It's 100% clear to me that CHA is not the problem after watching the wrestling meet last night

IAChief32

HR Heisman
Apr 21, 2017
In 6 home basketball games, Iowa is averaging 10,307 fans.
https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats
In the two home wrestling duals, the attendance has been the following:
UTC- 10,466
Wisconsin- 10,603

I'd suggest that you get tickets and check out a wrestling dual, but it's most likely that it'll be sold out, so that is pointless.

And really, it's not fair to compare basketball attendance to wrestling attendance b/c 5,000 wrestling fans make more noise than 10,000 basketball fans.

But seriously, come out to a dual and then post here about how the arena is "too comfortable" and "not built for noise".

They even have a term for it in the wrestling world where an Iowa guy who has no business winning a match does it; the opposing wrestler got “Carvered”

Reactions: Mr Duke Silver

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Oh, goodie. The bump-master brought this thread back.

One of the City Slickers cows is below showing what he thinks:

1518184444964.jpg
Just a friendly reminder from your head basketball coach that we seem to have a "Carver sucks" thread at least a couple times a year.

Reactions: chuck285

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
One thing I don't understand with the redesign is why they pushed the seats so far back (behind the baskets AND along the baselines). As you can see below, there is PLENTY of room for a wheel chair to get around. The arena still seats 15,500, but still.

This was a pic taken last night. Fans are not on top of the action. At all.

ELYlVOXWkAAys6C

L. Wade Childress

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2001
One thing I don't understand with the redesign is why they pushed the seats so far back (behind the baskets AND along the baselines). As you can see below, there is PLENTY of room for a wheel chair to get around. The arena still seats 15,500, but still.

This was a pic taken last night. Fans are not on top of the action. At all.

ELYlVOXWkAAys6C

the idea that 10-15 feet behind the baseline would affect anything is completely absurd

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I watched a YouTube clip of the Wisconsin game from Gatens’ senior year and the place was rocking.

Carver still has plenty of issues but I think the lack of home court advantage is probably fan driven more than anything (i.e. leaving with five mins left).

And here we are, 3 years later, with the same issues.

Students don't go to the games. The adults say the 6 pm tip is too early and the 8 pm tip is too late.

Fans on here bitch that no one goes to the games yet these same fans are not at the games.

We definitely continue to have a fan problem.

Ronman

HR Heisman
Jan 4, 2004
Planet Iowa
There are some schools that, for whatever the reasons, just don't draw for basketball. I watched two games last night, one at Oklahoma St. and one at Clemson, both of which were hosting conference games to half empty arenas, and that's being charitable. Iowa understandably doesn't draw well for their preseason cupcake schedule, but usually has pretty decent crowds for conference games. Maybe not as rowdy as Purdue, Illinois, Michigan St, etc, but the fans at least show up and do create a home atmosphere for the team.

BBHawk

HR Legend
Oct 31, 2001
Iowa City
There are some schools that, for whatever the reasons, just don't draw for basketball. I watched two games last night, one at Oklahoma St. and one at Clemson, both of which were hosting conference games to half empty arenas, and that's being charitable. Iowa understandably doesn't draw well for their preseason cupcake schedule, but usually has pretty decent crowds for conference games. Maybe not as rowdy as Purdue, Illinois, Michigan St, etc, but the fans at least show up and do create a home atmosphere for the team.
Iowa had a great basketball fan base/attendance record until Alford and Lickliter killed it. Alford lost a LOT of season ticket holders who just wouldn't go during the PP scandals, then lost interest for the most part during the last few years. Lickliter was so aloof about fans that he didn't bring people back en mass, then he did a crap job of coaching and recruiting. I was a season ticket holder throughout those years and until 2020. Routinely actual attendance was no more that 75% of announced attendance, if even that.

Reactions: Franisdaman

Rifler

HR Legend
Jan 26, 2011
The problem with basketball at Carver is that Carver wasn't designed specifically for basketball...

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa

IIRC, Iowa sells the tickets; we seem to be Top 25 on a regular basis.

The problem? Those sold tickets don't get used.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Iowa had a great basketball fan base/attendance record until Alford and Lickliter killed it. Alford lost a LOT of season ticket holders who just wouldn't go during the PP scandals, then lost interest for the most part during the last few years. Lickliter was so aloof about fans that he didn't bring people back en mass, then he did a crap job of coaching and recruiting. I was a season ticket holder throughout those years and until 2020. Routinely actual attendance was no more that 75% of announced attendance, if even that.

