enjoyable game to watch, as we know they can do better.

LetsGoHawks83

HR Legend
Mar 20, 2015
Maybe compare that NW game to getting a root canal? Painful and not real enjoyable, but a good outcome? :). Any other analogies?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I'll cut the fans a little slack last night. They got loud several times when the team was still down 10+, but it to single digits. Crowd knew that stops and a comeback were possible.

Then multiple times we give up a layup to push the deficit back above 10pts.

I will say that I would have stayed until the bitter end (never leave early). But I would have been pissed at the team for the first 36 mins of game time. Not an enjoyable game to watch, as we know they can do better.
yeah, the first 35 1/2 min sucked but why do so many people think its a CHA issue?

when you go to sporting events, anything can happen. look at the NFL, the NBA, you name it. sometimes the team is off & you go home unhappy.

for Vikings fans, its not a US Bank Stadium issue; sometimes the Vikings play like crap & lose to the damn Buffalo Bills!

sometimes you blow a team out.

sometimes you have to wait until the very end to see what happens. last night at CHA. last year in the playoffs at US Bank Stadium vs the New Orleans Saints (the Minneapolis Miracle).

i know a lot of us watched at home last night until the very end.

:)

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
and if you want more students there?

if i were in the AD dept, i would pull out all stops to get the students to come to games:

* Free pizza, chips and bottled water for every game.

Get a pizza sponsor. Get Frito Lay as a sponsor. Get Coke or Pepsi as a sponsor. Have them = provide the food and drink for free.

* Cheap/free tickets

* MANY buses running non stop before & after the games.

* Look at everything. What else can be improved?

CHA is loud & intimidating when you have people there who make some noise.

Its not an arena problem. Its a fan problem.

LetsGoHawks83

HR Legend
Mar 20, 2015
Free tickets for students and sell beer. Problems solved.

Free Beer? :)

But seriously the free pizza, drinks, and tickets. That'd get some more students. Although, what do you do once the demand for student tickets reaches their max allotment? May be good to make students have a little "skin in the game"

Suterman

HR Legend
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2003
so its not an arena problem, correct?
Some arena tweaking could help, but the experience needs to be better. I have had no problem whatsoever enjoying this season in basketball. We need students to get the energy in the building. Buildings contain no energy in and of themselves.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Some arena tweaking could help, but the experience needs to be better. I have had no problem whatsoever enjoying this season in basketball. We need students to get the energy in the building. Buildings contain no energy in and of themselves.
I am totally in favor of constantly tweaking and improving things.

As an example; Target Field in Minneapolis has been named by many as one of the best ballparks in America. Nevertheless, they have been tweaking it almost every off season. But what makes the ball park loud? The fans filling it up.

Regarding the experience at CHA: I guess I don't understand fans now a days. I go to watch a game; the ENTERTAINMENT for me is THE GAME. Hell, walking up to the venue gets me excited and fired up. I don't go to a game for all the side show gimmicks. I don't need gimmicks to get me excited and fired up.

I agree with you. You need a full student section & as I have stated above, I would pull out all stops. FEED THEM BEFORE THE GAME. 2 damn pieces of pizza, a bag of chips & a bottled water. It's only 17 home games, after all.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
When you stick around for the entire game, cool stuff like this happens:

DzJGaFOUwAA4gxb.jpg

DzJGaFNVsAAT9ys.jpg

DzJGaFOVYAAKugY.jpg

Reactions: fivec61

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
This x100!! I went to the TCU game and the place was loud and engaged. Then went to the ISU game this year and it was embarrassing. That was a big game, at home against an instate rival and as soon as the game tipped off... everyone sat down! Fvcking blew my mind. The place was a morgue through most of the first half. That's clearly on the season ticket holders, even though those who do cheer loudly might not want to admit it.
As you demonstrate, there is nothing wrong with CHA. It gets loud with loud enthusiastic fans.

ThriceHawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2005
As you demonstrate, there is nothing wrong with CHA. It gets loud with loud enthusiastic fans.

I wouldn't say there is nothing wrong with it, there are a few things I dislike about Carver (the aisles down by the court are waaay too close together, location of the arena is bad for students, I don't like the student seating location and the comfy seats they have, etc.). But it can definitely be louder than it is currently with better fan engagement.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I wouldn't say there is nothing wrong with it, there are a few things I dislike about Carver (the aisles down by the court are waaay too close together, location of the arena is bad for students, I don't like the student seating location and the comfy seats they have, etc.). But it can definitely be louder than it is currently with better fan engagement.
As i said above, a lot of venues have tweaks in off seasons. The Twins have tweaked Target Field several times. The Vikings are even going to tweak US Bank Stadium.
But if the fans don't show up, those tweaks don't matter much because neither Target Field for the Twins nor US Bank Stadium for the Vikings will be much of a home field advantage
without noise from the fans.

