It's 100% clear to me that CHA is not the problem after watching the wrestling meet last night

iahawkeyes17

HR Heisman
Apr 22, 2014
yep.

Men's basketball has a fan problem. As we saw today, Women's basketball does not. And wresting does not, either.
Senior day playing for big 10 title and first 2 ncaa games it was sold out. Been least a decade since that had happened for a womens game. But the women are usually lucky to get half full and usually have the curtains down half way up the arena. Let’s not act like the last 3 games were the norm for them.

Hawktheworld

HR MVP
Oct 12, 2009
It's an NCAA tourney game and they are coming off an elite 8 and sweet 16 and playing go to another, little different than Penn St in January dumbass. What a stupid comparison. A program that can't make a sweet 16 deserves nothing, it's a bitch ass coach problem
He just doesn't want to change handles since his life's work has been put into this...

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
What a poor take. Comparing an 8pm week night start vs a noon Sunday Sweet 16 bid game.

I am gald fans turned out today but your take on who shows up and why is not well thought out...or you are just trolling.

What a poor take. And pay attention, will you? Look at the thread title, for starters.

Again, when it comes to men's basketball, the problem is not with the arena.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
It's an NCAA tourney game and they are coming off an elite 8 and sweet 16 and playing go to another, little different than Penn St in January dumbass. What a stupid comparison. A program that can't make a sweet 16 deserves nothing, it's a bitch ass coach problem

So, after sorting though your dumb ass post, it's clear that you feel we don't have an arena problem.

And you are part of the fan problem.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Senior day playing for big 10 title and first 2 ncaa games it was sold out. Been least a decade since that had happened for a womens game. But the women are usually lucky to get half full and usually have the curtains down half way up the arena. Let’s not act like the last 3 games were the norm for them.

I agree; sold out games for the Iowa women are far from the norm. But even when CHA is half full for women's games the place is LOUD.

The arena is not the problem. The fans are what make the place loud and alive.

TritonHawkeye

All-Conference
May 30, 2012
What a poor take. And pay attention, will you? Look at the thread title, for starters.

Again, when it comes to men's basketball, the problem is not with the arena.
You were the one making comparisons, I was only calling out your blind perspective

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
You were the one making comparisons, I was only calling out your blind perspective

You are the one with the blind perspective. CHA showed once again today that it is not the problem when it comes to hosting sporting events. The place gets LOUD, even when it's half full, as long as the fans bring it. Today, it was completely full and even more loud and electric because the fans brought it.

TampaHawkfan

HR MVP
Jan 8, 2005
You are the one with the blind perspective. CHA showed once again today that it is not the problem when it comes to hosting sporting events. The place gets LOUD, even when it's half full, as long as the fans bring it. Today, it was completely full and even more loud and electric because the fans brought it.

I haven't read a lot of this thread, but I agree with you 100% here. Yeah, I've read a lot about how much more conducive to noise the old field house was compared to Carver. Sure, that may be. BUT... I grew up in the 80s and 90s, and CHA used to be loud and would rock. One needs to only go out to YouTube and look up some old Iowa games from back then to see what I mean.

These days, the crowds overall seem very passive. I even remember playing #1 MSU on ESPN back in 2016, and the crowd didn't even seem to wake up until mid-way first half or later. Iowa started the game strong and the response from the crowd was polite applause. Are you kidding me? The #1 team in town, 30 years ago, that place would've been nuts from the opening tip. Even the students behind the basket.. Or whoever all the people wearing the yellow shirts are.. I literally didn't know they were there one game, until the camera showed them. All standing there with their hands in their pockets. Even the student section doesn't seem to make much noise. Then I see the Izzone, etc. making noise and being active all game long.

I'm not sure what the deal is, but it's a fan problem far more than it is an arena problem.

Reactions: Franisdaman