On Jan 29, 2020, Iowa was 15-5 overall, 6-3 in the Big Ten, and ranked 18th in the two national polls, and in the chase for the conference title.

The attendance should have been good.....right?

Iowa's average attendance at home up to that point in that season was just 11,393. It was 11,774 for B1G home games. Carver-Hawkeye Arena holds approximately 15,000 fans.

As you noted, actual scanned tickets is a different story.

Source:

Reactions: BBHawk

BBHawk

HR Legend
Oct 31, 2001
Iowa City
The problem with basketball at Carver is that Carver wasn't designed specifically for basketball...
There really isn't a bad seat in the house. I know, I said it several of them :)

The Fieldhouse had a lot of limited visibility seats. I sat in a few of them, too. I sat behind a column/support for my first game. I had to look around it the whole damn game.

hawkjt

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2004
Ayear.Attendance fell off late in Dr.Toms run then picked up in first 4 yrs of SA run, then started dropping.
Lick never got it going.
And by now it is just a whole different set of challenges to deal with.
Scheduling,game times ECT contribute big time.
Thurs/Sat games of the past helped a lot.

retrodent

HR MVP
Dec 18, 2001
TV and conference sets some unusual start times. Use to be big ten played same two days of each week and a set start time. It is now pretty hard to expect fans that live far

iahawks10

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2001
IIRC, Iowa sells the tickets; we seem to be Top 25 on a regular basis.

The problem? Those sold tickets don't get used.

This is a picture of the WIU game last week. Tickets sold were 15,050 (sell out). At most there were 12,000-12,500. Fans at home watching suggested 6,000 fans in the game thread.

The top 10 rows of every section was completely filled around the entire arena. There were another 1,000-2,000 fans on the concourse either watching from there or in a concession line of some sort.

As you’ll see, there are large blocks of premium seats going unused. This was the under 12:00 TO in the first half.

6065x1.jpg

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
The B1G gave Iowa a Saturday B1G home game for the first time in TWO YEARS.

See what happens when the place fills up? The place gets loud & Iowa wins comfortably by 17.

Even the PSU Head Coach complimented the fans and the environment. And remember, he was an assistant at Purdue for 2 years.

chuck285

HR All-American
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2017
Humm....I can't believe that Iowa sold out a basketball game?? Could it be that it was a Saturday afternoon game against to top 10 team in the nation? 😇 Or was it because fans could drive in from all over the state with decent weather and plenty of time to show up and then stay over night if needed?
Probably would have been better if all the big donors would not have shown up in the front rows. And they probably stayed until the game was over and not like the students heading for the bars with 10 min. to go.....

Reactions: iahawkeyes17

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Attendance (tickets sold) vs Purdue: 12,723

The number of tickets scanned is another story. But again, this was a Thursday, 8 pm tip. And as we now know, Iowa only has 3 weekend home B1G games; Purdue has 8.

Nevertheless, the crowd that was there was into it, as you can see here.

joemc2

HR All-American
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2001
I'd take that with a grain of salt. PSU might be the only conference arena less alive on game night than Carver.
Too bad Iowa Athletics has such a debt burden(largest in B1G) from past facility improvements largely football. Carver is a facility that is in a bad location , has bad seating arrangements, and very vanilla; a downtown facility would solve a lot of issues, but the prior commitments make it too expensive to consider. Doesn’t surprise me that wrestling gets those kind of crowds; wrestling is somewhat of a cult sport at the few programs that are at the top. Not a large # of people interested compared to football or basketball, but those that are into it are rabid and all in.

denmar81

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 26, 2006
Ayear.Attendance fell off late in Dr.Toms run then picked up in first 4 yrs of SA run, then started dropping.
Lick never got it going.
And by now it is just a whole different set of challenges to deal with.
Scheduling,game times ECT contribute big time.
Thurs/Sat games of the past helped a lot.
Thurs/Sat games were huge. Went to many Thursday games, took Friday off.

iahawkeyes17

HR Heisman
Apr 22, 2014
Iowa wrestling fans are great and bring it. Carver gets LOUD.

Iowa basketball fans? Not so much.

I'll give wrestling fans an edge they are more passionate and loyal than bball fans. Students especially being fair weather anymore will show up when we are good in bball where as Wrestling always one of the top teams in the nation. However every meet they have is on a Friday, Saturday night or Sunday afternoon. Plus have far less fewer meets so supply and demand of seeing them is different. If they wrestled Purdue on Thursday at 6pm I'm sure it wouldn't be the same like wrestling Minn on a Friday night. As mentioned weeks ago Fran wasn't pleased with Iowa getting only 3 games on the weekend compared to other teams getting 7-8 conference games. Throw in our awful non conference schedule and reason why fans aren't showing. Funny against a below avg PSU team sold out our one conference Saturday game. We've seen over the years how loud it can get when we have some games on Friday and especially Saturdays. Reminds me of going to game during Weiskamp's freshman year playing ranked Michigan on a Friday night. Place was rocking.