Carver has been tweaked, too. I do wish fans would be closer behind the baskets but that might have to do with complying with the Americans w/ Disabilities Act.

Bottom line, fans should be coming for the game & to see their team, whether it be the Twins, the Vikings or the Hawks. They should not be coming for the side shows or because of the half time shows (that's when you check your phone or go get an ice cream cone!).

fivec61

Scout Team
Nov 5, 2018
Carver has been tweaked, too. I do wish fans would be closer behind the baskets but that might have to do with complying with the Americans w/ Disabilities Act.................

Is that really the reason they have 40 feet of empty open space in front of the disabled seating behind basket on Iowa bench side?

They clearly could have done this different and still accommodated handicapped seating.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Is that really the reason they have 40 feet of empty open space in front of the disabled seating behind basket on Iowa bench side?

They clearly could have done this different and still accommodated handicapped seating.
i totally agree; i think all that space behind the baskets is ridiculous

how the hell do you create an intimidating environment when you push the fans away from the action like that? sure, it can still get loud, but still....

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa

@fivec61 watch this video and look at how close the Rutgers fans are to Connor.

and our fans? they are pushed WAAAaaay back behind the basket.

HobbieHawk

HR Heisman
Dec 2, 2002
NIT games usually create great environments at Carver. You get regular season ticket holders out of there and get people who want to cheer loud. I went to a game early this year. It was Green Bay who we were playing. I was standing up yelling and cheering and people were looking at me like I was on drugs. It is definitely the normals who are there who are the big issue.
THIS!! This is exactly the problem
I love the atmosphere for those NIT games. Reminded me of the Fieldhouse.
That's why I want Iowa to participate in some lesser post-season tournaments in the down years

Anecdote: I got some tix last year & was assaulted by an old woman for standing during halftime (F*****g HALFTIME!) because she couldn't see the dog show

And1Hawk

HR Heisman
Mar 13, 2015
I disagree, the arena has a lot of issues but our fans do their best under apex crowds to make it the best it can be. You are celebrating fan involvement but attributing that to the arena.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye

IowaPeach

Scout Team
Jul 1, 2003
My son and I were at the Capital One bowl when the Hawks won on the last play, we were at the Michigan football game a few years ago when we won on the last play field goal and we were at the game last night. In each case Iowa had a pausible chance of winning and in each case there were tons of fans that left giving up on them. It use to irritate to no end that this happen but now I just laugh at their stupidity by giving up on "their" team

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
We have a fan problem.

Not an arena problem.

Do fans actually go to games to knit? Apparently so.

Watch THE YOUNG WOMAN CLOSEST TO THE CAMERA HERE:

go-hawks37

All-Conference
Nov 6, 2013
Place was electric last night. The DJ is awesome, he helps cover up the stupid promos.

Here are the needed tweets:

1. Free student tickets, wrap student section around opposition bench. First come first serve for the kids. The kids are why we have the school. It should be about them. Free pizza and Red Bull at half.

2. Create an actual suite section including TV’s, wet bar and rest rooms. Also includes premium stadium seats. These suites will be on the top half of the current student section. Go all out on this, quality is important. Not the cheap shit they tried this year. Alcohol option in these suites.

3. Fan experience, shorten or drop the promos. Keep the band and DJ every game.

4. Parking. Create two large parking ramps. One on the east side and one on the west. Make the ramps capable to take many cars into the ramp quickly. Get more people close to the venue. Traffic congestion needs to be improved.

bansheexyz

All-Conference
Sep 24, 2017
I've come to terms with the fact that Iowa is not a basketball school and it's hard for fans, especially older fans, to be loud during the game. I mean... this school built a new $70mil rec center in 2010 with only three bball courts. Two of the courts regularly get shut down for soccer and volleyball, leaving 40 guys waiting an hour+ to play games. They also use the courts as an event room.

Basketball is an afterthought here, this school will never field a final four team in my lifetime and keeping any instate recruits will be a miracle. We're very lucky to have guys like Horner and JoeW stay. Again, I've resigned myself to it and I love this team anyway.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Sorry, I meant second parking ramp on the South.
if they would construct ramps, they would need traffic cops to help everyone get out quickly.

i have been in parking ramps after professional games in downtown Minneapolis and the lines just don't move fast enough. And sometimes to get in line is next to impossible because no one will let you get in line.

Reactions: dawgs_04