But with football and bball you need the students to show. They add that extra bit of excitement to the crowd and Iowa needs to do something to get the students to the game. Was at the Nebraska game and the student turn out for a Sunday game was pretty bad.

sm_hawkeye

Team MVP
Jan 26, 2011
Milwaukee bucks old arena was probably fine for hockey, but just felt weird for basketball. Carver can be loud sure, but it’s actual design is more in mind for wrestling. Basketball games are more exciting close to the action. They have to know they could be making more money having suites sold to big donors. So maybe eventually they’ll actually do something different sure. But i bet that conversation will happen when we are looking for our next coach.

blhawk

HR All-American
Oct 30, 2001
Iowa wrestling fans are great and bring it. Carver gets LOUD.

Iowa basketball fans? Not so much.

Is it really that complicated of a concept that fans of the defending national champions who have been ranked 1 or 2 all year might be a tad more engaged than the team who is unranked, can't beat a good team, and a lot of the fans can't stand the coach? If Fran could deliver a solid product Carver would be rockin. He can't. It's very simple

Reactions: MikeyHawk

wneff

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2003
I'll give wrestling fans an edge they are more passionate and loyal than bball fans. Students especially being fair weather anymore will show up when we are good in bball where as Wrestling always one of the top teams in the nation. However every meet they have is on a Friday, Saturday night or Sunday afternoon. Plus have far less fewer meets so supply and demand of seeing them is different. If they wrestled Purdue on Thursday at 6pm I'm sure it wouldn't be the same like wrestling Minn on a Friday night. As mentioned weeks ago Fran wasn't pleased with Iowa getting only 3 games on the weekend compared to other teams getting 7-8 conference games. Throw in our awful non conference schedule and reason why fans aren't showing. Funny against a below avg PSU team sold out our one conference Saturday game. We've seen over the years how loud it can get when we have some games on Friday and especially Saturdays. Reminds me of going to game during Weiskamp's freshman year playing ranked Michigan on a Friday night. Place was rocking.

But with football and bball you need the students to show. They add that extra bit of excitement to the crowd and Iowa needs to do something to get the students to the game. Was at the Nebraska game and the student turn out for a Sunday game was pretty bad.
And wrestling consists of 10 separate “games,” to win or lose in addition to the team score. Further, if any of those 10 are blowouts, they end early.

Last edited:
Reactions: iahawkeyes17

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Last night, the Iowa women beat #10 Indiana 88-82. The arena was roughly 50% full yet the place was LOUD.

Tickets sold / distributed were 7,510;
actually butts in the seats were probably a bit less. Capacity of CHA is now 15,000.

When the Iowa women went on 9-0 run and took a 74-70 lead the arena once came alive and got very LOUD.

We don't have an arena problem, folks. Even when it's half full CHA gets plenty loud when those in attendance make some noise.

Check this out:

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Everyone knows it’s not Carver. Could they do something with Carver to make it louder, sure, but the wrestling and WBB fans prove you can be loud now.

when I go to games, i am there to have fun, take in some concessions, enjoy the game and make some noise. And CHA gets very loud when everyone is there to help the home team win.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
same here as far as Street Michigan game..if you recall we got off to a poor start (like 9-0) his teammates were so jacked up...and the crowd just didn't get loud on occasion...it was non-stop..the fans in the stands refused to stop...it was almost like telling the players 'you will not lose this game'..

it's been almost 30 years...things were different back then...generational? maybe.. Glad I was there .. now I get to go to the doctor to figure out why Im having dizzy spells and its freaken snowing slush/ice,

its NOT the building, its who and/or who is not in it.
congrats Hawkeye women...and for those who were able to be there.

thanks for your perspective on CHA, Bob.

People have been bitching about CHA over the last several years and I agree with you; it's not the building, its who and/or who is not in it.

drive safe & i hope you get good news at the doctor's office.

jamesvanderwulf

HR Legend
Nov 27, 2015
People's Republic of Johnson County
Big X Games at HCA as % of capacity:

Illinois =========== 80%
Maryland =========69%
Indiana===========75%
Penn State========100%
Purdue===========85%
Minnesota========97%
Nebraska=========92%